/ Ben Lui - Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Rob Halliday - on 27 Mar 2013
Hi everyone!

Thinking about walking the central gully of ben lui this weekend. Any idea how much snow there is up there at the moment? Is it safe.....!?

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Many thanks,

Rob
Michael Gordon - on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Rob Halliday:

I would guess it will have been scoured down to the old neve and potentially in great condition but haven't seen it myself.
k.shark - on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Rob Halliday: I did Eas Anie yesterday walked in in trainers Central gully looked good , could see avalanche debris at foot of it so should be sound now .
Simon Caldwell - on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to k.shark:
> could see avalanche debris at foot of it so should be sound now

hmmm.
sleeplessjb - on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to k.shark: how was eas anie???
whispering nic - on 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Rob Halliday: Not sure if you are trolling but 'walking' central would be perhaps the wrong approach... Ice axe handy and given the possibility of hard snow pack maybe even pitching - it's sustained grade 1 in a situation you really wouldn't want to take a slip on...
Daniel Caola - on 28 Mar 2013
In reply to sleeplessjb: and do you have any photos of it? :)
drunken monkey - on 28 Mar 2013
In reply to k.shark: Thanks for that comprehensive avalanche assessment
k.shark - on 28 Mar 2013
In reply to Daniel Caola: Route was in good nick some nice ice formations posted a couple of pictures should be in gallery soon , Ben lui looked like it was corniche collapse hard to tell from that distance .
Simon Caldwell - on 28 Mar 2013
In reply to k.shark:
> Ben lui looked like it was corniche collapse hard to tell from that distance .

So could in fact be partial cornice collapse - in which case fresh avalanche debris wouldn't indicate it's now safe, it would indicate it's more dangerous.
ccmm on 28 Mar 2013 - 194.82.141.222 whois?
In reply all who've been in: What's the state of the track up to Cononish from Dalrigh? Is it snow-free for mountain bikes?
k.shark - on 28 Mar 2013
In reply to Toreador: It was only an opinion the most of the face is blasted clear apart gully line, usually after avalanche snow sets solid . If folk can't decide for themselves if it's safe they shouldn't be there ,i didn't say it was fresh debris there was no obvious cornice or i would have mentioned it .
drunken monkey - on 28 Mar 2013
In reply to k.shark: You implied that because there was avalanche debris at the bottom that "it would be sound"

Your now saying that it might have been old debris

make your mind up
k.shark - on 28 Mar 2013
In reply to drunken monkey: I have only been climbing for 30 odd years here and all over europe so think i might have rough idea about conditions and i didn't say might have been old debris . ( oops 20 years teaching in outdoors has learned me nothing ). The guy who posted gave a vague request so got a vague answer walk up central gully. To many people jump on posts cause they are bored instead of out climbing . I have only missed 2 days out of last fortnight in mountains and thats only because my climing partner had to return to work .
Somerset swede basher - on 04 Apr 2013
In reply to Rob Halliday:

Anyone been to Ben Lui in the last day or two? Thinking of heading up tomorrow. Conditions info much appreciated.
In reply to Somerset swede basher: The east side looked good and plastered from Eas Anie on Friday and hearsay suggests it was solid neve all the way. Not much will have changed since then, so definitely worth a look if you're thinking Central Gully or the ridges. I may well see you up there tomorrow in fact.
In reply to Craig Mc: Completely dry and snow free last week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.