/ Garbh Corrie - camping / accomodation.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
nocker - on 06 May 2013
Considering a hike into Garbh Corrie and overnight wild camp. Would appreciate any information on local campsites or bunkhouses / huts, etc. Thanks in advance and especially to Mr Slugain Howf !
Aly - on 06 May 2013
In reply to nocker:
Well apart from the howff (which I won't tell you where it is!!) there is a lovely spot for camping near the stream at the path junction just below the col at 114 992.

If you have bikes they are quite useful on the approach from Keiloch, and if you are willing to push them up the steep bit past the ruin you can bike a fair bit further along the path.

If you decide to approach from Linn of Quoich there are good campsites 080 924, and also along the south side of the qouich water running towards Sluggain - it's a bit more of a walk into Garbh Coire though. I don't know what the Garbh Coire itself it like for camping.

Bunkhouses, YH and campsite in Braemar, and there is roadside 'wild' camping along the golf course road just south of Braemar as long as you don't start fires or leave crap everywhere. The other option would be to head in from Tomintoul, I'm not sure if the YH is still open but I'm sure there's a campsite somewhere.

Hope you enjoy it, if you're headed for Squareface(?) it's brilliant.
Slugain Howff - on 07 May 2013
In reply to nocker:
> Considering a hike into Garbh coire.

Don't consider just do.

S

nocker - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Slugain Howff: Aly / Slugain, thanks for the advice and I have made the wonderful journey before, including passed the ruin by bike. This time I am responsible for a club trip (small)and feel that a serviced campsite would be a useful jumping off / post expedition rendezvous.
pamph - on 07 May 2013
In reply to nocker:
> Considering a hike into Garbh Corrie and overnight wild camp. Would appreciate any information on local campsites or bunkhouses / huts, etc. Thanks in advance and especially to Mr Slugain Howf !

We cycled in from Tomintoul to the hut at 129061 and walked south into Choire Garbh with bivvy and climbing gear. There is a wonderful flat bivvy site at about 114014 which was high enough to be away from the midges and near enough to the crag. This was about 18 years ago, but I don't suppose much has changed! A truly fantastic weekend, doing Squareface, Mitre Ridge, and Slochd Wall. I hope you have a good a time as we did.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.