/ Rockfall at Symonds Yat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
FrJ on 06 Apr 2013
A large block come off the top of Crack and Slab at Symonds Yat today. My partner came away with it. His gear held and he suffered some cuts and some rather nasty bruises.

I wonder if the cold weather and freeze-thaw has losened up some of the rock. Just a word to encourage caution.
remus - on 07 Apr 2013
In reply to FrJ: In other news, a bear shits in the woods.

Seriously though, glad your friend is okay. The limestone can be a treacherous mistress.
monsteratt - on 07 Apr 2013
In reply to remus:

Who's mistress are you calling treachorous?!
puppythedog on 07 Apr 2013
In reply to FrJ: I pulled a mini-fridge sized piece off of a climb at Fly wall at Wyntour's leap today. Scared the poo out of me and landed where I had been belaying from (I was seconding). Scary out there, at that moment I considered giving up climbing :-)
bpmclimb - on 08 Apr 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

Which route was that?
mattrm - on 08 Apr 2013
In reply to FrJ:

This is a common occurrence each Spring at any limestone crag. The freeze thaw will have loosened any iffy rock at places like Symonds Yat. Generally I'd always take care when climbing on Limestone for loose rock, but at this time of year after a hard winter, even more so.
puppythedog on 08 Apr 2013
In reply to bpmclimb: Big Fly Direct. I don't think it will change the character of the route and from the ground the scar didn't look as big as the amount of shattered rock on the ground and my fear would have suggested.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.