/ Insanity workout

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Traveller - on 06 May 2013
Has anyone done the Insanity workout? I'm keen to try it; while I'm not convinced that results are as claimed by 'Shaun T' I've heard good things about it. But before splashing out was interested if anyone has actually dine it and can comment on fitness gains/weight loss?
weakdave - on 06 May 2013
In reply to Traveller: I have done it. Lost about 3kgs in the first half of it and feel loads fitter. Core is a lot stronger which is a huge bonus for climbing!
In reply to weakdave: Thanks. Was it the 60 day one? I'm a bit confused as I thought it was an hour a day for 60 days; the one I'm looking at (amazon) says 60 days but the workout times vary and there only seem to be 10 separate workouts....don't want to buy the wrong thing!
Tyco - on 06 May 2013
In reply to Traveller: It's only 10 workouts but you mix them up in your schedule to make a 60 day workout, it explains how in some of the stuff you get with it. They do vary in lengths as well, so it's probably the right one.
Fluvial - on 06 May 2013
In reply to Traveller:

I can testify to the Rushfit one which works a treat you can buy all 6 DVD from eBay reviews seem to favour Rushfit over insanity, I am told
In reply to Fluvial: thanks all
HakanT on 06 May 2013
In reply to Traveller:

It's a good all around workout. You do a lot of jumping around, so if you have downstairs neighbours, they won't be pleased. The sessions are balanced and give you a good workout without destroying you. It sort of like the wasabi of workouts, very intense but it doesn't hurt for long.
cfer - on 10 May 2013
I am also doing this and finding it intense to say the least.

Quick queston though is it true that chocolate flavoured milk is a decent substitute for a protein drink, I dont stick withthe diet they advise but eat a healthy balanced diet anyway, just need a bit extra to get me through and would rather not pay for protein powder.

Thanks
Nick Harvey - on 10 May 2013
In reply to cfer: A mate and I finished this recently, and despite its over-american shouty ways, I have to say we were pretty blown away be its effectiveness. There is some stuff on my blog about it. It's seriously good for core strength. The problem comes after, trying to maintain that fitness. We now have Asylum, but I am not sure my knees are up to it yet (the only negative thing I would say about Insanity really is that it is hard on the knees).

C'mon y'all!
In reply to Nick Harvey: I lie - remembered another negative thing - Tanya. That woman is very annoying.
cfer - on 10 May 2013
My plan is to just keep doing month 2 after the 60 days as its just improving on your previous efforts, Asylum looks crazy but we shall see..
Loughan - on 10 May 2013
In reply to cfer:
> Quick queston though is it true that chocolate flavoured milk is a decent substitute for a protein drink, I dont stick withthe diet they advise but eat a healthy balanced diet anyway, just need a bit extra to get me through and would rather not pay for protein powder.

This guy is keen on it
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2008/03/milking-chocolate-cow.html

I started drinking the tesco stuff while training for triathlon and thought it did offer some recovery benefits for day in day out training. In terms of quantity a carton would last me a week. Not incredibly scientific but even if it was no better than a placebo I felt better for it so was happy.

In reply to cfer: My plan was to just cycle through all the workouts, but once the goal of gritting it out through the 60 days has passed, it's mighty difficult to motivate yourself!
James B - on 12 May 2013
In reply to Traveller:

I finished the 60 days before Easter. The programme is very effective in building cardio fitness fast and all-round muscle toning (not muscle bulking). The workouts major on cardio but there's a lot of muscle resistance training plus some speed and balance work. As others have said, core strength gains are pronounced.

Warming up and stretching are emphasised which is good in view of the intensity of the training. Actually we found the warm-ups themselves pretty hard to start with! I wouldn't recommend it to someone with a low fitness base. It would just hurt too much.

The programme is pretty motivational too. Shaun T does a good job in pushing you, and it helps that you see and feel results in just a few days.

When the 60 days were up I just restarted the programme. I'd wondered whether going back to month 1 routines would lead to a loss in fitness but it isn't working out that way: the form and fitness improvements just allow you to work harder. Like Nick I'm finding it a bit harder to get motivated second time round, though.
leeboy1985 - on 12 May 2013
In reply to Traveller: also p90x looks like the same type of workout

ads.ukclimbing.com
cfer - on 12 May 2013
In reply to leeboy1985: They do a P90x/Insanity Hybrid as the P90 uses some equipment I believe. I am really liking it so far, and Shaun T does motivate you well. Good to see the people dropping out for breaks also :-)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.