/ What do we think of Chris Froome?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Enty - on 05 May 2013
Never been able to warm to him to be honest even before last summer.
Then spitting the dummy at the Tour.
That scowl at the SPOTY awards.
His attack at the Criterium International to take the Yellow Jersey from team mate Porte who would have won anyway - this is being described as a tactical masterclass by Sky on Froome's blog - I'm not so sure. Froome's going to need Porte in July!

We saw Froome training on The Ventoux this week.I have some inside info that Dave Brailsford had to divert to Marseille on his way to Italy on Thursday for a special "chat" with Froome.

You need friends to succeed at pro Stage racing and I don't think he's making very many.

What do you reckon?

E

PS. His bonkers girlfriend doesn't do him any favours on twitter. Last week she announced Chris would be training on The Ventoux on Wednesday. The tweet was quickly removed and the training day swiftly moved to Thursday.
There's the spat with Cath Wiggins too!

ClimberEd - on 05 May 2013
In reply to Enty:

+1. Can't warm to him either. Seems petulant.

Girlfriend needs to be put on a very short leash, would you normally expect your other half to walk into your office and have a go at people for you - nope me neither.

IainFP on 05 May 2013
In reply to Enty: Inclined to agree with you. Suspect a lot of the "problems" stem from an exceptionally ambitious/competitive personality. The single-minded elite amongst elites maybe?

And yes, nutter GF doesn't help :0)
AlisonSmiles - on 05 May 2013
In reply to Enty:

I've sat next to him for a meal thingy back in 2008. He is a genuinely charming, intelligent, witty man, and also hot (IMO). He's actually incredibly likeable, but possibly this doesn't come across on camera etc.

I agree with your views on the girlfriend. And Dave was in France last week.
Deviant - on 05 May 2013
In reply to Enty:

Well I'm sure he'll get sleepless nights worrying about this !

Enty - on 05 May 2013
In reply to AlisonSmiles:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> I've sat next to him for a meal thingy back in 2008. He is a genuinely charming, intelligent, witty man, and also hot (IMO). He's actually incredibly likeable, but possibly this doesn't come across on camera etc.
>
That's usually the case when you meet them in real life. I think he does come across as cool in front of the camera (except at SPOTY) It's on the bike he need to calm down.

> I agree with your views on the girlfriend. And Dave was in France last week.

Saw him ;-)

E
Chris the Tall - on 05 May 2013
Am I right in thinking he is based in Monaco ?

If so then Ithat doesn't sit too well with me. Yes I know a lot of cyclists live on the med coast, Girona seems popular, but at least you pay taxes there.

As to his girlfriend, I can't believe her recent tweets weren't approved, if not instigated, by him.

But he is a bloody good rider and I'd be quite happy if he wins the tour. Well happier than if it was a Spaniard anyway
Deviant - on 05 May 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to AlisonSmiles)
> Am I right in thinking he is based in Monaco ?
>
> If so then Ithat doesn't sit too well with me. Yes I know a lot of cyclists live on the med coast, Girona seems popular, but at least you pay taxes there.
>
>

Again, I'm amazed at these personal judgments ! The guy will only be at the top for a short period of time so he's perfectly correct in maximizing his income.
Enty - on 05 May 2013
In reply to Deviant:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
>
> Well I'm sure he'll get sleepless nights worrying about this !

Oh I've never had a stalker - should I be flattered? Anyway did you get up on the wrong side of the cage again this morning?

E
Deviant - on 05 May 2013
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to Deviant)
> [...]
>
> Oh I've never had a stalker - should I be flattered? Anyway did you get up on the wrong side of the cage again this morning?
>
> E

My 'Isn't Watching.......' thread is over a week old; hardly stalking !

Peut-ętre la folie des grandeurs ?

Enty - on 05 May 2013
In reply to Deviant:
> (In reply to Enty)
> [...]
>

>
> Peut-ętre la folie des grandeurs ?

I wish - anyway piss off and stop spoiling my thread ;-)

E
henrygs - on 05 May 2013
In reply to Enty:
Interesting one... I don't think we will know Wiggins' true opinion of Froome and vice versa, until they are retired from the sport and have bought out their autobiographies! They are definitely two big personalities, and Wiggins is much easier to warm to. It will be interesting seeing them both racing the Tour this year. You might be interested in this (if you haven't seen it already) http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/may/01/bradley-wiggins-chris-froome-rivalry
I'm inclined to agree with the article, but also wonder if having both Froome and Wiggins, who have both admitted a desire to win the TDF this year, in the squad is a good idea. I wonder whether it may cause a huge rift in the team, and possibly play against both of them in the GC?
andymac - on 05 May 2013
In reply to henrygs: I was thinking similar about 'Team Sky'

Question,also,whether the team is big enough to support the 2 of them.

Would say theres also a good possibility that their are a few different factions within the team.Only natural.

Would suspect Froome is very much the outsider.though he may bring some of that on himself.

Wiggins did devote a good few pages to Froome in his latest book ,spilling the beans on last years TDF.
Obviously revealing that their relationship might be a bit thorny.

Froome is clearly a very capable and determined cyclist ,who is quite within his rights to want to achieve the victories that I think he is entitled too.

Age is not exactly on his side either.

If he`s got an oversized ego ,I would say hes entitled to have an oversized ego.

Froome v Wiggins.

Going to be an interesting couple of months
La Shamster on 05 May 2013
In reply to Enty:

I just hope we don't see history repeating itself with Brad and Chris á la Hinault/Lemond and Contador/Armstrong. Surely Dave B isn't daft enough to let that happen?
Enty - on 05 May 2013
In reply to La Shamster:

Isn't Dave mates with sir Alex F - if so I hope Alex has given him some advice ;-)

E
Chris the Tall - on 05 May 2013
In reply to La Shamster:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> I just hope we don't see history repeating itself with Brad and Chris á la Hinault/Lemond and Contador/Armstrong. Surely Dave B isn't daft enough to let that happen?

Why not? I'd rather this was decided on the road than on Kerrison's spreadsheets, and this sort of intra-team rivalry is unique to cycling, and adds to the interest.

As long as neither directly weakens the other, or is expected to sacrifice himself, then all is fair in love and war
Stone Idol - on 05 May 2013
In reply to Enty: Froome is a great biker and no sacrifice - maybe a new team?
JLS on 05 May 2013
In reply to La Shamster:

>"I just hope we don't see history repeating itself with Brad and Chris á la Hinault/Lemond"

Why not? They got one two!
Calder - on 05 May 2013
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to AlisonSmiles)

> ... I think he does come across as cool in front of the camera (except at SPOTY) It's on the bike he need to calm down.

Totally agree with your OP. Regarding the above, I don't think I've seen even a smidge of charisma or humour in any interview I've seen him in. And even if this is just when he's in front of camera, it just doesn't make you want to root for him. Unlike Wiggins.
Minneconjou Sioux - on 06 May 2013
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> I've sat next to him for a meal thingy back in 2008. He is a genuinely charming, intelligent, witty man, and also hot (IMO). He's actually incredibly likeable, but possibly this doesn't come across on camera etc.
>

So which one is the real Chris Froome? TBH I think I'm influenced by his appearance which I realise is unfair. The trouble is its the only measure of the man I have. That and his cycling performance. But the top cyclists are all good cyclists so I've got to go with someone I can relate to. Froome isn't that person for me.
ads.ukclimbing.com
steev on 06 May 2013
In reply to Enty:

He's terrible in interviews and he looks ridiculous on the bike.

I really like him.
Kipper - on 06 May 2013
In reply to Enty:
>
> PS. His bonkers girlfriend doesn't do him any favours on twitter. Last week she announced Chris would be training on The Ventoux on Wednesday. The tweet was quickly removed and the training day swiftly moved to Thursday.
> There's the spat with Cath Wiggins too!

@michellecound 30 Apr

Chris & Brad on the same start line, in the same kit? Mmmmmm… doubt it!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/others/the-battle-of-the-cyclewags-how-the-feud-between-s...

Chris the Tall - on 06 May 2013
In reply to Kipper:
Somewhat misleading headline given that cath wiggins has kept a dignified silence since last year. Their spat during the tour last year was understandable heat of the moment stuff, but the way Cound is continuing does neither her or Froome any credit.

But hey, it's entertaining and gets cycling into the papers for something other than drugs
wbo - on 06 May 2013
In reply to Enty: I do wonder if it would be wise for him to change team. I believe he was talented but underachieving considerably before Sky due to poor planning and prep., and has required hard coaching to get where he is? Given that the coaching at Sky is better than at any other team how much would he suffer from a change of team and downgrade in these areas
JLS on 06 May 2013
In reply to Enty:

>"What do we think of Chris Froome"

Great cyclist, not as popular as Sir Bradley Wiggins but might beat Robert Milllar in a vote.

I think he needs some branding. Perhaps a Billy Fury rocker look complete with leather bomber jacket and a perchance for scrapping with the Mods.
IainAM on 06 May 2013
In reply to Enty:

I've always liked Froome in an understated sort of a way...

> Then spitting the dummy at the Tour.
I don't think we'll never get the truth on this. I think both sides are maybe misrepresenting what happened but I get the impression that Froome thought he had permission to attack, implicit or explicit. He would have beaten Wiggins last year given the chance.

> That scowl at the SPOTY awards.
Hard to know how much to read into that, we all have momentary looks, but if I was in Froome's position knowing that I could have won the tdf and
was watching a 'rival' get all the plaudits (whilst being deliberately excluded from the rider acknowledgments when I was the biggest helper) then I'd be p'd off too. Wiggins would have had a much harder time without Froome.

> His attack at the Criterium International
Froome didn't attack as such, he was setting pace and Porte said he deliberately let Froome's wheel go just to see what would happen. Nobody chased so Froome kept going.

Froome's in a team dominated by British Cycling riders and coaches, he seems to be an outsider there (although there seem to be people here who might have a much better grasp of that.)
I, personally, don't think he's been treated very fairly so far. He could have 2 grand tour wins to his name if it wasn't for following team orders. He shouldn't publicly respond to Wiggins like that though, and his girlfriend really shouldn't post on twitter, doesn't help.

Excepting his girlfriend I generally prefer the way Froome comes across. Wiggins is prone to spitting the dummy and grandstanding a bit too often for my liking and has proven to be selfish and capable of ignoring team orders himself when it doesn't suit him (at Garmin). I think he'd find it very hard to ride for Froome at the Tour but Froome is better suited to winning it.
Toby S - on 06 May 2013
Minneconjou Sioux - on 06 May 2013
In reply to IainAM:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> > He would have beaten Wiggins last year given the chance.

That is speculation but unlikely that he could have done it without Wiggins helping him.

>
> [...]
> Hard to know how much to read into that, we all have momentary looks, but if I was in Froome's position knowing that I could have won the tdf and
> was watching a 'rival' get all the plaudits (whilst being deliberately excluded from the rider acknowledgments when I was the biggest helper) then I'd be p'd off too. Wiggins would have had a much harder time without Froome.
>

I can't agree with you. Sky picked Bradley to win and the rest of the team were there to help. Bradley won. I'm not sure that he has any right to be pissed off about that. Had Bradley failed to win then he might have had a case.

PeterM - on 06 May 2013
In reply to Minneconjou Sioux:
> (In reply to IainAM)
> [...]
>
> That is speculation but unlikely that he could have done it without Wiggins helping him.

I felt at the time that Froome could've done it without Wiggins but Wiggins could not have done it without Froome. Glad they've made that statement though and stopped the speculation and uncertainty. Maybe all the drama queens will call it a day now...
IainAM on 06 May 2013
> (In reply to IainAM)
> [...]
>
> That is speculation but unlikely that he could have done it without Wiggins helping him.
>
Yes it is speculation, and I meant to say could, but it was Froome's final pace setting that dropped all the other main contenders whilst Wiggins sat in his wheel and Froome demonstrated he could ride away from him too.

> I can't agree with you. Sky picked Bradley to win and the rest of the team were there to help. Bradley won. I'm not sure that he has any right to be pissed off about that. Had Bradley failed to win then he might have had a case.
>
A fair point but at the Vuelta Sky took too long before going with the stronger rider. Yes BW won the tour, but he didn't seem to be the strongest overall rider there either. Be very interesting to see how he copes in the Giro with his new climbing prowess.

In reply to PeterM:
> Glad they've made that statement though and stopped the speculation and uncertainty. Maybe all the drama queens will call it a day now...
Indeed
niallk on 06 May 2013
In reply to IainAM:
>
> Froome's in a team dominated by British Cycling riders and coaches, he seems to be an outsider there (although there seem to be people here who might have a much better grasp of that.)
> I, personally, don't think he's been treated very fairly so far. He could have 2 grand tour wins to his name if it wasn't for following team orders. He shouldn't publicly respond to Wiggins like that though, and his girlfriend really shouldn't post on twitter, doesn't help.
>

Those were largely my thoughts too. Last year Wiggins was the designated leader with unwavering support as such from the team from months in advance (and whatever happened that day, ultimately Froome toed the line). Despite Sky then saying they would build around Froome for this year, Wiggins, who has a unique position in the team and a long-term relationship with the management, has repeatedly made comments to the press about potential for his leadership. Even if some of these were taken out of conext, he's clever enough to know what he's doing. No wonder Froome comes across as defensive and guarded in interviews where he is repeatedly asked whether he will be the leader at the Tour. That said, he really isn't the most engaging in an interview, whatever he's like in person.

To be honest, I'm surprised it has taken this long for the Sky management to take hold of the PR on this and get everyone 'on message' (whatever that be - for on or the other, or that the position is yet to be decided).

I am however quite intereseted to see how Froome will ride unfettered. I prefer watching his style of riding to that of the TT expert limiting losses in the hills.
Henry Iddon - on 06 May 2013
In reply to Enty:

A spat with Cath is never to be recommended ! She's a great gal but pretty fierce - just like her Dad who's a great bloke but doesn't suffer fools.
Ricardo - on 06 May 2013
In reply to Enty: to me froome is the man. Much preferred him in the tour, perhaps I like the underdog. The way he towed Wiggins up 2 major stages last year was inspiritational as was his ride in Crete this April. Everyone seems to forget he lost a couple of mins in the tour last year due to crash and after that he was consistent all the way through. Top 10 in the final time trial, second overall, bronze in Olympics. No knighthoods for froomie.

I just hope he continues to perform well and go on to win the tour. And it would be great to see wig go return the favour by towing him up a few climbs on the way. Wouldn't another one two be great.

BTW there is a new noun - to have the froomes = to have good legs on the hills. Sounds better than wiggos doesn't it which just conjures images of sideburns.
Climbster - on 06 May 2013
In reply to Enty: Chris Whoome?
Henry Iddon - on 06 May 2013
In reply to Enty:

Froome is undoubtedly talented and incredibly single minded - he didn't grow up with the infrastrucure and support the Brad / G etc have had at BC. I seem to recall at the Worlds in 2006 when he rode for Kenya he bluffed his way in to both the race and then the managers meeting - as there was no manager for the Kenya team. So he's gone the longway round.

He's benefited being what the 'Daily Mail' would call a plastic Brit - but equally BC no doubt spotted his ability and knew his success would help bring Ł in funding. A win win for both parties.

I assume Sky paid him big money to stay - how long he does stay is another matter.

As for the girlfriend..... apparently she's a professional cycling photographer................
Climbster - on 06 May 2013
In reply to Henry Iddon: Yes, but what's he ever done on grit?
ClimberEd - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Enty:

Sky backing Froome as definite leader for the tour - mistake?
If I was Wiggins I'd be pretty pissed off, I'd expect to have first dibs if I fancied it. (maybe he doesn't)
Hugh Cottam - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Enty: I'm surprised nobody seems to have considered the possibility that this whole simmering tension in the team thing may have been sanctioned/orchestrated by Sky as it's making great news coverage a long time before the Tour even starts. It's hard to imagine the whole Sky PR machine not having quite a lot of control over this. It will clearly give a big boost to more general public interest in the Tour.
PeterM - on 07 May 2013
In reply to ClimberEd:

Yes that's how they should run the team on the old tried and tested dibs or bagsies method...
In reply to PeterM:

Don't be a pedant - you know what I mean. Ceteris paribus, Wiggins should get to defend if he wishes rather than Froome go for his first. The young pub needs to wait.
Henry Iddon - on 07 May 2013
In reply to ClimberEd:

I agree Brad should be able to defend his title - but I guess he had a choice - "Whats your main aim defend the TdF or make the Giro the main target?"

Obviously he can then go on and have a crack at the TdF - but Froome would need to set his own targets knowing he'd have support. With mountain stages up to the very end it does favour a climber, with a lot less time trials.

If Froome and Brad are 1st and second with a good gap to 3rd and below there maybe no team orders on the last couple of stages with Sky guaranteed a win but let the 2 of em scrap it out for podium places.

All that said Brad is 'box office' in the UK Froome is not. Expect lots more coverage of Froome in mainstream media as Sky try and build his profile up.
PeterM - on 07 May 2013
In reply to ClimberEd:

It was out and out sarcasm...that aside, this is quite a hole team sky have dug themselves. They said, as did wiggins, after the TdF last year they'd support Froome as he'd put in such a good performance. This seems to have been some post-coital high where they were all happy and huggy. It almost seems disrespectful for a champiion not to defend their title. From a team point of view a manager will put forward their best rider, which at the moment they think is Froome based on his recent performances. There is a chance that if wiggins plays a blinder during the Giro they may be forced to rethink their primary rider for the Tour.
IainAM on 07 May 2013
In reply to Henry Iddon:
> (In reply to ClimberEd)
>
> but I guess he had a choice

I wonder if he did. It might be disrespectful not to be able to defend but for Sky (or any team) it's winning the tour first, with whom second and Froome is it this year, (unless Wiggins pulls a blinder at the Giro.)

> All that said Brad is 'box office' in the UK Froome is not.

Absolutely

(In reply to ClimberEd)
SteveRi - on 07 May 2013
Sky are nothing if not shrewd, the noise was becoming a distraction so they've clarified things for now but they're not averse to having more than one plan in their back pocket.
Alun - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Ricardo:
> Top 10 in the final time trial, second overall, bronze in Olympics. No knighthoods for froomie.

There are no Knighthoods for a lot of people, but there are definitely none for top 10s, seconds, and bronzes.

Froome just about did his job at last year's tour, but he did it with a showboating which I didn't care for, and his wide-eyed innocence in post-race interviews made it worse - he didn't even have the bollocks to admit his posturing.

The only think preventing me from wishing him a puncture and a 5 minute loss in the first week is the prospect of seeing him go toe-to-toe with Bertie in the Alps - and hopefully giving the cheat a hiding.
PeterM - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Alun:

Showboating? Are you serious? I must've missed that stage...
JLS on 07 May 2013
In reply to Alun:

Yikes! He certainly seems to have rubbed you up the wrong way.
johncoxmysteriously - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Enty:

I've always thought he's spoken rather well in public and coped with a difficult situation as well as could be expected while fighting his corner. Girlfriend needs to go, obviously, as others have said.

jcm
Robyn Vacher - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Enty:

Well I for one will be cheering him on
balmybaldwin - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Enty:

I can't say I dislike the bloke, but I'm not sure I entirely trust him... I thought what he did last year at the tour was pretty poor, but I can't help but think hes got he fire power in the mountains to properly challenge the steak muncher, where as BW doesn't seem to have that acceleration (I stand ready to be corrected by his performance in the Giro).
In reply to PeterM:
> (In reply to Alun)
>
> Showboating? Are you serious? I must've missed that stage...

That would be stage 17 at TdF last year then...
nrhardy - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Enty: Don't mind the Froomester, myself and certainly more entertaining than watching Wiggo chug up hills on the back of the rest of his team's wheel, to minimise losses.

Find it interesting that people are chucking flak at Froome for various failings, but all talk of Wiggins fails to mention any of the bike chucking, dummy spitting antics that seem to happen all too often.

Pleased as the next man that he won last year, but his sulking and attempts to undermine Froome's leadership of the tour team aren't doing him any favours in my book.
PeterM - on 07 May 2013
In reply to ClimberEd:

Pretty sure I saw it, but don't recall any showboating. Maybe it's age-related memory loss...
IainAM on 07 May 2013
In reply to ClimberEd:
> (In reply to PeterM)
> [...]
>
> That would be stage 17 at TdF last year then...

Is that where froome (or wiggins) could have caught valverde and won the stage? Froome was trying to encourage wiggins to keep the pace up because he wouldn't leave him behind, except wiggins was so emotional he couldn't ride any more ... (as he said after the stage)
Not showboating, just desperate to take advantage of a chance.
Robert Durran - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Hugh Cottam:
> (In reply to Enty) I'm surprised nobody seems to have considered the possibility that this whole simmering tension in the team thing may have been sanctioned/orchestrated by Sky as it's making great news coverage a long time before the Tour even starts. It's hard to imagine the whole Sky PR machine not having quite a lot of control over this. It will clearly give a big boost to more general public interest in the Tour.

Well, just skimming this thread is certainly making this otherwise ignorant non-cycling climber think it might be worth vaguely following the TDF in the hope of some drama.
RBK - on 07 May 2013
In reply to SteveRi:
> Sky are nothing if not shrewd....

Sky are very good at a lot of things but PR is certainly not one of them. The total incompetence with which they've handled the Leinders fall out, the Armstrong mess, Cavendish leaving etc. has been frightening. I suspect this is just a continuation of that rather than some brilliantly calculated promotional move!
ti_pin_man - on 07 May 2013

Bradley is a steady climber, a la Indurain
Chris is more explosive, a la Pantini

The later is more interesting to watch on one hill. The former more interesting in the long run over a series of days.

Bradley is British through and through and has now won lots, hes a favourite amongst the British, a nice cheeky chap from oop norf. We all like him. Sir Brad.
Chris is sort of British, mostly British and we mostly like him. If he was the only GB rider with a chance we'd all be adopting him and inviting him around for tea.

Both undoubtedly have ego aplenty and who wouldnt, both want to be the best in the world and both could be. Brad is one step ahead but Chris is a young challenger and showing he could.

I like them both and the dynamics are going to make it interesting TV. I've seen enough tours to know that what is said before the race is one thing but the way things shape in the actual race can change the plan in a second. Bring on them both ! I just hope like in Formula one they dont fight each other so much they knock one or the other out.

Frank4short - on 07 May 2013
In reply to ti_pin_man:
>
> Bradley is a steady climber, a la Indurain
> Chris is more explosive, a la Pantini
>
> The later is more interesting to watch on one hill. The former more interesting in the long run over a series of days.

As a non Brit I can undoubtedly say nothing Brad did last year at the tour bar the act of winning itself was of any interest. Without any "in" to watch seeing someone with the best team playing the long game and winning isn't interesting for anyone other than the partisans. Fair play to Wiggin's he probably deserved it with the career he's had, that didn't make it interesting to watch though.

As to the OP's question. I've no particular feeling for or against Froome other than that he may possibly put a bit of spice in it that was sadly lacking last year. Though it's pretty apparent to me that plenty of people seem to be siding against him purely because he's only a sudo Brit in what is a very british team.
Darren Jackson - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Frank4short:
>
> ... he's only a sudo Brit in what is a very british team.

Pseudo... Linux geeks will appreciate your misspelling, though.

PeterM - on 07 May 2013
In reply to ti_pin_man:

and Uran is Colombian and Boasson Hagen is Norwegian. I can't see what nationality has to do with it other than the shitty press getting a hard-on over nothing. Wiggo's not only English but a mod too. Not that either has anything to do with his cycling
ads.ukclimbing.com
sleavesley on 07 May 2013
In reply to nrhardy: I agree with that.
Sir Chasm - on 07 May 2013
In reply to ti_pin_man: It's a bit harsh to compare him to Pantani, we all know where that explosivity came from.
Frank4short - on 07 May 2013
In reply to PeterM:
> (In reply to ti_pin_man)
>
> Wiggo's not only English but a mod too. Not that either has anything to do with his cycling

Except it means you'll cheer for him relentlessly even though from a sporting perspective he's the least interesting winner TdF has seen in bleedin ages.
PeterM - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Frank4short:
> (In reply to PeterM)
> [...]
>
> Except it means you'll cheer for him relentlessly

Only if he does something worth cheering...
Darren Jackson - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Frank4short:
>
> ... he's the least interesting winner TdF has seen in bleedin ages.

You prefer your winners doped, huh?
In reply to Frank4short:
> (In reply to PeterM)
> [...]
>
> Except it means you'll cheer for him relentlessly even though from a sporting perspective he's the least interesting winner TdF has seen in bleedin ages.

It was a pretty dull race, but I'm not sure you can blame brad for that... Contador was out due to doping, as was at least one Schleck, Ryder crashed out early IIRC, and Cuddles had a cold.

The others that did compete weren't really in the same league.
Chris the Tall - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Enty:
Can't but think that Froome making a big song and dance about who is the leader, and making sure everyone knows it's him, is a bit daft.

Is he going to wear No 1 ? No - Wiggins has that right
Is Wiggins going to have to fetch and carry bottles for him ? I wouldn't expect so, and I'm not sure Froome did that last year either.
So is he expecting that Wiggins will sit on the front of the group and set the tempo on climbs ? Not exactly his strong point, and I certainly can't see him doing it now.

Team Sky will be fully committed to the GC this year, no distractions with Cav, so they ought to say they are targetting another 1-2 and don't care about who is where. Their tactics aren't exactly a mystery by why let the other teams know every last details. If sky can keep both riders in every elite selection is makes it easier to cope with attacks.

All Froome needs to know is that if he is strong enough to ride away from Wiggins, he won't be called back
almost sane - on 07 May 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> Strange doings at the Giro today. Surely Uran shouldn't lose Wiggins at the finish like that with the result Wiggins loses 17 seconds? Or is this too small to bother about/the sort of thing which happens in races at the finish when it's pouring with rain?
>
I wonder when we will start hearing people saying that Rigoberto Uran should be Sky's leader in this year's Giro.

fwiw I would prefer to see Sky supporting Uran than supporting Froome...
Enty - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Darren Jackson:
> (In reply to Frank4short)
> [...]
>
> You prefer your winners doped, huh?

ha ha - well said.

E
Enty - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to Enty)
> Can't but think that Froome making a big song and dance about who is the leader, and making sure everyone knows it's him, is a bit daft.
>
> Is he going to wear No 1 ? No - Wiggins has that right
> Is Wiggins going to have to fetch and carry bottles for him ? I wouldn't expect so, and I'm not sure Froome did that last year either.
> So is he expecting that Wiggins will sit on the front of the group and set the tempo on climbs ? Not exactly his strong point, and I certainly can't see him doing it now.
>
> Team Sky will be fully committed to the GC this year, no distractions with Cav, so they ought to say they are targetting another 1-2 and don't care about who is where. Their tactics aren't exactly a mystery by why let the other teams know every last details. If sky can keep both riders in every elite selection is makes it easier to cope with attacks.
>
> All Froome needs to know is that if he is strong enough to ride away from Wiggins, he won't be called back

All this ^^ Good post.

E
Henry Iddon - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Enty:

What sucks the life out of Sky is Brailsford's analytical / strategic approach - 'the plan' ( he has no personality or charisma in my view )

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/may/07/team-sky-bradley-wiggins-chris-froome?CMP=twt_gu

I appreciate the reasons for it - modern sport needs planning and strategy etc etc - but all this repeated talk of 'the plan' / 'numbers' etc does suck the life and charm out of it. Maybe take that approach but don't go on about it.
Dave Kerr - on 07 May 2013
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> Strange doings at the Giro today.

How about keeping comments like that over on the Giro with spoilers thread?
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> Strange doings at the Giro today. Surely Uran shouldn't lose Wiggins at the finish like that with the result Wiggins loses 17 seconds? Or is this too small to bother about/the sort of thing which happens in races at the finish when it's pouring with rain?
>
> jcm

Thanks for that, been carefully avoiding the thread with spoilers in the title
johncoxmysteriously - on 07 May 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Good point; sorry. You might want to delete your post copying mine as well.

jcm
Kipper - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Alun:
>
> There are no Knighthoods for a lot of people...

Foreigners? Don't they get something else, and you can't call them Sir?
Minneconjou Sioux - on 08 May 2013
In reply to Kipper:
> (In reply to Alun)
> [...]
>
> Foreigners? Don't they get something else, and you can't call them Sir?

I thought Sir Bob Geldoff was Irish?

Anyway, wasn't Wiggo born in Holland and his father Australian (or something like that)? and he isn't from "Up Norf", he was brought up in London.
> (In reply to Kipper)
> [...]
>
> I thought Sir Bob Geldoff was Irish?
>
> Anyway, wasn't Wiggo born in Holland and his father Australian (or something like that)? and he isn't from "Up Norf", he was brought up in London.

Sorry, it was Ghent, Belgium. But not sure it makes him anymore "English" than Froome.
Kipper - on 08 May 2013
> (In reply to Kipper)
> [...]
>
> I thought Sir Bob Geldoff was Irish?
>
> Anyway, wasn't Wiggo born in Holland and his father Australian (or something like that)? and he isn't from "Up Norf", he was brought up in London.

Good points - although I don't think Geldof is a 'Sir' (other than in the popular press). Wiggins is probably a citizen. I don't know what Froome is.

The New NickB - on 08 May 2013
In reply to Kipper:
> (In reply to Minneconjou Sioux)
> [...]
>
> Good points - although I don't think Geldof is a 'Sir' (other than in the popular press). Wiggins is probably a citizen. I don't know what Froome is.

Bob Geldof has an honoury knighthood, not really supposed to call him 'Sir', not that it is relevant as legally Wiggins and Froome are both British.

Wiggins has a knighthood in recognition of service at 4 Olympics including 4 Golds and the TdF victory, anyone suggesting Froome should be miffed at not getting one at the same time needs to get a grip.
Calder - on 08 May 2013
In reply to Minneconjou Sioux: Wiggins does have a British mother.
ads.ukclimbing.com
The New NickB - on 08 May 2013
In reply to Calder:
> (In reply to Minneconjou Sioux) Wiggins does have a British mother.

He is basically a London council estate kid who chooses to make his home in the Republic of Lancashire.
GrahamD - on 08 May 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

Easy to overlook the fact that Wiggins is GBs most decorated olympian (in terms of total medals won). Add that to the TdF and if any sportsman had a shout for a gong, its Brad. Certainly a better call than Sir Clive for instance (although I think things have toughened up since then).
JLS on 08 May 2013

>"Republic of Lancashire"

Favourable tax regime?
a concerned citizen - on 08 May 2013
In reply to GrahamD:

> Easy to overlook the fact that Wiggins is GBs most decorated olympian (in terms of total medals won).

He's not, he's equal with Hoy on number (7) but Hoy (and Redgrave) have more golds.
GrahamD - on 08 May 2013
In reply to a concerned citizen:

Fair cop. Equal first.
a concerned citizen - on 08 May 2013
In reply to GrahamD: By numbers alone Hoy's 6/1/0 (G/S/B) beats his 4/1/2 (and probably third, in my book Redgrave's five golds at five games is harder/more impressive)
TomBaker - on 08 May 2013
You mean Sir Hoy and Sir Redgrave?
GrahamD - on 08 May 2013

The fact that (sir) Hoy has more golds I think has distracted many people to the fact that (sir) Wiggins actually has the same number of olympic medals. There seems to be a perception that (sir) Wiggins got the gong just for 2013 whereas its actually very significantly more than that.
altirando - on 08 May 2013
In reply to GrahamD: Still think Victoria should have got the damehood.
ClimberEd - on 08 May 2013
In reply to altirando:
> (In reply to GrahamD) Still think Victoria should have got the damehood.

For contributions to the nations water supply....?!
lb1dej - on 08 May 2013
In reply to the original question, Froome is a very fine cyclist.

When you've waited as long as I have have for a top class British rider in the grand tours you're grateful for anyone in the right colours! I'll be sorry if Wiggins does not get to defend his title but it promises to be an interesting contest between the two of them - shades of Hinault and Lemond back in the 80s perhaps.
Dave
Kipper - on 08 May 2013
> (In reply to Kipper)
> [...]
>
> Bob Geldof has an honoury knighthood, not really supposed to call him 'Sir', not that it is relevant as legally Wiggins and Froome are both British.
>

Yes; I see that Froome, although riding for Kenya, has a British passport and is probably a citizen. We can look forward to him being a 'Sir', unlike Geldof, once he's won a few things.
In reply to Kipper:
> (In reply to The New NickB)
> [...]
>
> Yes; I see that Froome, although riding for Kenya, has a British passport and is probably a citizen. We can look forward to him being a 'Sir', unlike Geldof, once he's won a few things.

Will that make his "bonkers" girlfriend a lady?
Kipper - on 08 May 2013
> (In reply to Kipper)
> [...]
>
> Will that make his "bonkers" girlfriend a lady?

I think it might, if they married :-)

nufkin - on 08 May 2013
In reply to Kipper:

> I think it might, if they married :-)

Not if the government continues on its current course, it won't. If you're not going to be able to claim your spouse's pension no way they'll let you piggyback their Honours. Bloody Tories got no respect for British tradition
Hat Dude on 09 May 2013
In reply to Kipper:
> (In reply to The New NickB)
> [...]
>
> We can look forward to him being a 'Sir', unlike Geldof, once he's won a few things.

"Arise Sir Grinch"
Alun - on 09 May 2013
In reply to PeterM:
> Pretty sure I saw it, but don't recall any showboating. Maybe it's age-related memory loss...

It was the Stage where he and Wiggins had shaken off Nibali and the others, they had pretty much sealed 1 and 2 in the tour, but only had the doper Valverde in front of them. Froome starts accelerating away from Wiggins, then slowing down to him, and gesticulating for them both to accelerate, then zooming away again. Wiggins knows this is unnecesary, so ignores him and pumps out his pre-decided Wattage like the robot he is. Froome gets more and more agitated, until eventually the team orders get through his skull and he slows down. He had made his point, but it was blatant posturing, and I didn't care for it.

I will be cheering for him (and Wiggins) in their battles against Contador though, especially as I wouldn't be surprised if the latter is probably pissing Testosterone as I type.
loopyone on 09 May 2013 - 02da9b08.bb.sky.com
In reply to Enty: even with Froome 'leading' the team I wouldn't bet against Wiggins winning it.
duncanandthemachine - on 18 May 2013
In reply to Kipper: Froomey lacks the history of winning Olympic gold medals to get a knighthood. If if he was to win a stackload of classics and Grandtours, I still don't think t hat road cycling has the profile in the UK yet for him to get a knighthood of the back of it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.