/ Island Tops Bagging List

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Pete Pozman - on 03 May 2013
Has anyone come up with the idea of a peak bagging list for all the tops of all the British Isles including Iona, Rathlin, Lindisfarne, Read's Island etc. There's some significant tops, though often small eg Dun I, 101 metres on Iona. They usually feel quite satisfying to climb.
Tom Last - on 03 May 2013
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Good call.

Dun Caan on Raasay, brilliant hill.
macmuseeuw on 03 May 2013
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Haven't come up with a plan to visit the islands of UK. Instead, I have this vague notion to climb the highest peak on all the Scottish islands. So far, I've ticked off Harris, Sth Uist, Eriskay, Skye, Mull, Luing and Arran.
Like your idea.
SCC Changed - on 03 May 2013
In reply to macmuseeuw: great idea. I must confess I've never heard of Read's island (must google). It could be quite a long list depending on what counts as an island or top. I met someone in Shetland who was trying to visit all the Shetland Islands- his current count was already over 100!
Jack Frost - on 03 May 2013
In reply to Pete Pozman:

http://www.islandbagger.co.uk/

Only Scotland mind you....but there must be another list somewhere
In reply to SCC Changed: Read's Island is in the Humber Estuary. I put it in as a joke as it's 1 foot above sea level. I drove past just to have a look last week and it's a patch of mire in the water. Maybe the list could be feasible by there being some sort of hill qualification, 100 feet or metres. I'll bet there are people trying to bag all the islands, Hilbre for instance. Maybe someone's done it already?
In reply to Pete Pozman: See...
Tim Chappell - on 04 May 2013
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I collect highest points of land masses. I have in my collection:

Britain
Raasay
Pladda
Skye
Arran
Jersey
NZ North Island
Fladda
Mull

I know: must do better. But will soon.
SCC Changed - on 04 May 2013
In reply to Pete Pozman: Read's island should be easy enough! Hilbre looks more interesting, though. I've kayaked past there, and it looks like there might be good bouldering. (The landward side of the ridge at Red Rocks is pretty solid sandstone)
newhey - on 04 May 2013
In reply to Pete Pozman:

This is the list you need
http://www.peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=15110

Done over half of them. Can really recommend Ailsa Craig and Scarba as interesting and unusual destinations.
inboard - on 04 May 2013
In reply to Pete Pozman:
Hamish Haswell-Smith's book 'The Scottish Islands' is a great resource - lists all the islands and gives some information (topology, geology, flora, fauna, social history etc). Good start to a list for Scotland at least.
Tom V - on 04 May 2013
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Let mw know when you're doing Kelham Island, Pete, and we'll meet up ;)
Jim C - on 04 May 2013
In reply to newhey:
> (In reply to Pete Pozman)
>
> This is the list you need
> http://www.peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=15110
>
> Done over half of them. Can really recommend Ailsa Craig and Scarba as interesting and unusual destinations.

I did mainland Shetland, Yell and Unst last year, hope to do St Kilda this year . I am not halfway, but quite a few , thanks for he list.

N.b if anyone wants to do Shetland on a budget, look up Bods from the amenity trust , really cheap, accommodation in unusual places, just take your own fuel.
fmck - on 05 May 2013
In reply to Jim C:

It is a smart place Ailsa Craig so much so were returning this year but taking in lady isle also.

The island chain down to Berneray was about the best for me yet.

Getting off Taransay in my old 4hp dinghy and across in a fast approaching storm was probably my most stupid move just to bag a peak n island.
Pete Pozman - on 05 May 2013
In reply to Tom V: Do they still serve real ale in the museum or am I dreaming?
In reply to Jim C: I reckon Island Marilyns is a worthy enough objective, but it misses out some sweet little hills that any walker is really going to want to summit. As it's already tabulated we can get it on the Hill Lists List right now?
Because you usually go from sea level and the tops have a significance arising from their position I reckon 100 metres height would produce a sensible list. Otherwise it's really just island bagging, a fantastic objective in itself I agree. Just doing Read's Island is worthy of a lifetime's ambition!
In reply to Pete Pozman: Oh and of course the hills have to be the highest point of the island.
Mark Bull - on 06 May 2013
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> Because you usually go from sea level and the tops have a significance arising from their position I reckon 100 metres height would produce a sensible list.

You can easily generate such a list from the British Hills Database at http://hills-database.co.uk/downloads.html by extracting hills for which Drop = Height.

There are some more "stopper" sea stacks in addition to the St. Kilda ones!
Chris Harris - on 06 May 2013
In reply to Pete Pozman:
> Has anyone come up with the idea of a peak bagging list for all the tops of all the British Isles including Iona, Rathlin, Lindisfarne.

Lindisfarne might be an issue, as the highest point is somewhat occupied....

fmck - on 08 May 2013
In reply to Southern Man:

Going to its n neighbour in 2 weeks. One thing I noticed with people I climbed with when I was younger was the move to boats (mostly sailing).

The Marilyn/Hump thing or trig point numbers collection scares the c##p out me. I have met some doing islands and these folks are quite extreme in an intense way. They started chanting on top of a hill I visited on Mingulay with the tourist boat.
Fat Bumbly2 - on 09 May 2013
In reply to fmck:
Speaking as a wee hill bagger, we are not all like that, but you have a point.
I take part in a few of these trips and have a reasonable collection. It was all quite sane up to a few years ago. That chant is an embarassing annoyance which is now taken as an excuse to wander off a bit to take a photo. Any HoF folk here - consider canning it, at least in public.

AFAIK the trigpoint collectors do not indulge in this behaviour.

Easy enough to get the 100m+ list off the hills database
Nobby Wright - on 09 May 2013
In reply to Pete Pozman: On Colonsay/Oronsay you can do the round of the Mc Phees thats hills over 300feet There are about 20+ of them. Enjoy
estivoautumnal - on 09 May 2013
In reply to Jim C:
> (In reply to newhey)
> [...]
>
> I did mainland Shetland, Yell and Unst last year, hope to do St Kilda this year .

What did you do to them?
Pete Pozman - on 09 May 2013
In reply to Fat Bumbly2: I am working on it. Putting in the island names on an excel spreadsheet now. Still got Ireland to do.
In reply to Pete Pozman: Finished the Great Britain (ie not Ireland) bit. Any tips on how I can share it?
In reply to Pete Pozman: Now finished the list with Great Britain and Irish Islands HUMPS. Can't find out much about Ilanmaster as 2 islands, otherwise there are 118 Island HUMPS.Same question: tips on sharing?
fmck - on 10 May 2013
In reply to Fat Bumbly2:

He he!

That's it. "Hof, hof, hof, hof, hof, hof, hof, hof" while they patted the trig point in a fast demented manner.

Flippen mental!

I have to say through I was the one talking to myself a safe distance away. As you say pretending to take pictures.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.