/ Bizzarre log-book views and votes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Offwidth - on 04 May 2013
Sometimes I just wonder...

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=28322&lgn=1625

Toreador and only two other posters recognising this is probably a HS; with a nasty 4c start if you follow the line in Rockfax? How can so many get it wrong????
Neil R - on 04 May 2013
In reply to Offwidth: Maybe the others are using the different description in the Yorkshire Gritstone guide.
kyaizawa - on 04 May 2013
In reply to Offwidth: I'm fairly certain I sent one a novice club member up this as one of their first leads and their response was that it wasn't too hard just a little thin on gear?? However, we were working off my mate's YMC guide that day so maybe that has a bit more info/different line?? I don't own a copy to check!!
victim of mathematics - on 04 May 2013
In reply to Neil R:

No, the YMC guide describes exactly the same line.
Jamie B - on 04 May 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

> How can so many get it wrong????

Because they don't have the option of voting for Hard Severe, or even Severe, just ludicrous sub-divisions of the HVDiff "grade"!

This needs sorted, the sub-divisions make it harder to indicate a big grade discrepancy.

Offwidth - on 05 May 2013
In reply to Jamie B:

Yet only one vote for HVD so that logic doesn't work and the descriptions are the same.

The only things I can think of is some folk can't tell a VD sandbag when they lead E1 and for those that can tell they are so used to being sandbagged on yorkshire VD anyhow in terms of technicality this one isn't too bad (but unlike most of those this one is bold as well); both assuming you avoid the steep and tricky 4c start.
Jamie B - on 05 May 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

I suspect that when most people saw all the meaningless subdivisions of a grade that isn't actually a grade (HVD) and no Severe or HS option they gave up and didn't vote. That would probably have been my reaction too!
bpmclimb - on 06 May 2013
In reply to Jamie B:
> (In reply to Offwidth)
>
> [...]

> This needs sorted, the sub-divisions make it harder to indicate a big grade discrepancy.

And, much more importantly, they completely screw up your UKC logbook averages :)
Simon Caldwell - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Jamie B:
Those sub-divisions were only added recently, before that the only options would have been HVD/VD/D.
I assume that either there's an easier line that involves going round all the hard bits, or all those voting are used to high grades and can't tell VD from VS. Either that or I'm crap - though Offwidth isn't and he seems to agree.
ads.ukclimbing.com
shaun stephens - on 08 May 2013
In reply to Offwidth: I understand the arguments all round but does it really matter what i find hard you find easy!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.