/ Calling all climbers mountaineers and hill walkers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
R2B on 26 Feb 2013
Hey everyone,

My name is Russ and I am in my third year of university and currently writing up my dissertation. This questionnaire is what I am using in order to collect data for my analysis. If some of you have a spare 2 minutes this questionnaire is only 7 simple questions and does not require any personal information. I only need about 40 all in all so if a few fellow climbers could help me out that would be fantastic.
Thanks very much and if you spot me at the works come and say hi and i'll buy you a cuppa and a flapjack.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8HFB9BB

Russ
mrchewy - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to RusseyB: I was happily filling it in but c'mon - Mount Snowdon? It's Snowdon and I'd have thought that basic stuff like that needed to be correct.
jimtitt - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to mrchewy:
Abandoned, got `Please enter a positive numberī between Q3 and 4
wilkie14c - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to RusseyB:
Section 4 doesn't see to work, I've done what it asks but the page regects my answer and asks for a positive number?
Trangia - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to RusseyB:

"Please enter a positive number" WTF does that mean in relation to the question?
wilkie14c - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:
Also I'm technically older than 44 but not yet 45 so i don't fit into any age bracket provided. That may be me being pedantic though but these things do have to be fool proof to get the best results, rather than a choice of 2 answers that can both fit it needs a defined single answer to each Q.
hope this helps you tweek it
AlisonSmiles - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to RusseyB:

The last question please give your interpretation of climbing mountains didn't make sense. I had to drop out because it kept saying please give a positive value and I couldn't work out which bit it felt I'd done wrong.
Ghastly Rubberfeet on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to RusseyB:
Too many errors!
lowersharpnose - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to RusseyB:

You have wasted my time. Please test drive your survey before inviting folk to fill it out.

TRip - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to RusseyB:

Done, but it is a poor survey.
freerangecat - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to RusseyB:

Sorry, I gave it a go but it was just too confusing and vague.

Cat
cuppatea on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to RusseyB:

Are you studying psychology?

Is this thread, being the reaction to your survey, the *real* research?
phleppy on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to RusseyB: What a waste of time, i have an even bigger headache than the one i started this survey with, sort it out so normal people can use it although the moment has passed now.
The Green Giant - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to RusseyB:

It seems you are using an quantitative approach in order to to gather qualitative data. Just go do some interviews!

A hint with interviews, see if you can get email interviews done so you dont have to write out all the dialogue after they have been completed. I know some people who went mad doing this...
Muel - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to RusseyB:

The survey asked for "climbers", yet all the questions are about walking and mountains? Abandoned.
davo - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to blanchie14c)
> Also I'm technically older than 44 but not yet 45 so i don't fit into any age bracket provided. That may be me being pedantic though but these things do have to be fool proof to get the best results, rather than a choice of 2 answers that can both fit it needs a defined single answer to each Q.
> hope this helps you tweek it

Hmmm... so you are older than 44 but not 45. Are you sure about this?

Pedantic? Or just wrong?
Gordon Stainforth - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to mrchewy:
> (In reply to RusseyB) I was happily filling it in but c'mon - Mount Snowdon? It's Snowdon and I'd have thought that basic stuff like that needed to be correct.

Yes, and Scafell Pike spelt wrong too. A completely arbitrary selection of treks and mountains. I'm afraid I think it's a complete farce, and how anyone can base a 'dissertation' on this defies belief.
johncook - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to RusseyB: Did my best to complete this survey, but it hardly rates as the type of survey I would expect from someone doing their dissertation. Felt much more like a survey designed by a 14 year old with very limited knowledge of climbing, mountaineering and trekking/hill walking. Marks out of 10, 2, could do better, much!
And that is without worrying about being pedantic!
hazeysunshine - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to RusseyB: I give up, it won't accept my response. ok so some of my answers may been a bit negative...
no_more_scotch_eggs - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to johncook:
> (In reply to RusseyB) Did my best to complete this survey, but it hardly rates as the type of survey I would expect from someone doing their dissertation. Felt much more like a survey designed by a 14 year old with very limited knowledge of climbing, mountaineering and trekking/hill walking. Marks out of 10, 2, could do better, much!
> And that is without worrying about being pedantic!

+1

Sorry, this is a poor questionnaire. indeed the spelling errors make me wonder if its actually a troll. All it would need would to have included 'the peaks' as a destination...
R2B on 27 Feb 2013
In reply to johncook: Thanks for the constructive criticism Cookie. I have only met you twice - once at Laurencefield and last month in El Chorro, you're a pleasant man in real life. I'll update this survey and hopefully my 'cleaned up' version gain me the Cookie respect and better than a 2/10 result.

Thanks.
altirando - on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to RusseyB: As a former marketing director, Isuggest your questions make far too many assumptions and have conflicting detail, for instance, the relationship between age and years of experience. What are you trying to discover?
scott titt - on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to jimtitt:
Lucky you didn't get to the brain exploding, grammatical nightmare that is Q4!
jkarran - on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to RusseyB:

Done but frankly I didn't understand bits of it. What's the numerical answer bit all about? As for the final question...

jk
mockerkin on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to RusseyB:

>> So this dissertation is to demonstrate climbers as what?
The questions are mostly irrelevant and badly targeted. They don't take into account the many types of climbing or reasons as to how people discovered climbing, or how much of their time/money it takes them. I think that such a sparse survey as this shows you to have limited knowledge of such a wide subject. Forty replies? So you hope to explain all about the climbing world with forty answers from this site?
cranc on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to RusseyB: I think you are gonna fail your degree based on the quality of this survey!
Jonny2vests - on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to RusseyB:

I did it, but I also got tripped up by the positive number thing, so I assumed boolean logic.

I also tried to check out your website, but the address seems to be wrong (https - are you sure?)

butteredfrog - on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to RusseyB:

Abandoned, didn't understand the questions!
sleavesley on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to cranc: I'm hoping its a pilot study. Didn't get the numerical thing with the mountains, no explanation on why you should put numerical data, when the question asks for an answer to why. I had a climbed a few but ended up deleting what I had put to just put a numerical value on one of them on how many times I think I've climbed it!
jonny2468 on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to RusseyB: Hi RusseyB, I am currently doing my dissertation project also; piece of advice...
Use the responses from this survey as your 'pilot study', and state it as such in your methodology. Revise the questionnaire using the aforementioned feedback from the UKClimbing community and try again, ask for UKClimber admin permission to re-post your revised study, and go from there.

I have just utilized the UKClimbing community for my own data collection and got some fantastic results, couldnt be more grateful.

Hope this helps.
Jonny.
P.s: For what its worth, I completed the survey as best I could.
freerangecat - on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to jonny2468:

Can you use the same audience for the pilot study and the main survey? Seems odd (genuine question from someone who knows nothing of these things).

Cat
johncook - on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to RusseyB: I am off back to El Chorro at the end of April. At the moment they have 3cm of snow! Sergio is not a happy sun worshipper!
Will watch for the updated survey.
jonny2468 on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to freerangecat: Ideally not, however the limitations of an undergraduate study, and resources available to such an individual can be justified, if identified appropriately through the methodology and evaluation sections of the research.

RusseyB will have this issue as his questionnaire is anonymous, so he wont know if someone has already answered. It depends on the survey software and the accessibility it offers, some will only allow an ip address to answer once. In which case if RusseyB just edits his current questionnaire and re-posts, the people who have already answered will not be allowed to answer it again.

But again, if it is the case the pilot respondents enter the primary data set, this can be justified as part of RusseyB's challenges and limitations. So long as it is mentioned!

Hope this helps,
Jonny.
freerangecat - on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to jonny2468:

Interesting, thanks.

Cat
Bulls Crack - on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to RusseyB)
>
> "Please enter a positive number" WTF does that mean in relation to the question?

rank them
R2B on 01 Mar 2013
In reply to jonny2468: Thanks very much mate. Sound advice and this is what I had planned after I read all the responses. Good luck with your dissertation. Russ.
R2B on 01 Mar 2013
In reply to jonny2468: This helped me also, thanks for the post Jonny. Much appreciated.
R2B on 01 Mar 2013
In reply to jonny2vests: I will remove the website. It was an old one for a long distance run I did around Britain for raising money. Thanks for noticing, I forgot it was still up.
R2B on 01 Mar 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack: Sorry, it's annoying I know. I am sorting it out. Thanks for trying to fill it out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.