/ Scarpa Manta maintenance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Easty14 - on 11 Apr 2013
Does anybody know what the best leather feeder to be using on my Mantas is?
Gordonbp - on 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Peter Eastland:
I use the Scarpa H12 cream - seems to be fine....
Deri Jones - on 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Peter Eastland: The nikwax stuff that comes in a squirty tube with a foam aplicator works well. It flattens and waxes the surface a bit so you lose some of the rough finish, but soaks in well and definitely keeps the water out.
http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=499
gordo - on 11 Apr 2013
+1 for hs12 water beads off nicely
inboard - on 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Deri Jones:
+1 for the Nicwax stuff - in fact that's what I've just been doing! Works a treat. Been using it on my mantas for the past 4 years, they're still in great condition. Also use it on shoes and bike saddle, all doing well.
MaxWilliam on 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Peter Eastland:

I use the Nikwax Nubuck & Suede Proof, which works well if the leather is clean.
R_Blackburn on 12 Apr 2013
In reply to MaxWilliam:
> (In reply to Peter Eastland)
>
> I use the Nikwax Nubuck & Suede Proof, which works well if the leather is clean.

I used for three years Nikwax Footwear Cleaning Gel and Nikwax Nubuck and Suede Proof. With these products I never managed to get the boot to a satisfactory level of waterproofness.

Now I have switched to using Nikwax Footwear Cleaning Gel and Grangers G-Wax. I am much more impressed with my boots' level of waterproofness.

I imagine that you can substitute Grangers G-Max Footwear Cleaner for Nikwax Footwear Cleaning Gel; they probably do exactly the same thing. Likewise I imagine that you can substitute Nikwax Waterproofing Wax for Leather for Grangers G-Wax, which is what Deri Jones uses above.

Just make sure that you use wax. I find it much more effective than the runny liquid waterproofers such as Nikwax Nubuck and Suede Proof, Nikwax Fabric and Leather Proof, Grangers Footwear Proofer, etc.
forcan - on 14 Apr 2013
Interesting question - I've had my Mantas nearly 7 years now, and never used anything on them other than a stiff brush to remove dried on mud. Never had wet feet with them either. Then again, almost exclusive winter use only with a pair of Yeti Gaiters may have something to do with that...

I used G-Wax on my Scarpa Attaks, and nothing on their replacement's, Raichle Mountain Trail GTX's apart from a stiff brush.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.