/ Cycling Perth to Dunkeld to Crieff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Paul035 - on 07 May 2013
After a bit of advice:

Looking to cycle from Perth up through Pitcairngreen and Bankfoot to Dunkeld then join Old Military Road and down to Gilmerton and cut back to Perth by Tibbermore road.

Basically this: http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Perth_to_Crieff_and_Dunkeld_Circular-Cycle-Route-2473.html

I am a bit confused as to the route after Bankfoot at Dunkeld, as I would like to avoid the A9..

When the B867 joins the A9, route 77 seems to continue alongside the A9 is this correct?? It then looks like it goes under the A9 by the train station into Dunkeld and continues north.

However, I would like to join the A822 Old Military Road and down through the Sma' Glen, so how do I get onto this road without crossing the A9????

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated!
JLS on 07 May 2013
In reply to Paul035:

Google Earth shows the situation. Basical, at the southern point where you cross the A9, you'd be on a cycle path crossing the A9 perpendicularly, so by picking your moment you'd be safe enough. At the Northern crossing it looks a bit more dangerous in that you'd be on the A923 turning left on to the A9 for 100m or so. You wouldn't be riding on the main carriageway as there is a de-accelaration at this point so not exacltly death on a stick.
JLS on 07 May 2013
In reply to JLS:

I'll correct that... there an pedestrian underpass you could use at the Northern crossing.
Paul035 - on 07 May 2013
In reply to JLS:

That's great, thank you
Nobby Wright - on 09 May 2013
In reply to Paul035: There are two crossing points at Dunkeld, one next to train station and the other further north by river (Baan??)
AlasdairM on 09 May 2013
In reply to Paul035: The Sustrans 77 runs from Perth to Inverness, and at no point are you actually riding on the A9. I've ridden the whole thing over two separate rides, and I've also done the Sma' Glen ride but from Crieff to Aberfeldy. It was a hoot of a descent into Aberfeldy, so it's probably a pig of a climb. A really good place to ride though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.