/ NW climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MC - on 11 Apr 2013
All packed for tomorrow for the NW. Heard Emerald was in but now in doubt. Anybody done anything recently in Torridons, Fannichs, Ben Dearg,Bhann,Coolin.
All and any comments appreciated.
Cheers.
In reply to MC:
Bit out of date, but just in case you were wondering about Beinn Bhan. Did Silver Tear last Tue, was in good nick but a couple of thin bits. The Cooler had some massive icefall and I should imagine Silver Tear will have since then...
MC - on 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Northern Mountain Monkey:
thanks
AdrianC - on 11 Apr 2013
In reply to MC: Walked under Emerald last Saturday - was thin-ish at the top but looked climbable. Penguin was fat.
Ron Walker - on 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Northern Mountain Monkey:
> (In reply to MC)
> Bit out of date, but just in case you were wondering about Beinn Bhan. Did Silver Tear last Tue, was in good nick but a couple of thin bits. The Cooler had some massive icefall and I should imagine Silver Tear will have since then...

Did you climb Silver Tear all the way to the top cornice or just do the first few pitches?
Pete.T - on 12 Apr 2013
In reply to MC: Climbed mad hatters today.Good nick in general on that route but evidence of fairly recent avalanch and couple of ice collapses from silver tear area.
In reply to Ron Walker:
All the way to the top cornice, although we traversed right below the top icefall, which had been in the sun too much. Will have to go back and do it as part of The Cooler.

The snow at the top was very unusual for the UK after the sun thawing it in sub zero temperatures. Reminded me of Andean penitentes.

NMM
MC - on 13 Apr 2013
In reply to MC:
Went for Emerald after all and had a super day. Main pitch(2nd) really fat but 3rd pitch just doable with a sliver of ice on the right, instead of the main line. Won't be there for much longer.
For the NW on the whole, still a whole lot of potential, I'm sure Torridon, Geala, Teallach,Fannich, Seana Bhraigh, Bhann still have a lot to offer if we can hold on to this spell of coldness. Still a very healthy winter glow on the hills. Would love to know if anybody been into Geala recently.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.