/ Walking in the Cheviots in April - Weather?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Reaper1512 - on 27 Feb 2013
I'm an new and very amateur hill walker. I was just wondering the likely weather conditions would be on The Cheviot would be in April. I know it varies and could be awful or great, but on average, what is the usual minimum temp for daytime walking and/or will there be a lot of lying snow on the tops? Thanks.
Mark Bull - on 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Reaper1512:

The average daytime temperature on the summit is April probably around +5C. However, you could easily get anything from freezing to +10C, and exceptionally -5C or +15C. As for lying snow, chances are there will be only some old patches, but it could be anything from nothing to full cover.

Hill fog and high winds are the other main hazards you will need to consider. The MWIS page covering the Southern Uplands is a good place to look for a forecast up to 3 days ahead: http://www.mwis.org.uk/su.php
ti_pin_man - on 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Reaper1512: I'd say worry less about tempuratures and go prepared for wet and windy, the cheviots are pretty open hills, exposed, they are beautiful but theres little shelter.
lpretro1 on 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Reaper1512: Good navigation skills essential for Cheviot - often featureless!
Reaper1512 - on 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Mark Bull: thanks very much guys. Much appreciated. Will definitely be careful and choose my day carefully. If conditions don't look good can easily come down after ascending Scald Hill. I have read about the boggy conditions on the top if Cheviot, I am guessing the path is safe enough with millstones I'm place?
Billy the fish - on 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Reaper1512: Not all the paths are paved. The Pennine Way has paveded sections but a lot of other areas are tracks through peat. Pick a icy day and you can walk over the frozen ground. Days like that can offer teh best visibilty too.

Don't rely on the paths. If your navigation isn't up to it, you need to get some practice in first. The Cheviots are rounded but not very difficult to navigate, you'll soon pick it up if you haven't already.
paulmitch - on 27 Feb 2013
In reply to Reaper1512: if you're not confident, or need any help, check out: http://www.northeastguides.com/guided_walks.html
annie2010 - on 23 Mar 2013
Hi :-)
I will be running the Cheviots :) the second week of April ....
ads.ukclimbing.com
redsonja - on 23 Mar 2013
In reply to ti_pin_man: I would agree with this. if you prepare for wet, winday and overcast, anything else is a bonus. the cheviots are beautiful with a tremendous sense of remoteness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.