Expedition & Alpine forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Do I need to replace my plastic boots?

rowancastle - on 26 Feb 2013
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and just signed up to ask a quick question.

I am going to Pakistan this summer with a UK trekking company to do the Askole - Concordia - K2 base camp - Gondoro La - Hushe route. This route (as I understand it) is a long high altitude glacier / snow trek, with some climbing (50 degree slope) towards the end to cross the Gondoro Pass.

My question is, I have a pair of Scarpa Vega HA plastic mountaineering boots. I last used these back in 2003 when I did the Mera Peak trek / climb in Nepal. Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to use the boots since then. I noticed that the SCARPA paperwork that came with these boots says 'for your safety we recommend that you replace plastic shell boots (whatever the brand) at least every 3 years if they are used full time, or every 5 years if used for holiday and occasional use'. Well, as I say these boots have only been used once and have been stored carefully (out of the light - I understand that UV degradation is the main issue with these kind of boots) ever since. Do I really need to replace them? They appear to be in mint condition and I propose do a test walk in them before I go to make sure all is OK.

Thanks for any advice.
... not showing 12 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums