/ fisherfield munros

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
redsonja - on 24 Apr 2013
im down to my last 4 munros and planning to do in a day the ridge from beinn a'Chlaidheimh to beinn Tarsuinn. has anyone done this in a day from corrie hallie? and about how long is it likely to take?
Mark Bull - on 24 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:

I've not done it: it's a bit of a brute (35km, 2100m of ascent), say 12-14 hours? Seeing as Beinn a'Chlaidheimh is now a Corbett, you could consider doing the other 3 via Loch a'Bhraoin (30km, 1500m), which also avoids any river crossing problems, and is (I believe) cycleable as far as the former bothy at Lochivraon.
In reply to heidi123: Hi Heidi

You are down to your last 3 munros actually.

Beinn a' Chleidheimhmhmh (sp>) is no longer a Munro: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/item.php?id=67414

..though it is of course still just as worth climbing as it was before.

For the Fisherfield Six I've written it up as 16hrs Corrie Hallie-to-Corrie Hallie, though you could add or subtract a couple of hours from that depending on fitness and weather. If you're missing A'Mhaighdean and Ruad Stac Mor from that route then you can probably subtract another 2 hours. Arguably not much less than that - you're a long way from Corrie Hallie at the summit of Tarsuinn...
In reply to Mark Bull: Beat me to it
In reply to heidi123: I still want to do Beinn a'Chlaidheimh as the ridge looks fabulous and I will need to do it as a Corbett. but it looks VERY steep and im not so fast as a lot of munro baggers!
tony on 24 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Congratulations! I did the three Munros - Beinn Tarsuinn and the other 2 - from Kinlochewe. I cycled up to the end of Lochan Fada and then did a circuit starting with Beinn Tarsuinn and then on to the others. I can't remember how long it took, but it was quite a long day. It was one of the few times when I felt a bit 'out there' - the rivers were high, so I didn't think there would be many people coming in from the North. In fact, I don't remember seeing anyone else all day.

I did Beinn a'Chlaidheimh on its own, from Corrie Hallie. It's an okay way to do it, but it's not the most exciting way, and it doesn't make the most of the place. If I was doing it again, I think I'd be tempted to go via Loch a'Bhraoin. You can cycle some way along the loch.
Pero - on 24 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123: Unless you are fast, you'll struggle to get in and out on the same day. Even from Shenavall, those four would take about 8-10 hours.

It is very steep up Beinn a'Chlaidheimh, but perfectly manageable.

If you can arrange it, you could walk out from Tarsuinn to Kinlochewe, which would be a lot shorter than heading back to Coire Hallie.

The main alternative, of course, is to stay a night (or two) at Shenavall.

Simon Caldwell - on 24 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:
We did the four starting and finishing at Carnmore, and took about 13 hours.
http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/e.php?d=20100524&u=2022&i=126268
rif on 24 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:
Took me 7 hrs Corriehallie to Beinn Tarsuinn one June afternoon. Back along Gleann na Muice to Shenavall and out to the road looks like 10+ miles, so would take at least another 4 hours. (I didn't return that way, but bivvied on A'M and did RSM and An Teallach the next day - oh to be that fit now!)

I suspect it'd be quicker to go in past Loch a'Bhraoin; the first 4 miles or so is bikeable.
Hammy - on 24 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123: I did these four summits from Corrie Hallie a good few years back. I walked in and dropped overnight stuff at Shenavall, then did the four summits finishing down Gleann na Muice in the dark and back to Shenavall, overnighted and walked out in the morning. Two wet river crossings along the way.

You'd have to be pretty nippy to do the whole thing in a day - it felt a long way!

I had a memorable night at Shenavall having the place to myself except for a big stag which decided to park itself right outside the front door giving me the fright of my life when I tried to go out to 'use the facilities'. It wouldn't budge so I ended up climbing in and out of the window!
Jim C - on 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Hammy: whatever you do take lightweight crocks with you for river crossing , they were a godsend hen I did he 6.
Jim Braid - on 24 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123: On my first round I walked in from Corrie Hallie to Shenevall in 1:45 then on to do Chlaidheimh to Tarsuinn and back to Shenevall in 8:45. Total ten and a half hours.

I was also doing the tops so there was a bit out and back on Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair which you may or may not want to do.

Next day I went out and back from Shenevall on the other side of the glen (Ruadh Stac Mor and A' Mhaighdean)in 6:45 and walked back out in 1:45.

So overall for what you're planning I would have been 12:15. Knock off 15 minutes as I had overnight kit on the out and back to Shenevall and as if by magic I'm back at the 12 hours suggested by Dan above. Congratulations to both of us are in order. Thank you.

Welsh Kate - on 24 Apr 2013
In reply to Pero:
Depending on when the OP's planning to do this - the MBA are doing work on Shenevall May 4-13th, so probably best not to plan on staying there during that period!
http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/news-maintenance-item.asp?item_id=464
In reply to heidi123: thanks everyone for your help. im planning to go in a couple of weeks but unfortunately will only have 1 day. do you think the loch a' Bhroan (?) approach would be quicker? I don't have a bike.
In reply to heidi123: or looking at the map, maybe I will leave Beinn a' Chlaidheimh for another day. the 3 would be much more do-able. the ridge looks really good though
drunken monkey - on 25 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123: I'd love to be heading back in there. My favourite part of the country.

I did them all in a big day probably in 2005 or 2006. We left Dundonnel at 0500, up and over An Teallach, then round the Fisherfield 6 anti-clockwise from Shenevall and out to CorrieHallie at 2345.

I was completely GOOSED. Awesome day out however. i'm no-where near fit enough to try again now!
prog99 on 25 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:
Would you be able to get there the night before? We've walked into Shenavall at night a few times getting in there at midnight. Would then get you a nice early start the next day.
drmarten on 25 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:
I've been into Fisherfield several times from most directions (not Gruinard), done the Six in a day and done them split into smaller chunks. One of best trips was to do a linear walk from Corrie Hallie to Poolewe doing the Corbetts on the way, it's one summit harder now but it would still be doable, with an overnighter (or two) of course.
Loch a'Bhraoin is a good walk in as well, I went in that way to do Mullach Coire Mhich Fhearchair and Beinn Tarsuinn (18.5 miles round trip) and while I say I wouldn't take a bike along there, I've seen tracks and read of others doing so. I'm no great shakes on a bike so whenever the going gets tough, I'm pushing.
Good luck.
Jamie B - on 25 Apr 2013
In reply to drmarten:

The cycle from the Kinlochewe side is a lot more punter-friendly and gets you to 070667 easily enough. From here a round of the three Munros is a realistic day-hit if you miss out Beinn a’Chlaidheimh.
Pero - on 25 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123: If you've only got one day and can miss out Beinn a' Chlaidheimh, then a good option is from Kinlochewe. It's not a big drop between the two to the east and you could always leave your pack to nip up Tarsuinn. And, if you do Tarsuinn last, you're not over-committed.

It's still probably 10 hours plus, but you don't have the big ascent on the walk out to Coire Hallie.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Robert Durran - on 25 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:

The last time I did these I went from Kinlochewe to Coire Hallie which was a very satisfying longish but resaonable day. Found a brilliant pothole below a small waterfall for a dip on the slopes of Tarsuinn! Needs transport arrangements though. I've also done them in a day from Coire Hallie which was a longer but pleasant approach with a more interesting ascent of Tarsuinn.
forcan - on 25 Apr 2013
Its a long day whichever way you go in - I've always gone in from Dundonnel, easy route finding when it gets dark. Did all 6 (Beinn a'Chlaidheimh was still a Munro when I climbed it last, so its bloody well staying on my list!) from Shenevall in 11 hours, the 3 should take around 9-10 hours from the road
Jim Braid - on 26 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123:
> (In reply to heidi123) thanks everyone for your help. im planning to go in a couple of weeks but unfortunately will only have 1 day. do you think the loch a' Bhroan (?) approach would be quicker? I don't have a bike.

I've used the the Loch a' Bhraoin approach to go up Sgurr Ban and it was straightforward. Went in this way for a change and also to explore the large exposed area of rock above the W side of Loch an Nid. Certainly an area worth taking a look at. Don't know if it would be faster but it seems to me it's a much more awkward looking day if you're trying to do all the Munros on that side. There's a good reason the approach from Corrie Hallie is the preferred route.

I'm sure that like most of us who have been to that area you'll be back to try different approaches and combinations of hills.
redsonja - on 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Jim Braid: did you go up via coire nan clach? is there a path?
Jim Braid - on 26 Apr 2013
In reply to heidi123: I think I went up the slope to the N of Coire nan Clach and Meallan an Laoigh on the area marked as cliffs on the map. I don't recall a path after leaving the main track that runs down the glen on the E side of Loch an Nid.

Bear in mind that although I was making for the top of Sgurr Ban I was more interested in exploring the large slabby area of exposed rock so was not necessarily looking for a path or the fastest or easiest way up. I was simply having a relaxed look at an area that interested me and was quite happy wandering about taking my time and just enjoying my surroundings.
drmarten on 27 Apr 2013
In reply to Jim Braid:
I've just checked my memory map and I went up similar slabby rock (but smaller in area) to get onto Mullach Coire Mhic Fearchair then uphill SW to the bealach between pt.981 and pt.918. It was a bone dry day and the slabs were great for walking on. I went onto Tarsuinn and I remember the walk back being a bit rough but I did find a path around the south of the hills and NE through the Bealach na Croise back to Lochivraon
redsonja - on 02 May 2013
In reply to heidi123: hi guys. thanks for all your help. I have reluctantly decided to leave beinn a' chlaidheimh for another day and go in via loch a' bhraoin. is most of the snow gone from the mountains or will i need to take axe and crampons? I know the river crossings aren't so bad on this approach, but is there likely to be any problem crossing? many thanks. im going Monday afternoon and doing the route tuesday
In reply to heidi123:
There is still a lot of snow. Burn levels are very high following a LOT of rain in the past 24 hours. Should get a bit drier through Sunday and Monday and a bit milder so snow amounts and water levels should decrease.
wcdave - on 03 May 2013
In reply to heidi123: The river running into Loch an Nid on Loch a Bhraoin side can be waist deep, and dangerous if it's high. Have crossed it on a really sunny morning when it's low, and really struggled getting back across at the end of the day following heavy rain.

In reply to heidi123:
Actually your best approach to Beinn Tarsuinn, Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair and Sgurr Ban to avoid burn crossings is from Kinlochewe via Heights of Kinlochewe track. Particularly if you have a bike as you can cycle to within a 40 minute walk of Lochan Fada. It will still be very wet underfoot and this does involve returning from Sgurr Ban over Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair.. I think burn crossings will still be problematic come Monday as it doesn't look like being completely dry up here over the next couple of days either.
redsonja - on 03 May 2013
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale: I don't have a bike. approx. how long do you think this way would take? thanks
ccmm on 03 May 2013 - 194.82.141.222 whois?
In reply to heidi123:
> (In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale) I don't have a bike. approx. how long do you think this way would take? thanks

From Incheril car park it's 10.8km with 370m of up, mostly on good tracks so 3 to 4 hours should do it comfortably with a pack on.
ccmm on 03 May 2013 - 194.82.141.222 whois?
In reply to Craig Mc:

I should have stated that's to the east end of Lochan Fada.
Mark Bull - on 03 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

The Kinlochewe route is around 33km and 1600m of ascent: 11-12 hours?
Jim Braid - on 03 May 2013
In reply to heidi123: One time I walked in by Heights of Kinlochewe and Gleann na Muice then out by Gleann Bianasdail. Did a fine natural round of Beinn Tarsuinn and Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair plus tops, so no out and back to Sgurr Ban. It was a very leisurely easy paced day and took 11 hours 50 minutes. I wasn't in a rush to be anywhere else. Views from top of Gleann na Muice were pretty special; it's a great wee track down to Lochan Fada. If you chop off 2 hours at least to get to a normal paced day you would have the same again near enough to add on for the out and back to Sgurr Ban.

If you do this route then relax, enjoy yourself miss out Sgurr Ban this time and come back again to do it together with Beinn a' Chlaidheim.
redsonja - on 08 May 2013
In reply to heidi123: Hi guys. thanks to everyone who gave me advice. yesterday I did the 3 munros from kinlochewe, which is a great way in to them. it took just over 12 hrs car to car, in fabulous weather and I have now finished the munros! the advice about rivers being very high was good- I don't think there was any chance of going in from the north. there was quite a bit of snow on the northern slopes and we put crampons on for the descent and re ascent of mullach corie mich feracher
tony on 08 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Congratulations! Sounds like a great way to finish them off - a proper big day in good conditions.

So what's next?
In reply to heidi123: well... I know this might sound silly, but I have a list of mountains I want to climb in the world, (eg mt kazbek, Grossglockner, pico aneto) and many others, long distance trails I want to do (eg pennine way, arctic circle trail in Greenland) and places I want to visit (eg Murmansk!) and I have called them the Heidis!! so im going to work my way through these.
Mark Bull - on 08 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Well done! Glad you had a good day for it.
Jamie B - on 08 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Congratulations. Will you be applying for a Number?
ads.ukclimbing.com
In reply to Jamie B: could you tell me how to do this please?
Fiona Reid - on 08 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Congratulations on compleating. Details on how to register are at: http://www.smc.org.uk/Munros/Munros.php
In reply to heidi123:
Well done - now do the Corbetts - much more of a logistical problem than the Munros - you could als throw in the Grahams for good measure.
drmarten on 08 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:
Well done you did very well picking a day like you did - that may have been summer :-)
Good luck with the Heidi's.
Fat Bumbly2 - on 08 May 2013
In reply to heidi123: Congrats!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.