/ How important? - heart rate in mountain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Shunsuke Furukawa - on 21 Apr 2013
I just got question for probably very basic thing in the mountain....

How important is to know your heart rate in climbing mountain? Is there any recommendation for product?

I guess one is you check when you are training(running / cycling) so you can keep the same in the mountain?

Other one would be to avoid the trouble in the cold weather(death from cold)?

I appreciate your opinion!! Thanks,
Cuthbert on 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Shunsuke Furukawa:

Of zero importance.
JFraser123 - on 21 Apr 2013
Hi Shunsuke,

Measuring heart rate in the mountains is quite an uncommon thing, I don't think people tend to get near their maximal heart rate, and the mountains are not often used as a cardio training area. In terms of avoiding death by cold it is far more important to keep moving and carry plenty of warm clothes rather than keeping your heart rate high.

Cheers,

Joe

p.s. - most heart rate monitors require a chest band- very cold and awkward to put on when its raining/cold/wearing a rucksack.
Camm - on 21 Apr 2013
I do like to train in the mountains if I can. I have been known to take a finger blood-oxygen monitor, but only because I don't have any else to measure HR. If I take it out (only have done twice) I'll put it on when ever I'm working hard, to see what my heart is doing. This helps me to make my training off the mountain realistic. It's also surprising how easy you heart can get to 95%+ when walking uphill with a 20/25kg sack of gear.
ablackett - on 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Shunsuke Furukawa: It depends what you are doing, if you are training to get fit and following a training plan which demands you train at 80-85% heart rate, for 5 hours, then the next day do 95% for 1 hour etc, it's vital.

If you are running and you want to keep near your limit, but not get too tired, it can be useful if you know what heart rate your limit is.

If you are climbing/walking all day, just go at whatever rate feels like you can keep going all day, you don't need a monitor for that.
martinph78 on 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Shunsuke Furukawa: In answer to your question, I don't think it's important to know your heart rate in the mountains. Not outside of a medical scenario.

However, a standard HRM used for running etc works just fine. I have used one for calorie counting and I put the chest strap on at home before setting off. Out of interest, I found my HR averages 75-80% over a day's hill walking/scrambling and whilst I didn't hit max I did hit 90-95% a few times.

As a specific fitness/training aid I think they have as much value in the mountains as they do for any other sport.
redsonja - on 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Shunsuke Furukawa: recovery rate is more important than heart rate to measure fitness
MG - on 23 Apr 2013

> How important is to know your heart rate in climbing mountain?

Vital. Until heart rate monitors came about no mountains were climbed. Make sure yours has an alarm so you know when to slow down. Otherwise it's really difficult to know what to do when your legs feel tired and you are out of breath.
Kenny Wilson - on 25 Apr 2013
In reply to MG:

I agree but perhaps a bit more literally.

Having a heart rate in the mountains is important. If you don't have one the MRT will zip the bag right up.

Seriously though, perhaps the general consensus will be that getting out on the hill is the most vital thing. Being a slave to numbers might take some of the shine away.

Orgsm on 25 Apr 2013

Zero importance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.