/ '2013' Langdale Guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
BelleVedere on 02 Apr 2013
Does anyone know when publication is expected?

<looks nonchalant> Not that i'm looking forward to getting my hands on a copy or out </looks nonchalant>

Love, BelleVedere. xx
Rog Wilko on 02 Apr 2013
In reply to BelleVedere: Max told me (around the turn of the year) it was due in the shops in May.
Regards
Rog
ripper - on 02 Apr 2013
In reply to BelleVedere: ooo I didn't know there was one coming - now I'm also nonchalantly not looking forward to getting my hands on one ...
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Thanks

*Big Smile* - Hopefully just in time for my next trip home!
JanBella - on 02 Apr 2013
In reply to BelleVedere: FRCC site on facebook says "by mid June"....
In reply to JanBella:

they can post it on FB - but not their website - modern times eh!
JanBella - on 02 Apr 2013
In reply to BelleVedere: i wish they posted it to shops finally ....
Ron Kenyon - on 08 Apr 2013
In reply to BelleVedere:

Likely date now early July - final proof stage now.
Chris the Tall - on 08 Apr 2013
In reply to Ron Kenyon:
> (In reply to BelleVedere)
>
> Likely date now early July - final proof stage now.

Just in time for the monsoon season

Ricardo - on 08 Apr 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall: hope they,re going to tone down on some of the stars in the last guide. Still might have to upgrade my 1988 version!
Ron Kenyon - on 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Ricardo:

It will be worth buying !!!! - I am just checking through the proof at the moment !
Rog Wilko on 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Ricardo:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall) hope they,re going to tone down on some of the stars in the last guide.

Have to disagree with you there. I think there should be even more. People quite rightly expect guidebooks to give some idea of route quality. The more stars the better as more routes will get done. It's just a question of altering the definitions of star-gradings eg:
no stars - worth recording, but only worth doing if you've done everything else on the crag.
one star - a route that is worth doing though not exceptional in any way.
two stars etc etc.....

You only have to look at the crowds on some routes while other perfectly good lines are neglected to see the sense of this. I have a photo taken from the first stance on the otherwise empty Hiatus showing three teams queuing on the first stance of the only marginally better (or in my view equally good) Gimmer Crack. I rest my case.
GrahamD - on 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I don't think the stars will make any difference to the popularity of gimmer crack. Some routes will get queues whatever you award to other routes. For what its worth, I don't think either the stars with everything (Langdale) or the no stars (old Tremadog)improve on the conventional interpretation of stars. What I would say is the black spot is a very unused symbol for route quality.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.