/ ben nevis 'new' path

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Daniel Caola - on 27 Mar 2013
This might sound numpty but I haven't been to the Ben for a few years and I gather there is a newfangled path through the woods bypassing the boggy bits. I have scoured the web and though there are numerous articles on it not one of them seems to contain a map or diagram so I am really none the wiser. Can anyone point me towards one? From what I can gather it tunnels through carn mor dearg and pops out by the cic hut, is this correct?
AdCo82 on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to spiggot:

tunnels? are you serious?
In reply to An Triubhas: No. But the rest of it was.
Ferret on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to spiggot: Park at North Face car-park at Torlundy (over bridge with traffic lights and turn right). Its signed from the car-park and takes a nicer route up through the woods to bring you out at the 'top car park' by the dam. Then its a pathcraft all the way these days....
george mc - on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to spiggot:

One of these new fangled map type thingys will show you...
Mark Bull - on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to george mc:

... if you have a new enough version
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=214572&Y=775645&A=Y&Z=120
Nick Russell on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to spiggot:

bing maps has OS maps, check that
shamba - on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: I think it's pettifogging
In reply to Ferret:Aaaah. Mistake I made was thinking that the top car park was the north face one. Hence confusion. Thanks.

In the past I have tried the golf course route, ugh, in the rain double ugh, and settled on the distillery instead- does anyone know is that still usable/accessible? (bit steep first thing in the morning if I recall). I don't use a car anyway you see.
Chris Sansum - on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Daniel Caola:

I went that way (through the distillery) about a year ago and found I had to climb over a fence and cross a railway. Not sure if I exited the distillery in the right place. It was definitely the correct place on the map I was using, so it seems like either the distillery has blocked up the start of the old route, or the map marked the path starting in the wrong place. Or maybe it was always like that. The rest of the route seemed well trodden.
subalpine - on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Daniel Caola: now that's an idea- underground train to CIC hut and then up to the 'Jungfraujoch' of the Highlands at the Coire Leis col!
In reply to Chris Sansum: I remember crossing a railway, also walking along the top of a concrete dam in some woods? (low down, not the higher one- also adding to my confusion here!) There was a huge tangle of paths and I seem to remember 'second right then third left', or something! Then you cross the other dam higher up next to the car park.
In reply to subalpine: Yes and the CIC hut definitely needs a balcony area for drinks and snacks, I can see the chairs and tables cartwheeling nicely down the alt a mhullin in a blizzard adding to the objective dangers, you would need to wear your helmet on the approach too!
wee jamie on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Daniel Caola: There is access to the Ben through the Distillery, though it is not obvious. Go into the car park of the Distillery and head left past a big open shed on the left and one of the main buildings on your right, through a gap between the two and then around to the right on the outside of the complex following a muddy path (always plenty of bike tyre tracks - I cycle this way quite often). Follow the path past the distillery buildings, under the railway, through a stream and up to a sluice. Cross over it to the right side (bit of a leap with a bike) and continue on a (sometimes very) muddy track. That'll bring you out onto a good gravel road. Turn left and follow the zig zags up steeply, eventually reaching the top car park.
Personally, I'd walk the extra distance to Torlundy and follow the new path - it's much nicer. If you've got a bike, cycle/push it up the new path from Torlundy, and cycle down the Distillery route outlined above - it's a good downhill, though pretty rough in places. That's what I do if I'm car-less. There's no better end to a day of climbing!
wee jamie on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to wee jamie: I will also add that if you fancy a laugh, try asking the staff in the Distillery where the Ben path is. If you get the right chap, you'll be astounded at his response.
In reply to wee jamie: Ok I may try both of those suggestions!
Chris Sansum - on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to wee jamie:

Yes, probably that same chap came out and told me the path no longer went through the distillery and had been moved a long way up the road. I smelt a rat and continued on my way once he'd wandered back inside his building (cave). Guess the mistake I made was not going between the 2 buildings and then following a path outside the distillery to the right.

He also claimed the path had been closed because it had been designated an SSI area, to prevent people trampling rare flowers on the route. On top of that it was apparently impassable because it was so boggy. It wasn't at all boggy when I went along it - and it had been raining for days! Figured it must be how he entertains himself each day.
wee jamie on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Chris Sansum: Precisely! However, if his fumings become too toxic, you can get on his good side by mentioning Andrew Lloyd Webber or the filming of Alien.
nufkin - on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to wee jamie:

How does the distillery route compare to going past the smelter (or whatever it is), all the way along the track that the path from the distillery presumably joins at some point?
wee jamie on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to nufkin: I haven't been along that track to the smelter, so don't know (I live in Corpach, so the distillery track is more logical for me)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.