/ 3 month scotish alpine adventure

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
YoungManxClimber - on 14 Mar 2013
Basically am looking at doing 3 months next season in scotland building my alpine skills,

Being from the isle of man id be looking to live somewhere in scotland,
on the cheap, whether it would be working at a centre or B&B in the kitchen in order for accomodation, such and such,

and also as id be moving across for the season, would be looking for people to partner up with,

Has anyone done anything like this or similar?
Any input or advice would amazing,

Thanks for reading, hope to here from you soon
peas65 - on 14 Mar 2013
In reply to YoungManxClimber:

By Season do you mean winter or summer, never heard of a season in scotland before?
Dave 88 - on 14 Mar 2013
In reply to peas65:
> (In reply to YoungManxClimber)
>
> never heard of a season in scotland before?

That's cos there is only one season in Scotland; winter. It's available in either snowy or rainy but it's always winter.

Robert Durran - on 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Dave 88:
> (In reply to peas65)
>
> That's cos there is only one season in Scotland; winter. It's available in either snowy or rainy but it's always winter.

Wrong. There are four. They are called spring, summer, autumn and winter.

In reply to Robert Durran: They just don't always come sequentially
Only a hill - on 14 Mar 2013
See if the Clachaig in Glencoe has any jobs going:
www.clachaig.com

I worked there from 2008-2011. Best decision I ever made.
tspoon1981 on 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:
> (In reply to Robert Durran) They just don't always come sequentially

Or annually, but they do sometimes all appear on the same day.
cyberpunk - on 14 Mar 2013
In reply to YoungManxClimber: I have done 3 winter season in Scotland. Jan too 1st April. The best place to stay in the Alex Mac hut. Its cheap you will meet people to climb with and its equal distance to Glencoe and the Ben. Try getting a job in the Clachaig in Glencoe to bust income. Also when the hut is short of a warden you can do it and get free accommodation as payment.
abseil on 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Only a hill:
>...the Clachaig in Glencoe...I worked there from 2008-2011. Best decision I ever made.

I bet it was. I've spent years in the mountains and never regretted it or not having money. I have regretted making money and not being in the mountains.

Pero - on 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Dave 88:
>
> That's cos there is only one season in Scotland; winter. It's available in either snowy or rainy but it's always winter.

Total bollocks!

almost sane - on 14 Mar 2013

Just a word of caution: there are alpine skills you can never develop in Scotland. Like anything to do with glaciers. Or how to be comfortable and get well fed in a hut where nobody speaks any English.
Howard J - on 14 Mar 2013
In reply to almost sane:
> (In reply to YoungManxClimber)
>
> Or how to be comfortable and get well fed in a hut where nobody speaks any English.

Sounds like another vote for the Clachaig :)

Doghouse - on 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Howard J:
> (In reply to almost sane)
> [...]
>
> Sounds like another vote for the Clachaig :)

Steady! there's a couple of people on here with a sense of humour failure :-)
Dave 88 - on 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Pero & Robert Durran:

And due to the lack of seasons it can cause serious failures in sense of humour.
Try looking for jobs in Inverness. Lots of hotels and by far the best transport hub in the Highlands.
Pero - on 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Dave 88: When God was creating the Earth, one of the angels asked him if he wasn't being too generous to the Scots. Look at all those beautiful mountains, rivers and glens, pointed out the angel.

Don't worry, replied God, wait until you see the neighbours!
alasdair19 on 16 Mar 2013
In reply to YoungManxClimber: I'm assuming you have a car and a fair sized was chest? INverness is a very good base, if your climbing hard for you and learning a lot 3 days out a weeks is a lot, so I would recomend a job of some sort. YOu can achieve a great deal with a 5 day a week job and getting out with a good climbing club or several every weekend. This could be particularly effective if you extend your season by adding december and april.

partners are/is tricky they really matter to success and very much to learning.

Would i be accurate in guessing gap year?

anyways email me if you like I'l be hopefully around for the full season so maybe see you on the hill.
Dave 88 - on 18 Mar 2013
In reply to Pero:

Haha I like it!
YoungManxClimber - on 18 Mar 2013
In reply to almost sane:
Thanks for the caution btu this trip would be to gain the skills needed and get a season under my belt before heading to the alps and other places,
ads.ukclimbing.com
YoungManxClimber - on 18 Mar 2013
In reply to alasdair19:
Thanks you for thr advice was much appreiciated, and yes i would have a car come this trip, and its not a gap yeat its more a getting my foot in the alpine world, as being on the island the most snow and ice we get a year is a couple of inches,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.