/ Free flights to California. What do I do?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jack89 - on 17 Apr 2013
I am going on a business trip to California and I can stay 4/5 days longer using annual leave. I have no idea where to start to try and make the most of this opportunity. Please advise!

I'll be 50 miles down from LA and would want to climb, but also enjoy road cycling and snowboarding (but season's out?). I'd be alone initially would hope to meet partners there.

What's my best bet for:
-climbing location & type,
-camping and/or lodging,
-logistics, and
-meeting partners.

Many many thanks in advance for any (useful) replies....

jack89 - on 17 Apr 2013
In reply to jack89:
Additional info...

Season: Now.
Ability: about V6/HVS/F6C+
Driving: Yes, if min age rental is at least 23.
Budget: Cheapish?
Gear: Enough for long UK trads.
IanC - on 17 Apr 2013
In reply to jack89:

If you need cheap under 25 car rental I can recommend these guys: http://www.supercheapcar.com/. I used them from San Francisco but that have an LA office. Don't expect a new glamorous car but there is not surcharge for 21-25 year olds and there pretty cheap too.

I did do any climbing on my trip out there so can't give any advice on that front.

Have Fun
wilkie14c - on 17 Apr 2013
In reply to jack89: Get on supertopo and introduce youself, thats what I did and have had some great offers of surfing and climbing in joshua tree. I'm over for 3 weeks july/aug
seankenny - on 17 Apr 2013
In reply to jack89:

If it's not too warm, then go to Joshua Tree. All the info you'll need is here:

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/joshua-tree-national-park/105720495

It's very easy to find partners, just rock up to the campsite and start asking. Ditto at the climbing store in town. Or set something up via Supertopo/Mountain Project. Don't expect to find a campsite on a Friday night unless you leave LA very early.

If it's too hot in Josh, maybe higher up at Tahquitz or Suicide?

wilkie14c - on 17 Apr 2013
In reply to seankenny: Hi sean, Im going to be in Escondido, you know it?
seankenny - on 17 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c:

Sorry, afraid not - I've only been to Josh and around there in SoCal. Might be a bit hot in summer! But iirc there is some very high granite bouldering somewhere along the highway from LA-San Bernadino-Palm Springs - I think you have to get a cable car up there tho. As ever, Supertopians are your chaps.
Jonny2vests - on 18 Apr 2013
In reply to jack89:

When are you going? The Stone Roses and Blur are playing just down the road from J Tree this weekend :-)

http://www.coachella.com/index.php
jack89 - on 18 Apr 2013
In reply to jack89:

Thanks for all the replies. Good to have a recommend car rental should I need it.

I've posted on Supertopo and have got lots of replies, which is great. They suggested Tahquitz too, as Joshua Tree is likely to be too hot. They also recommend Yosemite, which I think I will make a return visit for once I've a taste. I think anything is going to be amazing there...

My free time will be 1st-5th May so no gigging :(.

Thanks again :)
seankenny - on 18 Apr 2013
In reply to jack89:

Great stuff! You'll have a good trip.

Yosemite is ace but quite a ways from LA. Totally doable of course, but if you've not been to the States before the size of the place takes some getting used too. (Apologies if you've been there loads of times before.)

The other thing that takes some getting used to is the granite. It's really tough to climb, totally different from anything we have here. Expect a spanking on things given ridiculously easy grades and you'll be fine :)
jack89 - on 21 Apr 2013
In reply to seankenny:
Thanks, I hope so!

I've never been to the states so I do expect the size to be a bit intimidating. And going from what other posts and articles said as well as you, I will be sticking to the easier things and expecting a hard time! Thanks for the reply.
barney800 on 22 Apr 2013
In reply to jack89: If you're really keen on snowboarding Mammoth is in good spring condition at this time of year. I combined it with some bouldering at the Buttermilks last year and had a great time.
ddriver - on 22 Apr 2013
In reply to jack89:
Don't give up on J-Tree due to heat yet. Could be just fine.
Martin Bennett - on 23 Apr 2013
In reply to jack89:

In reply to jack89:

Based on a recent experience I'd aim for Tahquitz. It has a sunny side and a cool side, climbs of all grades, is in a beautiful setting and you get to stay in a lodge in the woods in the esoteric village of Idyllwild for not too much money. Idyllwild's unique - hard to say which adjective best describes it - charming? artificial? strange? hippy? I dunno but I like it there. it's a favourite weekend place for people (folks!) from Escondido/San Diego area and has a great cafe for that US breakfast experience.

We stayed at http://www.silverpineslodge.com/ where I rather think the proprietor Chris, if not fully booked, would negotiate a price for single occupancy if you're on you're own.

Like you we had only a coupla days there. At the time we were doing HVS Lakes and Wales routes and found that on the unfamiliar granite at Tahquitz 5.7 was comfortable. We did "Left Ski Track" and "Fingertrip" and can recommend both.

It's high so if it should turn out to be too cold Joshua Tree is quite close and might not be too hot in April/early May.

I have old but still meaningful guide books to both I could lend you if you send me the postage (unless you're in Lancs to collect 'em?).

Have a great time.
ddriver - on 25 Apr 2013
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Good stuff from Martin. Traitor Horn and Open Book are also highly recommended and get sun. Left Ski Track is simply outstanding for its grade. All involve an interesting walk off which you should well understand before doing due to the exposure involved.
ads.ukclimbing.com
jack89 - on 26 Apr 2013
In reply to ddriver:

Thanks guys, good to know. Plan has changed a bit as my initial partner sadly had to bail for reasons out of his control. Plan now is to head to JT:HVCG and go from there. A local veteran has given me his number - so if that goes to plan it'll more than I could have wished! Can always depart to Taquitz if JT actually is too hot - recent highs of 30degC...

Thanks for the offer of guide books Martin, I should have replied earlier (fly Sunday)!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.