/ Black Ladders Vs Scafell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Trying to decide on the venue for this weekend, for some classic V action. I have climbed on both (Pyramid gully, Steep ghyll) but not see either as both days were claggy!

Moss ghyll (Lakeland IV = V in reality) or Western gully?

Any suggestions and conditions advice appreciated. Ladders sounded abit black and Lakes looks to have had better frosts...

Thanks

NMM
Exile - on 26 Feb 2013
In reply to Northern Mountain Monkey:

Scafell. Can't comment on conditions, (but would e interested if you head up,) but Moss Ghyll is excellent. Prob' IV 5/6.
Misha - on 27 Feb 2013
Western Gully is brilliant, especially with the right hand finish. I suspect the turf will still be frozen and the ice dribbles will still be there for the weekend. As far as I recall, it isn't really turf dependent on the main pitches but the approach pitches are. More of an issue I suspect will be the lack of snow. Depends how white you like the crag to be!
Misha - on 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Misha:
With the direct option on the second technical pitch, I should say. That and the RH finish makes for a pretty sustained route at V/VI.
Exile - on 27 Feb 2013

To be honest weatherline now has the lakes looking a bit warm for the weekend...
paddy cave - on 27 Feb 2013

Moss Ghyll is not in unfortunatly... there is other routes in though. have put some info on here -

http://mountaincircles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/scafell-ice-27-02-13.html
In reply to paddy cave:
Hi,

Thanks for the post. That save's a long drive and walk! I was hoping that shady gullies like CG would still be ok if the FL drops tommorrow...

NMM
Rstone - on 28 Feb 2013
Western has good ice low down but the chimney pitch and cave pitch are very dry, the direct (right hand finish) is well iced, currently I'd say its a fairly meaty VI 6 but well good value at that grade.
paddy cave - on 01 Mar 2013
In reply to Northern Mountain Monkey: No worries, glad I can help, its a long way round to Scafell! Great End and Helvellyn will be fine I'm sure but busy no doubt! Dollywaggon could hold in I'd guess? Chock Gully was still good yesterday once in the gully proper... anywhere the sun is getting to is stripped and stuff out of the sun is slowly stripping back but is still well frozen, even if it goes + temps as long as the humidity stays low I'd think stuff will stay good/frozen for a while.

photos from yesterday on blog -

http://mountaincircles.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/lakes-conditions-dollywaggon-and-tarn.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.