Winter Climbing forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - North Wales: Winter approach times?

Lukeva - on 18 Mar 2013
This weekend we climbed Tower Slabs (Cwm Cneifion) base of the climb is a similar approach to Clogwyn Du, the guidebook said 55mins to Clogwyn Du. The snowline was high, perhaps 700m , and the going underfoot easy enough. We walked to base of Idwal Slabs and scrambled on the LH side to base of Cneifion ArÍte, then walked up the next Cwm. It took us perhaps 90mins to base of climb. That was Saturday.

Yesterday we walked into Trinity face (again a 55min approach according to guidebook) we approached on the Minersí Track and bailed just beyond the convergence with the Pyg Track. It took us at least 90mins to that point, with 300mm of power for last 2-300m of ascent. Now, we are fit enough to do these walks at a steady (conditions dependant) pace without rests. My mate has been winter climbing 7 or 8 weekends on the bounce and weíve had a week in Scotland. Iíve been out on the hill a fair bit, run at home etcÖ

Am I just soft or are these approach times a bit optimistic for these 2 crags, (guidebook is the Rockfax N Wales Classics). Surely with powder snow underfoot and heavy packs one would have to be very fit to walk in at that speed. Incidentally we didnít expect to reach our chosen routes in 55mins, just interested to know others experiences for these winter approaches. Must train harder next winter!
... not showing 12 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums