/ Blencathra (saddleback) conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
aaren - on 18 Mar 2013
I'll be working on Blencathra on Thursday and am trying to guess the conditions on the top to work out gear to carry up.

Any ideas? Neve / powder / slush / grass??
Jack B on 18 Mar 2013
In reply to aaren:

We were up there on Sunday, up halls and down scales. Crampons were definitely unnecessary, and ice axes probably not necessary either, though that might change with a little freeze-thaw. Slush at intermediate altitudes and powder higher up just starting to consolidate. There was a good covering though, so full whiteout on the plateaux when the cloud was down.
Ridge - on 18 Mar 2013
In reply to aaren:

Just been out on the MTB, freezing already, looks to be a fair covering of powder snow on Skiddaw and Grisedale Pike, would imagine Blencathra is similar but couldn't see it from where I was. It's a lot colder than this time Sunday evening.
Ridge - on 20 Mar 2013
In reply to aaren:
Looks to be a fair drop of snow over Caldbeck, should be similar on Blencathra.
Carolyn - on 20 Mar 2013
In reply to aaren:

Driving past on A66 for the last couple of days - there's (thinnish) snow down to pretty low, and it was only a couple of degrees at road level. So I'd imagine there's a moderate amount of snow on top, and it's not going anywhere at the moment.

I think most had melted off before the last fresh snow this week, so probably not a whole lot under it unless in gully that didn't melt. But I can't swear to that, as I wasn't actually here last week.....
Simon Caldwell - on 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Carolyn:
> I think most had melted off before the last fresh snow this week,

When we drove past last Saturday there was no sign of any snow on Blencathra, apart from the very tops of the gullies. Foule Crag looked black.

Very different on Sunday as we drove back (though still not as much as in the central Lakes).
ads.ukclimbing.com
Carolyn - on 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Toreador:

And there's been fresh snow a couple of nights since then.....

(But yes, not as white as some of more central fells).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.