Expedition & Alpine forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Zugspitze and Jubilaeumsgrat info.

mmmhumous on 26 Feb 2013
Iím planning a trip to the Zugspitze range in early August, and had a few of questions

Iím pretty happy with the details of getting up to the Zuspitze summit, as weíre going to do it over two days with a overnight stop at the hoellentalanger huette.

However Iíd like a better idea of the timings for the traverse and decent, as this will be a longer day... Iíve seen 8.5hrs quoted for Jubilaeumsgrat and 1.5hrs for the via-Ferrata descent to the Alpspitze Cable car Station.
What sort of pace are those timings based on?

-Eating on the move as an efficient well oiled Alpine machine
-Bumbling along looking for suitable picnic spots.
-Somewhere in between, with minimal faffage

From videos etc. This is my expectation of the Jubilaeumsgrat:
>1/3 walking/easy but exposed scrambling (un-roped or with confidence rope)
<1/3 roped climbing scrambling/abseiling (up to Vdiff)
~1/3 Via Ferrata

Am I right, or is there more climbing/abseiling involved?

Iím presuming thereíll still be snow on the rout in places too (in early Aug)?

If itís obvious weíre going to get benighted, the plan would be to stop at the emergency bothy, but is there somewhere sheltered to bivvy near the cable car station if we miss the last car?

Does membership of the Austrian Alpine club get you memberís rates in the (German Alpine Club) Huts?

Can you book at beds at the Munich Haus or hoellentalanger huette?

Any other tips, tricks, words of wisdom, good places to stay (group of 4-8) etc?
... not showing 15 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums