/ Bothy Lochnagar area?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
girlymonkey - on 27 Mar 2013
Does anyone know of bothies in the general vacinity of Lochnagar? We are planning to dig a snow hole out that way tomorrow night, but if we find that the snow is too soft and powdery everywhere then we'd like a bothy option. I'm fairly sure we will find some suitable snow somewhere, but just incase! I see on the map there is a building a couple of km SE of Broad cairn, is this a bothy? I know about the one in Glen Callater, was hoping to stay higher than that though.
Robert Durran - on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to girlymonkey:
> Does anyone know of bothies in the general vacinity of Lochnagar? I see on the map there is a building a couple of km SE of Broad cairn, is this a bothy?

If I remember rightly, it is more like an open bus shelter!

Kevin Woods - on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to girlymonkey: This was the Broad Cairn shelter 7 weeks ago http://www.kevinwoods.co.uk/images/BCshelter.jpg

Snowholing one of those drifts might be more appropriate.
OMR - on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to girlymonkey: There's the Glas Allt Sheil near the head of Loch Muick, or on the north of Lochnagar choire there's the Gelder Sheil, both marked on the map.
ScraggyGoat on 27 Mar 2013
See also mba's website for Shelin of mark, if your not intending on going up lochnagar itself.
Slugain Howff - on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to girlymonkey:

What OMR and ScraggyGoat said plus there is a covered area at Allt-na-Guibhsaich which offers a open but dry sleeping area not far from the car park at Glen Muick.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Slugain Howff - on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Slugain Howff:

And given the snow cover at the moment you'll be able to snowhole within 1 km of all the bothy options mentioned already.

S

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.