/ Swapping Dynafit Brake Legs - DIY

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bluah - on 11 Apr 2013
Hi Everyone,

This is a bit of a DIY binding question. I have a set of Dynafit Radical bindings with a 100mm brake. I have a set of Vertical brakes, which are similar bar the Radical brakes include an AFD (the sliding plate to ease release).

I was initially just going to swap the full brake unit, but it looks like the legs should be extremely easy to swap. Does anyone have experience with swapping the brake legs? I've looked at this howto: http://andrewcouncellmountainguide.wordpress.com/2010/04/01/outfitting-dynafit-with-wider-brakes/ and it actually looks more complicated than my impression from looking at the brakes.

Please let me know if you've tried this and have any advice.

Thanks,
Eli
Kimberley on 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Bluah:

I have a set of Verticals which I get on fine with ut I also have a set of Radicals which have the small advantage of 'step in blind' but the significant advantage of the easy to use high steps. Early in the season one of the AFD plates slid out and disappeared, I have continued to use it all season without issue. It's a poor design that is not robust at all, I have seen several others suffer the same fate. The conclusion in my opinion therefore is don't worry about the AFD plate. I don't think you'll see it on next years model!
Kimberley on 11 Apr 2013
Bluah - on 12 Apr 2013
Thanks for the tip. I had seen that the plate-popping out issue was a manufacturing flaw with some models.

On balance, for the number of times I lose a ski in a season I don't think having/not having the AFD would make any difference (even if it has any function), so I'll definitely take your advice. Plus, at some point I'm likely to get a modern pair of touring skis >80mm underfoot, so it will be nice to be able to swap back in the 100mm brakes rather than buy another set.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.