/ Summer Holiday Ideas Please: Kids + Adventure Needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
TheGeneralist - on 24 Feb 2013
Please give me some ideas for a decent 2 week summer holiday. Got some quite specific (and possibly mutually exclusive requirements):
Lots of exercise, can be rock climbing or biking.
Kid friendly, ie swimming pools, perhaps easy cycling
Reasonable weather.
Lots of exercise.
Not too expensive
Not too far away.
Lots of exercise.

Transport can be either flying and hire a car or drive our camper van there with the bikes and all the other junk on the back.
BUT: We've driven to the south of France numerous times and it's just too much like hard work to be fun any more. The thought of the 2 day journey back hangs over the holiday like a cloud.
So we're looking for something nearer, but there doesn't appear to be anything that good. Done the massif Central, Ardeche, Briancon, Provence, Frankische Schweiz etc but they all appear to be around 800km plus from Calais.

To be honest it does look like we'd have to suck it up and do the big drive, in which case can anyone recommend good areas to get some good biking/climbing but that also have nice campsite and kid friendly infrastructure.
Father Noel Furlong on 24 Feb 2013
In reply to TheGeneralist:

Easy.....Scotland.....
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:
I knew I shouldn't have used the word "reasonable". Can I belatedly change it to "great".
amy - on 24 Feb 2013

I second Scotland! My parents used to take me and my sister on cycling holidays round the Scottish islands, because they knew the ferries were cheap with bikes. We loved it - cycling all day, staying in hostels, playing on the beach and just incredible places.
redscotti - on 24 Feb 2013
In reply to TheGeneralist: we're off to north spain this summer. Ferry to Santander, so no driving to get there, beaches on the coast, and the Picos de Europa within a half hour drive. Done it before and can recommend it (though my teenage girls are more interested in lying on the beach than in any activities....where did I go wrong?).
donuthead8 - on 24 Feb 2013

Camping in font. Kids love it.
Jerry67 - on 24 Feb 2013
In reply to TheGeneralist: What about Brittany? Great beaches, climbing, bouldering, cycling and not too far.
J
In reply to Jerry67:
Tell me more...
Jerry67 - on 24 Feb 2013
In reply to TheGeneralist: First proviso is I've not been, but I have looked in to it. Along the north coast, aboce Brest there is some good climbing and bouldering. There are various cycle routes too all over Brittany. Quite a good website here
http://goforit.brittanytourism.com/

J
Wonrek - on 24 Feb 2013
In reply to redscotti: I looked at that, have you one it before and are you taking acar with you? I was thinking of going as a foot passenger possibly with bikes.

Would be interested to hear from someone else that's been there as to how feasible this would be.
jimtitt - on 24 Feb 2013
In reply to Jerry67:
IŽd agree with Brittany, we used to go there as kids and I went again with mine year before last and will be back this year we think. Longer drive from Munich though!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.