/ How often are there exceptionally clear days on Snowdon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Matt_79 - on 26 Mar 2013
I have only climbed Snowdon once so far (August 2009) and when I got near the top black clouds came over, although when I was lower down it was fairly clear, although not excellent visibility.

I know that on exceptionally clear, cold days southern Scotland can be seen from Snowdon but how often do these days of exceptional visibility occur? I wasn't sure if they could occur a few times in a year, or less frequently. I have seen photos of the Wicklow Mountains and the Lake District from Snowdon, but never any showing the Scottish Southern Uplands.
IainRUK - on 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Matt_79: Quite a bit.. often not in the summer.. too hazy... april or October tend to offer the best days. We always had these great weather periods with awesome sunsets around the end of sept/start of october before the autumnual storms set in towards the end of October..

I read somewhere 16 days a year Snowdon summit is cloud free.. I think its many more times than that..
highclimber - on 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Matt_79: As Ian said but I have noticed that Snowdon can be in the clouds all day some times and then in the late afternoon/early evening, it will clear, just as everyone has sat down with their hot drinks in Petes!
IainRUK - on 26 Mar 2013
In reply to highclimber: Very true.. I think its similar on the west of scotland.. an old climber once told me to sod early starts on the west as the afternoon brought good weather...

toad - on 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Matt_79: Blustery days can yield exceptional views, and then the next moment you're completely clagged in. On a mountain like Snowdon, I think those are my favourites. Sudden glimpses of forever out of the murk
Matt_79 - on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Matt_79:

It is interesting to hear that the best days for clear views are in April or October. What are the odds of an exceptionally clear, freezing cold day in December-February?
sleavesley on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Matt_79: have a look at this http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=105576
That was taken in 2008 near the end of December. Think it was 28th.
I have other photos from then and it was beautiful and clear. An hour later the cloud rolled in and I was above it stood on top of Snowdon.
Kevin Woods - on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to sleavesley: This was a couple days later! http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=212489

Really amazing conditions at Hogmanay 2008. I've been able to guess when others people's photos were taken without looking at the date because the light and conditions were so unique.

I've also often wondered about the afternoon bringing better weather in Scotland. Seems to happen all the time since I began noticing but it could be nothing.
sleavesley on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Kevin Woods: I did the Welsh 15 peaks over New year starting on the 30th in the afternoon. Whilst cold it was Clear sky's over this period. I have some great photos from this.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Matt_79 - on 06 Apr 2013
In reply to sleavesley:

Thanks for the photo, which looks amazing. It makes me wonder how far could be seen on that day - the conditions could have made the Scottish Southern Uplands visible.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.