/ Car break-ins in the Cheddar Gorge area.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tom Hobbs - on 07 Apr 2013
Hi all

Just a heads up really. Two of our groups cars got broken into today while climbing in Cheddar Gorge with various items being stolen.

They also broke into a car that had nothing in it so they don't seem to picky. The police said that we were the first of the season (do we get a prize?) so this seems a fairly common occurrence in the area, especially now its getting warm enough for climbers and tourists.

I guess the best advice I can give, if you can, always climb where you are in view of your car and move it to one of the other parking spots if you need to.

Hopefully this doesn't happen to any of you guys and happy climbing.

Cheers

T
deepstar - on 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Tom Hobbs: Sorry to hear about your car break in,I live locally and would say that it is not a common occurrence(where were you parked?).The local car looters seem to go for vehicles parked in quieter spots like the laybyes on the top of the Mendips.I would strongly agree with you about parking where you can see your car though but lets hope they move on to other pastures.
mike kann - on 07 Apr 2013
In reply to deepstar: Me neither - never heard of car break ins... if you'd said at Holcombe quarry then yeah - park near the quarry in the lanes often enough and you'll definitely get broken into... surprised really...
limbo90 on 10 Apr 2013
In reply to Tom Hobbs:

I beat you to it Tom!

unclesamsauntibess - on 10 Apr 2013
In reply to Tom Hobbs: Empty all valuables from the car, leave glove box open with a spare tenner in there and leave the car unlocked. That way they will not do your locks or smash a window (so you can drive home easily)and they gain a free tenner. Stops them going of on one and smashing your windows anyway....................I even have a knackered old compact digital camera in the dash, unseen from outside but when they find it and nick that they feel happy.......
Radioactiveman - on 10 Apr 2013
In reply to Tom Hobbs:

Or leave shiny stuff on show in car,wait in hiding nearby with a hammer and 4 friends
Gwilymstarks on 10 Apr 2013
In reply to Tom Hobbs:

It has always been a problem there (or it was when I was based there 2006/2007) as there are plenty of cars to choose and from most people leave things on display.

The theives come down on a day trip from Bristol via the back roads hence the cars at the top of the gorge often get got more often.
brices - on 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Tom Hobbs:
or park down the bottom near where the cheddar gorge staff are always patrolling in day glow jackets and charging for parking? (but park on the national trust side so its free). ive never had a problem and climb there many times a month
The Pylon King on 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Radioactiveman:
> (In reply to Tom Hobbs)
>
> Or leave shiny stuff on show in car,wait in hiding nearby with a hammer and 4 friends

It would be great to set up some sort of booby trap and video it.
Trangia - on 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Tom Hobbs:
> Hi all
>
> >
> I guess the best advice I can give, if you can, always climb where you are in view of your car and move it to one of the other parking spots if you need to.
>

That could also be incredibly frustrating if you are half way up a multi pitch!:)

Sorry to hear about your robbery. These people are scum.
nniff - on 11 Apr 2013
In reply to The Pylon King:
> (In reply to Radioactiveman)
> [...]
>
> It would be great to set up some sort of booby trap and video it.

The miltary definition of a 'booby trap' is 'a savage practical joke'.

I've always liked that. I wonder if it would stand up in court - 'It was just a practical joke m'lud - Oh, how we laughed when the thieving little scrote's arm fell off!'
In reply to nniff:
> (In reply to The Pylon King)
> [...]
>
> The miltary definition of a 'booby trap' is 'a savage practical joke'.
>
> I've always liked that. I wonder if it would stand up in court - 'It was just a practical joke m'lud - Oh, how we laughed when the thieving little scrote's arm fell off!'

yeah, liking it!
nniff - on 11 Apr 2013
In reply to The Pylon King:
> (In reply to Radioactiveman)
> [...]
>
> It would be great to set up some sort of booby trap and video it.

The military definition of 'booby trap' is 'a savage practical joke'. I've always liked that.

I wonder if it would stand up in court: 'It was just a practical joke, m'lud. Oh, how we all laughed when the thieving little scrote's arm fell off!'
Trangia - on 11 Apr 2013
In reply to nniff:

I recall that during the 1960s there was a spate of car break ins at a remote car park in a wood near the Rhinogs. Eventually a group of climbers/walkers did exactly that. They left a van full of tempting gear in view in the car park and staked it out from the woods. When the scrotes arrived and started breaking into it they ambushed them and beat them up. Unsuprisingly it was never reported to the police, but the break ins ceased.
ads.ukclimbing.com
In reply to Trangia:

Good stuff, makes my heart glow.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.