/ Brimham Rocks Car Park - Locked in!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
loftustowncrier on 21 Apr 2013
For anyone tempted to climb past the advertised time for the car park closure; please don't! For the first time we have ever known, the gates were locked by the time we arrived back at our car yesterday, at about 7pm. Luckily for us, a local resident was passing and he was able to telephone someone who knew the code so we escaped within about 40 minutes. Be warned!
Jon Stewart - on 21 Apr 2013
In reply to loftustowncrier:

Thanks for the info!
Simon Caldwell - on 22 Apr 2013
Maybe worth contacting the BMC access rep - since they've spent much of the last 10 years closing most of the free roadside parking, this is effectively preventing evening climbing at Brimham.

A closure time of 6pm is ridiculous! It always used to be sunset or shortly afterwards, and they'd check the main climbing areas before locking up.
a lakeland climber on 22 Apr 2013

Maybe they could play the theme tune from The Great Escape over a tannoy system about 15 mins before they lock the gates?

ALC
hokkyokusei - on 22 Apr 2013
In reply to Toreador:

> A closure time of 6pm is ridiculous! It always used to be sunset or shortly afterwards, ...

According to the web site it still is:
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/brimham-rocks/opening-times/
Jon Stewart - on 22 Apr 2013
In reply to Toreador:

Good point.

[Personally, I'll just avoid Brimham because I can't climb any of the routes there, they're all horrible.]
jkarran - on 22 Apr 2013
In reply to Toreador:

I suspect the warden maybe isn't living on site anymore.
jk
phleppy on 22 Apr 2013
In reply to loftustowncrier: Just park in the free layby or small carpark on the main road, 5 minute walk in is fine and i've parked there everytime and never had my car broken into or any problems.
Carolyn - on 22 Apr 2013
In reply to hokkyokusei:
> According to the web site it still is:
> http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/brimham-rocks/opening-times/

Interesting, there was definitely a laminated signed pinned to the barrier saying it'd be closed at 6 pm on Saturday. However, as my previous visit was about a decade ago, I can't say if it's usually there or not!
In reply to phleppy:
which is fine until it fills up - which won't take long if the main car park is closed.
In reply to Carolyn:
there's always a sign there, but it was previously set to a sensible time. It was 6pm last week, we assumed they'd forgotten to change it!
loftustowncrier on 22 Apr 2013
I have always known the sign to be there but have never known them actually lock it at the advertised time. Apparently they use a contracted firm to lock the gate and they are instructed not to lock the gates if anyone is still in the car park. We were about an hour over though. Other climbers had been there recently and told us they had stayed long past the advertised closure time. It was just such a lovely evening on Saturday and not dark until about 9ish. We have no excuse and were lucky to meet a helpful local but it would put us off climbing there on a summer's afternoon if we had to go back to move the car.

There was no way we could have parked at the side of the road on Saturday; it was just too busy and it's a longish drive to get there. Anyway, I thought it was worth a word of warning.
In reply to Jon Stewart:
What's up with the routes at Brimham Jon?
> (In reply to Jon Stewart)
> What's up with the routes at Brimham Jon?

Seems to offer mainly dirty offwidths with dirty elephant's arse top-outs, which are great if you like that kind of thing. If a route looks like it might be OK, when you get there it's got no gear, is a complete sandbag and has inches of crud all over it. In my limited experience.
In reply to Jon Stewart:
Fair enough. It was the first place I climbed outside, and then the first place I led anything. I guess I'm used to it. I don't mind the long run-outs but I now find polished limestone really intimidating. I did long for some nice solid crimps when we were at Brimham on Saturday though.
> (In reply to Jon Stewart)
> I don't mind the long run-outs...

It's not so much the length of the run-outs, but the shortness of the routes that is my concern...a less than idea combination!

pebbles - on 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:
> (In reply to loftustowncrier)
> [...]
>
> Seems to offer mainly dirty offwidths with dirty elephant's arse top-outs, ...If a route looks like it might be OK, when you get there it's got no gear, is a complete sandbag and has inches of crud all over it. In my limited experience.

your experience is way too limited. There are some routes like you describe at brimham (as at most places), there are also well protected three star classics by the bagful. try the "12 quality VS climbs at Brimham" ukc ticklist l for 12 of the best (and well protected) VS routes at brimham. (sorry, for some reason ukc doesnt let me post the link) . If you find any crud on them I will be very surprised.

pebbles - on 23 Apr 2013
In reply to loftustowncrier: the sign is always there, but in the past the advertised time has always been around dusk, allowing people to use brimham after work. 6pm is ridiculously early, if this cloing time turns out to be regular then I think we need to talk to the BMC access people as Toreador suggested, because Brimham is one of the most important 'after work' venues in the area and as people have pointed out, the layby will soon fill up, specially as the good weather arrives and families and walkers as well as climbers will be wanting to use it
Simon Caldwell - on 23 Apr 2013
In reply to pebbles:
I emailed the national trust and the bmc yesterday. No reply from either yet.
pebbles - on 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Toreador: so did I - I got this very nice reply
"Thank you for your message. Im sorry, this was an oversight by us in not changing the sign with the lengthening days. The policy remains the same as in previous years, at dusk, which as you say is 8pm at the moment. I apologise for the confusion or inconvenience this may have caused you.

I hope we have some lovely summer evenings ahead so you can enjoy the Rocks after work !
"

So if people have been locked in earlier than this, it might be an idea for them to write to the NT and let them know
ads.ukclimbing.com
Simon Caldwell - on 23 Apr 2013
In reply to pebbles:
I'm obviously easier to ignore than you are ;-)
pebbles - on 23 Apr 2013
In reply to Toreador: or found the better email address to write to :-)
loftustowncrier on 23 Apr 2013
Cheers guys. I'll get my complaining head on tomorrow.
loftustowncrier on 23 Apr 2013
Email just sent.
loftustowncrier on 25 Apr 2013
Received a reply apologising that we were locked in, and stating that my email has been passed to the property for attention. I wonder if they had a good laugh in the office...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.