/ Salomon Cosmic fails

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
neil9216 - on 28 Feb 2013
Hi

I have a pair of Salomon Cosmics.

I have had these boots for almost a year and half.
I trekked to everest base camp in December 2012 and they began to fall apart at the crease where the toes bend, and also the goretex lining inside started to bunch up into the toe area when I was walking making it extremely painfull.

By the end of the trek both boots had holes in the side and I was unable to walk in them due to the lumps forming inside.

I just wondered if anyone else has these boots and suffered similar problems?

Cheers
Neil
Damo on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to neil9216:

The hole at the crease is a well-known problem with these from what I know. I have one similar hole and it lets in water too. I've likewise used mine around 12-18months for mountain trekking + travel.

I've not had the bunching problem, but unless it was you posted about this before, there was a post on here about it a few months ago.

Even before I bought mine I'd read about the crease-hole, but although it's a flaw that should be fixed by Salomon, I saw durability as a trade-off with comfort and lightness. They're great straight out of the box, no break-in needed, and have otherwise been good boots, including genuinely waterproof until the crease hole, and are still very comfortable.
Neil Pratt - on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to neil9216:

Take it up with Salomon - the boots have a 2 year warranty. They were very proactive about my pair that failed - swapped them out no problem.
angry pirate - on 28 Feb 2013
+1 on that advice.
Take them back to the shop you bought them from who will send them to Salomon for you. You are covered by the sale of goods act here: if the boots are not excessively worn then you are entitled to a repair or replacements.
It amazes me the number of people who when faced with faulty gear resort to posting on a forum rather than simply taking them back (assuming you haven't tried this).
Manufacturers would much rather solve your problems and keep a happy customer than get randomly slagged off on the internet!
Damo on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to angry pirate:
>
> It amazes me the number of people who when faced with faulty gear resort to posting on a forum rather than simply taking them back (assuming you haven't tried this).
> Manufacturers would much rather solve your problems and keep a happy customer than get randomly slagged off on the internet!

No, actually some manufacturers don't care and are certainly not keen to solve customer problems, at least not until a sufficient number of disgruntled customers slag them off on the internet, as is happening with Kathmandu in NZ right now. I can't speak for Salomon. And yes, by all means contact the retailer and/or company before complaining on a 3rd party web forum.

In my case I bought my boots online, from the UK, because here in Australia they were more than double the UK price at the time. So returning them to the retailer would be a major PITA and I've got 18 months of good wear out of them, will probably get another 12 months, and rarely walk through water, so that PITA is not worth it.
gethin_allen on 28 Feb 2013
At 18 months old you are not covered by the sales of goods act as that states that a product should be fit for purpose for a period of 12 months. What you may be covered by is the goretex or Salomon guarantee. The original retailer doesn't have to give you an immediate replacement but should send the boots back to the supplier or service company who can then decide. If you are returning boots make sure they are clean and dry or the shop may refuse to handle them. This may also convince the assessors that you look after your gear. Be warned that they could just turn around and say that at 18 months old it's fair wear and tear.
Dan_S - on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to gethin_allen:
> (In reply to angry pirate)
> At 18 months old you are not covered by the sales of goods act as that states that a product should be fit for purpose for a period of 12 months.

That's not strictly true.

In this case, the bit of the SOGA that is relevant is the bit that says goods should be of "satisfactory quality" which means they should last a reasonable time. How long this time is, will be dependant on the item in question. For white goods etc. it's deemed to be 5 years.

I'd say it's reasonable to expect boots designed "for backpacking and trekking" to last 2 years with the use the OP has described.
neil9216 - on 28 Feb 2013

I asked if any one had similar problems with these boots. Not what I should do in this instance.

It azamazes me on these forums the amount of people who jump in with their tuppence worth when they don't actually have anything to add regarding the original post..

To clarify.
I bought the boots from Go Outdoors, As yet I have not contacted them as I am in Vietnam, I have e mailed Salomon customer services in the UK who have told me that the boots will only be covered by the manufactuers warranty of 2 years with a receipt or proof of purchase.
Unfortunately I do not have either as I paid cash.

This post is about trying to find others who have had similar problems so that I can prove that its not just a one off fault.

So I will now contact Go but from what I have heard from others this is unlikely to be straight forward unless I have a receipt or proof of purchase.

If any one else has any advice regarding consumer rights on this issue I would be extremely grateful for any input

Thank you

Nei

gethin_allen on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to neil9216:
Right then.
As you bought them from Go-outdoors, you likely have or had a membership card with the. If this is the case then one of your problems is sorted.
If you go to any of their shops, give them your details or your card number and they will be able to recover your proof of purchase from their system.

You being in Vietnam may be a bit more of an issue as I doubt you'd want to send them all the way from there and I very much doubt they will return them to you in Vietnam.
jonfun21 on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to neil9216: I had the problem with the crease....put some superglue on it when it started and has held fine since.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Neil Pratt - on 28 Feb 2013
In reply to neil9216:

Salomon guarantee their footwear for 2 years. They swapped my Cosmics at 23 months.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.