/ Clogwyn Du conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
maybe_si - on 27 Feb 2013
I was up there last week and the ice/mixed route on the right (grade 4/5 thing?) was in nick, any idea if it is still there or has everything melted? Was toying with the idea of heading up in the morning?

Cheers

Si
tobykeep - on 27 Feb 2013
In reply to maybe_si:

I'd be very surprised if it wasn;t there, it's baltic still and there have been some ace photos of things in good nick on facebook all week. Although I was up the Pass just now and there was a pretty big sounding ice fall from somewhere around craig y rhaeadr.
mux - on 27 Feb 2013
In reply to maybe_si: have you checked the welsh winter climbs wiki ..?

might be some info from today there.

stuff done up there at the weekend, its warmed a tad but could be worth a punt. No mixed though I wouldnt have thought.
jezb1 - on 27 Feb 2013
In reply to maybe_si: Was up there yesterday just mincing up Tower Gully and it still looked there was plenty of ice on the route you're on about. It's been pretty cold again today.
In reply to mux: yeah there was no chance of any mixed last week for sure, it's the grade 5 ice route I am looking at, left branch or something? If it has been cold all week still then fingers crossed!
manxclare - on 27 Feb 2013
In reply to maybe_si:

Climbed left branch of Y on Sunday and it was mint! The ice was thick, almost too hard. The right hand branch was fabulous too which doesnt happen very often i believe...

Not sure on how cold it was there today ... its was nine degrees here on Wirral this afternoon, so there may of been some melt in NWales , but i dont know about that ... the fact that there was so much ice may mean its still good at the weekend, but definately tomo i reckon.
mynyddresident - on 27 Feb 2013
It's currently 1 degree celsius at 240m (where i live).......it'll be cold enough , get up there.
In reply to mynyddresident:

cheers gang!
Mr-Cowdrey on 27 Feb 2013
In reply to maybe_si: we did Clogwyn lefthand on saturday in perfect conditions. Ice was solid and the neve good. Frozen turf too. Pictures on my blog (link on my profile page)
joe.91 - on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to maybe_si: anybody been up today to have a look at conditions? Would like to know for the weekend.
maybe_si - on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to joe.91:

I have decided to head up in the morning and have a solo around, if I forget to post on here then chuck me a facebook message

Si
joe.91 - on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to maybe_si: Ah thanks Simon!
ads.ukclimbing.com
Adam Long - on 01 Mar 2013
In reply to joe.91:

We did Clogwyn Left yesterday, approached via Idwal stream. The stream was flowing strongly but had sufficient ice at the first steepening and above. Clogwyn left was in great nick, I noticed one tiny drip line at the top of the main pitch but otherwise frozen hard. Very little snow about apart from patches of hard neve high up - the biggest area being the Clogwyn du descent and approach. All the rock is completely bare.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.