/ Lakes or Wales this weekend-what's the best bet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
leeoftroy - on 10 Apr 2013
A friend and I have some time free sunday and monday and want to travel from Oxford to climb some gullies and hope to find some ice. Whats the best bet for good conditions...Lakes or N wales?
blackcat - on 10 Apr 2013
In reply to leeoftroy: Id double check the weather first.But wouldnt think that much difference,though n wales being closer.
A Crook on 10 Apr 2013
In reply to leeoftroy:

from what i can tell the ice is all falling down.

some snow gullies may be in though
LakesWinter on 10 Apr 2013
In reply to leeoftroy: Sun and Mon = heavy thaw. I'd not bother. Or try sat which may be ok or may not be.
Webster - on 10 Apr 2013
In reply to leeoftroy: I reckon you will still find deep snow in gullies in both locations, though it will be slushy and maybe unstable. wouldn't get your hpes up about finding climable ice though, big thaw on the way
jas wood - on 10 Apr 2013
In reply to leeoftroy: Given the current forecast i'd suggest that winter climbing on sunday monday may not be any good. have a back up plan and go and see !
ads.ukclimbing.com
craggyjohn - on 11 Apr 2013
In reply to leeoftroy:
Just back from N Wales - climbed in Cwm Cneifion, which is as high as you can get in N Wales.
Warm on the summit - lots of snow everywhere but very soft - made for hard going on the way in, but a glorious high speed bum slide on the way out, pretty much from the top of the cwm all the way to Llyn Idwal.
The snow pack needs 2 or 3 heavy overnight frosts to make early morning climbing enjoyable, and from the forecast I think that's unlikely

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.