/ Ramshead, Cobbler

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Milesy - on 24 Mar 2013
Went to climb Maclays Crack yesterday but the wind was horrible so went for a nosy about some of the other climbs and had a look at Ramshead Gully.

Can anyone give me some info on this? It looks quite short and maybe a good candidate for trying something with a harder tech grade.
In reply to Milesy: I've done it and it was ace. Very icy when we did it and I remember a really cool sentry box/cave to belay in. It's a long time ago now and I don't remember too much beyond watching the blade of Piranha bend loads when I torqued really hard in thin crack doing the crux! IIRC it was a short hard bid but that section was well protected but rather burly for the grade.
Jamie B - on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Milesy:

Did it yesterday, wouldn't recommend it for your first grade IV. Good gear but quite sustained and probably high in the grade. My partner thought it was harder than Scabbard Chimney the day before. Maybe do a III,4 first then some easier IV,4s?
In reply to Jamie B: As ever it could be rather conditions dependent as when I did it I don't remember it being very sustained at all - but perhaps we had a grade III neve romp up where you guys were tricky mixed climbing? I did Scabbard around the same time and it was definitely a step up.

Milesy, I still reckon someone else should do Nimlin's. No one has logged it in the UKC logbooks beside me and that was almost 20 years ago! That's IV,5.
Jamie B - on 27 Mar 2013

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.