/ Tour de Mont Blanc in July - equipment?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
chaldakov - on 25 Apr 2013
I planned to do TMB in July 2013.
I have two questions about my equipment:

1. Shoes. I have two kinds of shoes:
1.1. Millet SWITCH (not good for snow) millet.fr/en/…switch-gore-tex
1.2. Scarpa Rebel GTX (hard sole) www.scarpa.co.uk/mountain/rebel-carbon-gtx/
1.3. Do I need another? Please suggest?

2. Down jacket. I'll be in a tent. Do I need to take down jacket + 680 g rated load?

Thank you :)
Roberttaylor - on 25 Apr 2013
In reply to chaldakov:

Shoes, if you do loads of walking wear trainers, if not wear whatever boot is lightest and comfiest. Good for snow is not that much of an issue as while you will cross some snow patches they are usually nice and hard/fairly small.

Down jacket probably won't be needed unless you are camping high up which there is no need to do.
In reply to Roberttaylor: Thank you. Do often raining at this time of year - July 7 to 20? How watertight jacket is needed - Gore-Tex Paclite or Gore-Tex Pro Shell?
IainRUK - on 25 Apr 2013
In reply to chaldakov: It could be anything.. the UTMB is on a week later and its had everything from 30+ C down to strong winds and snow..

The trails great, trainers are fine.

Normally a light jacket suffices.
Dave B on 25 Apr 2013
In reply to chaldakov:

I was glad of a down jacket when it snowed on us for several hours... The refuge we hid out in was very cold...

It was also very warm... On other days...

When It rained, it RAINED...
In reply to Dave B: I will be on tent... night how the temperature falls?
Dave B on 26 Apr 2013
In reply to chaldakov:

I think we took our ME light line bags, 550 g of down and were toasty at night in the tent, even with it having too much mesh... It was cold early morning but if you could cope with the early day it was fine until sun down below the mountain ridge line.... Then a dash inside the tent and sleeping bag was needed. It was worth washing off sweat and putting dry clothes on before sun down as it got very cold very quickly when you were damp.

chaldakov - on 29 Apr 2013
In reply to Dave B: Dave, thank you very useful information:)

I have Ferrino down jacket - 680 gr. and down sleeping bag Mammut - 800 gr. Does it make sense to take both or just down sleeping bag and when gets cold go inside the tent and turn to me sleeping bag? What do you think?
chaldakov - on 09 May 2013
In reply to chaldakov:

Thank you :) I did my lessons learned.

I will take the summer down sleeping bag Mammut - 800 gr and 450 g thin down jacket Berghaus Mount Asgard Hybrid Jacket http://store.berghaus.com/p/clothing/mens-mount-asgard-hybrid-ii-jacket/420590 or Millet down jacket 680 gr. according the forecast to moment.

My backpack with my luggage will be 7 kg without food and water. I think that's good? What do you think?
ads.ukclimbing.com
walts4 - on 09 May 2013
In reply to chaldakov:
Lightweight umbrella missing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.