Biking forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - 30 Years Later

Pyreneenemec - on 25 Feb 2013
I've been getting nostalgic for my cycle-touring days ! Health problems have put out of reach much in the way of alpine climbing, therefore riding a bike seems a better proposition !

My bike at the beginning of the 80's was a Carlton Corsair. I made a number of changes to the equipment, notably the wheels which I found very weak in the spoke department. I became expert in using the spoke-key !

The big question is what to buy today ? I have no interest in mountain-biking whatsoever, so it would be exclusively a 'road-bike'. I also do not want to spend 'silly money' on something. No point in spending hundreds extra on forks as, with any bike and cyclist, they will hardly make any difference at all to my performance.

I regularly check E-bay to see what's on offer second-hand; there's even a decent Carlton Corsair on offer at the moment , starting bid 140 ! Perhaps for reliability, I'd better avoid a museum-piece ! A Cannondale Tour would appear to be a good choice and there was an excellent example on offer for 500.

Over to you. Any reccommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

... not showing 13 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums