/ Specialized Allez or Triban 3?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tony the Blade on 07 May 2013

I have roughly 300 to spend on a road bike, never done it before so don't want to spend more in case I don't enjoy it.

So the question is... Do I go for a new Triban 3 (pretty good spec by the looks of it and some great reviews) or for a 2nd hand Spec Allez?

I work in London and live in Christchurch so have a pretty broad scope for sourcing 2nd hand.

Cheers in advance.
Mark Morris - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade: The red Triban 3's are becoming scarce, soon to be replaced by a white model "3a" which doesn't have the carbon forks, but will be 20 quid cheaper.

I bought a red one last year and thought it was great, soon got up to doing 65 mile circuits through the Brecon Beacons on it. I was going to change the stem on it (110mm on the bike as new) for a shorter one as I was "stretched out" a bit on it. I do wonder whether a size smaller would have suited me better, I'm 5'10" and bought a 57 (I think?). But the rest of the sizes seem to be right.

Kept me fit through a wet summer that didn't allow much climbing.

Haven't been on it since November unfortunately, due to a herniated disc in my back (not related to the cycling or climbing!)

You won't regret it if you get the red Triban 3, the newer one, whilst the frame is the same, is bound to feel different without carbon forks.
999thAndy on 07 May 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade: Test ride them both and see which you prefer?
In reply to Mark Morris:

Most helpful.

I'm also 5'10" so will bear your size comments in mind.

All the reviews I've seen have been positive - some even saying it's the best deal anywhere!

Thanks for taking the time to post.
In reply to 999thAndy:

Sound advice Andy - but I want it NOW! I have a free weekend coming so I can get playing!

Thanks for taking the time to post.
victim of mathematics - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade:

In the same position as you, after doing some research in February I came down to the same two options.

I went for the Triban 3 and I certainly don't regret it.
Chay - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade: I have a Triban 3 and frankly, it's brilliant value for money.

It rides very nicely, feels firm with the carbon forks and is relatively light. I don't have a problem with the group-set, some people don't like the thumb buttons that change down a gear, the brake levers change up and it's very smooth. 50/39/30 set works well at the front and gives you a nice easy ring if you're new to riding.

The only downside is the wheels, the hubs aren't great and will probably need to be replaced within a year or two; however, new wheels aren't too expensive.

Allez's are excellent entry level bikes and would be a good investment too; it all depends whether you'd rather have new and know what it's done or take a chance and buy second hand.

C

p.s I'm 5"10 and have the 57cm and it feels great.
In reply to victim of mathematics:

Great - I guess that's what I sort of wanted to hear.

Thanks for taking the time
In reply to Chay:

Brilliant - I think I'll go with the Triban.

I'd rather have new I think, plus it'll come with a warranty I assume, also I have a Decathlon card so will get a few bob back.

Thanks for taking the time to ppost

Oooo I'm getting excited now. Just checked my local Decathlon and they have loads in!
Chay - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade: You wont regret it.

Even better if you have a local store; you can try the different sizes and give 'em a spin. They should even help set it up for you.

As entry level road bikes go; it's about the best you can buy new.

Keep on top of the hubs and components; caring and cleaning etc and you've got yourself a good, value for money bike there.

C
In reply to Chay:

Fantastic - thank you
Blue Straggler - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Mark Morris:
> (In reply to Tony the Blade) The red Triban 3's are becoming scarce, soon to be replaced by a white model "3a" which doesn't have the carbon forks, but will be 20 quid cheaper.

Loads in the one near me too. Been considering it
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I can go to Surrey Quays after work and pick one of 57, or go to Southampton on an evening/weekend and pick up one of three.

I'm going to SQ's on Thursday or Friday!!!
Tony the Blade on 08 May 2013

Hang about... now this little beauty has popped up... http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/specialized-allez-sport-road-bike-with-receipt/1017804180

hat do I do? Please tell me!

Thanks
steve taylor - on 08 May 2013

Get the Specialized. I've got one and it's brilliant. That's a bargain if it's in decent mick.
Enty - on 08 May 2013
> (In reply to Tony the Blade)
>
> Hang about... now this little beauty has popped up... http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/specialized-allez-sport-road-bike-with-receipt/1017804180
>
> hat do I do? Please tell me!
>
> Thanks

Get the Spesh it looks mint. See you next year on the Ventoux ;-)

E
In reply to Enty:

Hahaha

I have to admit I'm very tempted. But do I want new or used?

The spec on the Spec does make for amazing reading at the price!
In reply to steve taylor:

Yeah - I've texted the owner to see if it's still for sale and can I go see it.
Enty - on 08 May 2013

If it's in as good nick as the pics suggest it's a much better deal than the Triban.

E
In reply to Enty:

Then if it's still available I should take it for a test drive.

Cheers
Enty - on 08 May 2013

See the outer gear cables from the shifters - you could probably remove 3 inches from each of them and get better shifting.

Make sure all the bearings are smooth - in the wheels and especially no play in the bottom bracket. Make sure the headset isn't crispy when you move the handlebars from side to side. These are only minor things and wouldn't put me off buying but if you need to have a look at any bearings he should knock you a few quid off.

E
In reply to Enty:
>
> See the outer gear cables from the shifters - you could probably remove 3 inches from each of them and get better shifting.
>
> Make sure all the bearings are smooth - in the wheels and especially no play in the bottom bracket. Make sure the headset isn't crispy when you move the handlebars from side to side. These are only minor things and wouldn't put me off buying but if you need to have a look at any bearings he should knock you a few quid off.
>
Top-tips mate, thanks. If it's still available tomorrow then I'll certainly carry out the checks you suggest.

Thanks

Nexonen on 08 May 2013

Just a polite word of caution about that one on gumtree - I saw the same pictures a few weeks ago (including that same receipt), think it was the same location but definitely a different name of the seller. I think I even texted the guy and he never replied. If it's going that cheap it would be snapped up in minutes if it's all ok, so just saying be a bit careful. Also you don't want to buy a bike that's been nicked!
In reply to Nexonen:
>
> Just a polite word of caution about that one on gumtree - I saw the same pictures a few weeks ago (including that same receipt), think it was the same location but definitely a different name of the seller. I think I even texted the guy and he never replied. If it's going that cheap it would be snapped up in minutes if it's all ok, so just saying be a bit careful. Also you don't want to buy a bike that's been nicked!

Hmmm - if that's the case then maybe he bought it and found something wrong with it when he got it home. He has replied to my texts though.

I'll probably go see it but keep an open mind.

Thanks for the info
In reply to Nexonen:

The bike has been taken off Gumtree - something not quite right there!

I emailed from a different account asking if the bike had been previously advertised, I got no reply.

It could be just that he's found a buyer... or something else entirely.

Thanks for your post Mexonen, stopped me in my tracks with good reason.

:-)
Cthulhu on 08 May 2013

I found this whilst browsing Gumtree - may be of interest? ;oP

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/trek-3700-with-80-cc-2-stroke-engine/1017537855
Tony the Blade on 09 May 2013
In reply to Cthulhu:

Haha - very funny!

Just seen this, the Spec Allez is getting cheaper! http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/specialized-allez-road-bike/1017923913
Moomin.williams on 09 May 2013
And looking at the photos you even get a free D lock, wonder if you get a key for the lock?!
In reply to Moomin.williams:
> And looking at the photos you even get a free D lock, wonder if you get a key for the lock?!

My thoughts as well!
Enty - on 09 May 2013

I phoned a guy on Gumtree about a new van - van looked great, he talked me through it's history - brill etc. I was going to fly over to Bristol to have a look at it then at the last minute I paid 5 quid to have it checked and it turned out it had come from Poland, was an ex write off and had finance on it WTF???

E
ads.ukclimbing.com
patrick_b - on 09 May 2013

I was in the same position late last year - saw a few dodgy-looking online 'bargain' Allezs in London so went for a new Triban 3 and have absolutely loved it. Great for the price, and Decathlon give you a free 6 month check up which is handy.
In reply to Enty:

WTF indeed! Well done for checking... these people work on the assumption that we are inherently trusting! Winkers!
In reply to patrick_b:

Exactly what I'm going to do.

Incidentally, when I buy it can I cycle it away or does it come in a box?
JLS on 09 May 2013

Cycle away. But you might need to give them some time to set it up and how long that takes will depend how bussy they are and the staff available... Could be be an hour might be a day.
patrick_b - on 09 May 2013
In reply to JLS:

They had a load lined up basically ready to take away when I bought mine. One of the bike staff just did a quick check-up (gears/brakes etc) then I was off, it took 10 mins or so.
In reply to patrick_b & JLS:

(JLS? I'm having a bike related chat with JLS... wait until I tell my son!)

Cheers you two... probs going in tomorrow. woohoo

oh btw I never heard back from the Allez seller! Funny that, not!
Tony the Blade on 10 May 2013

I'm now the proud Triban 3!

Thank you all very very much for the advice and comments. Your contributions helped me to make the choice.

Just need some sun in the New Forest this weekend now!
Mark Morris - on 10 May 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade: Now take the next logical step and get some shoes and clipless pedals. I'm sure they're called "clipless" but they clip in???? And join Strava straight away so you can measure your improvement.

It's a slope as slippery as climbing gear, helmet, lycra, glasses and the "rules" are written down and followed religiously.

Have fun,
Mark

What frame size did you go for and does the stem feel to long?
Tony the Blade on 10 May 2013
In reply to Mark Morris:

I went for the 57 as it felt most comfortable. It feels slightly long but I'm used to a Kona hybrid that is quite small by comparison. There's still room to slide the seat forward if it feels long after my first run out.

I already have a pair of Spuds and shoes so I'm looking forward to using them again.

I'm thinking of selling my climbing rack so that should help fund any gear fixation! :-)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.