/ Comes the Dervish on Saturday - A big thank you!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ianstevens - on 07 May 2013
Just wanted to take the opportunity (hopefully they/you read UKC) to thank the couple that helped me get down off the Dervish slab on Saturday after falling off (woops).

Just to let you know, it's not broken, just soft tissue damage.

Hope you managed to get Last Tango done, and I didn't put you off to much.

Thanks again.
Mark Collins - on 07 May 2013
In reply to ianstevens: Curious to know how you hurt yourself, thought this was a safe one up until now? Glad you're ok though.
johncoxmysteriously - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Mark Collins:

Falling off the bold start like everyone else presumably.

He hasnít really hurt himself, though. They usually donít; itís not that high and a reasonable landing.

jcm
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: oh ok cheers, never been on it myself but often thought about it. I'm sure hobbling along that rail gives food for thought.
Jonny2vests - on 07 May 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

I think your feet are around 6m up? Saw a guy land badly on his back, the micro he placed spun him before it popped. I've never managed to get the nutkey thing to work, apparently its bomber if you get one the right width. I hate that start.
Mike Highbury - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Jonny2vests:
> (In reply to johncoxmysteriously)
>
> I think your feet are around 6m up? Saw a guy land badly on his back, the micro he placed spun him before it popped. I've never managed to get the nutkey thing to work, apparently its bomber if you get one the right width. I hate that start.

Maimonides would have advised people to climb, without pause, to the excellent hold and gear at 6m or so.

The nut key, panic wires and other tomfoolery will result in you hobbling away and, worse still, blowing the on-sight.
In reply to Mike Highbury:
> (In reply to Jonny2vests)
> [...]
>
> Maimonides would have advised people to climb, without pause, to the excellent hold and gear at 6m or so.

I didn't realise he was a slate man.

> The nut key, panic wires and other tomfoolery will result in you hobbling away and, worse still, blowing the on-sight.

Or sometimes the opposite.
In reply to Jonny2vests: I didn't even realise he was a he.
Mike Highbury - on 07 May 2013
In reply to Mark Collins:
> (In reply to Jonny2vests) I didn't even realise he was a he.

Now, now boys. Let's not be quite so dismissive just because it's a well-protected slab.
In reply to Mike Highbury: No no, I quite see your point. Just never heard of this Maimonides fellow before. Thanks to the joys of the internet though, I was quickly able to resolve the situation enough to understand your meaning.
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: Yup, falling off the bold start. A bit silly really, especially as I have cruised that bit in the past. It's definitely not well protected before that first piece of actual gear! Any crud you get in before is worth nowt.

The rail track is no fun when you have to slide across it on your arse.
> (In reply to Mark Collins)
> [...]
>
> Now, now boys. Let's not be quite so dismissive just because it's a well-protected slab.

Erm.., pardon?
Kemics - on 07 May 2013
> (In reply to Jonny2vests)
> [...]
>
worse still, blowing the on-sight.

I think the on-sight is still good? If you fell and weight the gear, then it's gone. But as long as you don't weight the gear i.e deck out. Then the on-sight is preserved!

ads.ukclimbing.com
In reply to Kemics: I think getting on the climb with a rack on means that its gone, not that I really care.

Couple that with abbing down it after doing Last Tango before, and having already attempted it, it's definitely gone. I'm not exactly that psyched to get on it again anyway...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.