/ Packing skis for flying

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mr. K - on 24 Feb 2013
We're flying with our skis for the first time next week, I've bought a double ski bag to transport them in but they look very fragile in there! I've got a strong urge to wrap both sets of bindings in bubblewrap or similar, what do other people do? =o)
farmer on 24 Feb 2013
In reply to Mr. K: understand your concern!.We put each pair in an old towel sleeve and use a piece of old thermorest round the ends and bindings. Many flights and so far so good!!
Carolyn - on 24 Feb 2013
In reply to Mr. K:

Ours have always survived fine, with each pair strapped together but no extra padding. Unless we're short of bag space - I'd wrap a fleece or something useful round them rather than bubblewrap ;-)
blurty - on 24 Feb 2013
In reply to Mr. K:

Skis are tough!

Bubble wrap won't make much difference I'd say (Given a cordura/ padded ski bag)

I just chuck mine in the bag, no problems so far
woolsack - on 24 Feb 2013
In reply to Mr. K: I've used old bed sheets in the past but my skis are nicely battered from battle anyway so I probably wouldn't bother now
dave frost - on 24 Feb 2013
In reply to Mr. K: Ski's are able to take a smashing, but i normally pad them with some clothes. Nothing to delicate as the edges can be sharp. Pants will do.

Ive been doing exactly that sort of packing too.

Dave
Morgan Woods - on 24 Feb 2013
In reply to Mr. K:

Put them flat on the bottom of the bag along side each other. Use a piece of chord, rubber band etc to keep the brakes out the way. As said above skis are tough.
Trangia - on 24 Feb 2013
In reply to Mr. K:

I wrap my thermals and fleeces round them which gives me more space so that I can take a smaller suitcase.
Climbing Pieman on 24 Feb 2013
In reply to blurty & OP
> (In reply to Mr. K)
> Skis are tough!
> Bubble wrap won't make much difference I'd say (Given a cordura/ padded ski bag)

Not that tough sometimes! In last six years two skis damaged - one incident was a front binding broken (which I had replaced in resort - had to rent for three days though) and the other actually bent the entire ski across the tail end. Whatever happened in transit on both occassions I'll never know. Of course it's rare and bubble wrap or clothes will not protect the high forces that must have damaged mine both times, but can't do any harm to cushion the general throwing about damage if you would feel happier. I was unable to claim off insurance for technical reasons for either incident and since the last incident meant I had to throw that pair away, I decided to invest in a sport tube for my new skis. Remember also that poles can be bent easily in a soft bag, but equally bend back reasonably ok - that's where bubble wrap/clothes cushioning helps.
If I was starting again, I would buy a hard case early on as it would have paid for itself many times over. And now with alot of (most?) insurance policies not covering skis whilst in air transit, and with some airline insisting on hard cases full stop, I envisage more opting for hard cases.
craigloon - on 24 Feb 2013
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

> and with some airline insisting on hard cases full stop

Which ones? Just so I know to avoid them.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Climbing Pieman on 24 Feb 2013
In reply to craigloon: Going on basis of what friends have said, I'm told most if not all the US and Canadian ones, so far. A couple of friends went to Canada yesterday and they had to buy hard cases for the skis. With more insurance companies refusing to cover skis in air transit, it's possible EU ones may follow to reduce their risk of claims? I've not heard of a problem with any EU carrier.... yet!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.