/ Yorkshire 3 Peaks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
AdCo82 on 14 Mar 2013
Is the OL2 map the best for completing this walk?

If so does anyone have that or the best map area available for sale which is in good condition. I'd prefer non laminated version.

If nobody has one for sale, what suites do OS maps for cheap?

AT
spenser - on 14 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
www.dash4it.co.uk will probably be your best bet, if you use the discount code feb13 at checkout you will get an extra 5% off. I can't help with the rest of your question, sorry.
Dauphin - on 14 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

only 'tricky' bit is between penygent and whernside, the rest is straight forward path walking. You could do it with a few jotted down notes or print of the relevant bits from OS get a map. If you have an android phone then maverick is excellent.

D
L.A. on 14 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: You dont really need a map-Just follow the discarded bottles of Lucozade and Red Bull :(
AdCo82 on 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Dauphin:

excellent, thank you for the android idea etc.

Am I right in thinking the correct map is OL2?

My mate likes to have a full OS Map.

stewieatb on 14 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

Yes, the whole route is on the West sheet of OL2.

HTH
AdCo82 on 14 Mar 2013
In reply to stewieatb:

thanking you!
Simon Caldwell - on 15 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

The BMC/Harvey Dales map is best IMO.

A new section has been opened between Pen-y-ghent and Ribblehead, which probably isn't marked on either map yet. The new section actually existed already, but has now been "improved" (ie spoiled) by the manufacture of a new motorway.
AdCo82 on 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Toreador:

tell me more about this knew section.

is there plenty of parking in Horton?
andy - on 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to An Triubhas)
>
The new section actually existed already, but has now been "improved" (ie spoiled) by the manufacture of a new motorway.

Is it where the race goes? If they've put flags down then I can't see you'd need a map for any of it now - that bit over Black Moss(?) was the only bit even slightly unclear.
TheDrunkenBakers - on 17 Mar 2013
In reply to L.A.:
> (In reply to An Triubhas) You dont really need a map-Just follow the discarded bottles of Lucozade and Red Bull :(

Dont forget crisp bags, banana peels and sandwich packaging.

Its a veritable Blue Peter treasure trove.

AdCo82 on 17 Mar 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

surely it's not marked out all year?

and I won't be leaving any litter!
TheDrunkenBakers - on 17 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: Nah, I'm just messing. Its only a shit tip at certain times of the year.

ts a good walk though. I would recommend doing it after a good freeze as the bit between PYG and WS can be a bit mushy.
a lakeland climber on 17 Mar 2013
In reply to andy:

Thought the race route and the "official" route differed between Pen y Gent and the Calf Holes area with the walkers route going over Black Moss and the race route going to the south of Hull Pot.

ALC
andy - on 17 Mar 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber:
> (In reply to andy)
>
> Thought the race route and the "official" route differed between Pen y Gent and the Calf Holes area with the walkers route going over Black Moss and the race route going to the south of Hull Pot.
>

I know they're different - I've only done the race once and my feet got blistered so badly coming off PyG I wasn't paying much attention - it all seemed to be on good tracks.

DancingOnRock - on 17 Mar 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: I read that there's a farmer who lets the race cross his land on race day only.
andy - on 17 Mar 2013
In reply to DancingOnRock:
> (In reply to a lakeland climber) I read that there's a farmer who lets the race cross his land on race day only.

I've never been sure if that isn't just the ascent of Whernside (which is certainly out of bounds apart from race day).
Simon Caldwell - on 18 Mar 2013
In reply to andy:
The formerly-out-of-bounds section on Whernside is on open access land.
EeeByGum - on 18 Mar 2013
In reply to Dauphin:
> If you have an android phone then maverick is excellent.

Just downloaded - wow!

To OP - 3 Peaks is a doddle apart from Whernside to Pen-y-dent so as long as you have a map for that all shall be well.
threepeaks - on 18 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: To the OP, the whole walk is mapped on the BMC Yorkshire Dales map. If you have some car support that's great otherwise you can leave water/extra food at Ribblehead and the Hill Inn. We've written a great article with all you need to know here: http://goo.gl/scTe1
I've guided plenty of groups around the walk, you'll love it.
ads.ukclimbing.com
andy - on 18 Mar 2013
In reply to wildspaces: You'll not be popular with that map link on your blog - the farmer on Whernside gets grumpy if you go straight up doesn't he? The race website suggests you go up Whernside via Blea Moor rather than straight up.
threepeaks - on 19 Mar 2013
In reply to andy: Good point, I'll change the blog and remove it as you are correct you should ascend Whernside via Blea Moor. This is way I take groups, thanks for that. Dave
andy - on 19 Mar 2013
In reply to wildspaces: There's a "training route" map on the race website I think.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.