/ What new Helmet to get?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
cyberpunk - on 08 May 2013
As the title suggests. I was looking at the Petzl Sirrocco but have not seen any reviews so far. Anyone have one?
snoop6060 - on 08 May 2013
In reply to cyberpunk:

I tried one on at the weekend. It's by far the ugliest helmet I've ever seen. And it makes you look special.

The new BD ones are good. I have an older simple half dome and like it a lot.
GrahamD - on 08 May 2013
In reply to cyberpunk:

I think you need to try a few on. No matter what the reviews, if you think it makes you look like a dork you won't wear it and if its the wrong fit you won't wear it. Me ? I'm a fairly traditional Half Dome person.
robthered - on 08 May 2013
In reply to cyberpunk:

I've got the BD Vector. Really light (although not Sirocco light) and feels really comfortable on. They do an even lighter version with more venting but I forget what it's called. Oh - and they come in Special Forces black...
ianstevens - on 08 May 2013
In reply to cyberpunk: Whilst I don't own one, the lack of any kind of 'hard' shell really puts me off one - it feels like something sharp (i.e. an axe, peice of slate, throwing knife etc) would go straight through. I'm sure this isn't the case, but I like to feel reassured.

Personally, I have two helmets - a 'one hit wonder' for summer cragging and an utter tank for winter/alpine/choss where you are a) more likely to get hit on the head, and/or b) can't just walk off the the nearest shop if you do.

In terms of actual helmets, I have a Petzl Meteor 3+, and its awesome. Fits like a dream, weighs nothing, and does a damn good job of protecting your noggin. I should know, I "tested" one to destruction. Didn't hurt a bit, but without the helmet I would have been in dire straits. For the other stuff, I have an Ecrin Roc. Yes its heavy and you look like a clown, but its bombproof, and I know which I'd prefer. The Meteor is nicer to wear though, hence the double ownership.

Hope this helps!

JayPee630 - on 08 May 2013
In reply to ianstevens:

Just bought a Black Diamond Vector as well (in white with bright green bits though...) and it's far and away the lightest and most comfortable helmet I've ever tried on.

Did like the Petzl Sirocco and if they make one in white rather than bright orange I might be tempted.
ElBarto - on 08 May 2013
In reply to cyberpunk:
I don't have one but I tried it on in the Reading Climbing wall shop a few days ago and it is really light, the downside is that it seems to be twice as thick on top making your head massive! I could see me constantly banging it as I climb, do it enough with current helmet which is half the height on top.

It does feel really light though.
dutybooty - on 08 May 2013
In reply to cyberpunk: I love the grivel
Salamanders.

Relatively low profile.

Hardshell.

Pretty light. Just under 400g

Take a ton of abuse. After using mine for 4 years of abuse from alpine to dry tooling to sport to Scottish to cragging and finally aid, it's finally being retired. To a caving helmet cos its got plenty more life in it for that.

Finally, they do come in a huge range of colours, off the top of my head, white, blue, yellow, pink, red, green and black.
Skyfall - on 08 May 2013
In reply to dutybooty:

I have just retired a (yellow) Salamander which I loved. As you say, fairly low profile, fairly light weight, and a hard shell. Was fine for all manner of usage.

I've replaced it with one of the new Edelrid Shields (mk 2 I think). It possibly fits me slightly better and is a tad lighter but higher profile and not quite so bombproof. In hindsight, I actually think the Salamander looks better (you can see me modelling it on the front of the Trem guide).
Hannes on 08 May 2013
In reply to cyberpunk: I loved my Petzl Meteor 3+, at least until it rolled off the side of Crib Goch.

Great light helmet, surprisingly sturdy and feels like you are wearing a thin hat. Definitely gets my vote.

The Grivel Salamander is a nice helmet if you expect to take a bashing on the head, nowhere near as comfortable as the petzl but far more reassuring.
TRip - on 08 May 2013
In reply to Skyfall:
In hindsight, I actually think the Salamander looks better (you can see me modelling it on the front of the Trem guide).

I think you are either lying, mad or deluded. They're hideous looking helmets and the cover shot on the Tremadog guide is awful. It's not even a good shot of the Fang. What were the CC thinking when they put it on the cover?

Skyfall - on 08 May 2013
In reply to TRip:

> I think you are either lying, mad or deluded. They're hideous looking helmets and the cover shot on the Tremadog guide is awful. It's not even a good shot of the Fang. What were the CC thinking when they put it on the cover?

What a particularly nasty post.

Was it you that posted something like that and even did some blog entry along those lines when it came out? It comes across as more than a little spiteful towards the guidebook volunteers. From one of them I spoke to recently, I gather there was quite a debate at the time but it was felt that it showed typical climbing at Trem plus the café (plus they have tried to show a range of grades on the covers of the various N Wales guides). Which I agree with.
TRip - on 08 May 2013
In reply to Skyfall:
> (In reply to TRip)
>
> [...]
>
> What a particularly nasty post.
>
> Was it you that posted something like that and even did some blog entry along those lines when it came out?

That wasn't me I'm afraid.

I just think it is a rubbish photo. I don't think the photo really shows how good the climbing at Tremadog is. Consider the cover shots on the Pink Guide and the 1980 guide before it. They're a million times better. Even the cover shot of the 2000 guide (a guide that is best forgotten) is better!

I'm sure if you weren't on the cover you'd probably say the same.

And those yellow Grivel helmets are rubbish. I hate it when people can't admit something they own is poor.
goose299 - on 08 May 2013
In reply to cyberpunk:
another vote for the bd vector here. so light and comfortable i can barely tell i'm wearing it
Skyfall - on 08 May 2013
In reply to TRip:

Are you this unpleasant in real life? Having a bad day at work, got a migraine, p*ssed already? Surely there is some explanation? Read your words to yourself and think how across ie. a self opinionated and rather unpleasant child.

For the record, I do think it's very representative of the climbing at Trem if you think of the classic mid grade routes which are predominantly open slabby climbs and shows the trees and café etc. Yes, it's a shame they didn't find more of an 'action' shot but it is quite evocative of Trem - and I do say that trying to be quite objective. I have the previous guides and I genuinely didn't particularly think the cover shots on those were much cop so no idea where you're coming from on that front.

As to the helmet, I am not defending it because I own it. I've retired mine and, as I said, have replaced it with another which I don't rate quite as highly. The Salamanders are good hemlets and great value.
TRip - on 08 May 2013
In reply to Skyfall:
>
> I have the previous guides and I genuinely didn't particularly think the cover shots on those were much cop so no idea where you're coming from on that front.

It's just a snap, nothing more. It wouldn't be a bad photo inside the guidebook, but it is hardly front cover material.

How you think this: http://www.climbers-club.co.uk/images/gb_tremadog.jpg

Is a better photo than this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51MOhyJOJzL._SL500_.jpg

Or this: http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Tremadog-Climbing-Guide-to-North-Wales-by-Leigh-McGinley-1983-vgc-illustrated...

Is beyond me!

Other than that I think the guide is excellent and thoroughly enjoy using it. Next you are going tell me like the cover of the Pembroke Rockfax... ;-)

>
> As to the helmet, I am not defending it because I own it. I've retired mine and, as I said, have replaced it with another which I don't rate quite as highly. The Salamanders are good hemlets and great value.

I've only used one once. I borrowed it off a friend. I thought it was sweaty, heavy and uncomfy and could immediately see why he seldom wore his.
John Workman - on 08 May 2013
>
> Finally, they do come in a huge range of colours, off the top of my head, white, blue,.................

Very droll.

Carney - on 08 May 2013
In reply to cyberpunk: Just bought a Sirocco to replace my Meteor 3 and it is amazing. For sure the colour is not very flattering but it weighs 150g, is very stable on the head,and doesn't impede periferal vision at all. Feels like it weighs barely more than a beanie. In fact it fits so snug that wearing a beanie under it might be a problem.
adam11 - on 08 May 2013
I don't own that particular copy of the Trem guide, but is that 'Sqawk' (Ian Dunn) or that Atkinson fella on that iconic route?
lithos on 08 May 2013
In reply to adam11:

basher i think
The Ex-Engineer - on 08 May 2013
In reply to Skyfall:
> What a particularly nasty post.

I didn't think so. It seemed perfectly reasonable to me.

I had a load of Grivel helmets in an equipment store I was responsible for and my considered opinions was (and still is) that they are pretty crap and fairly unattractive.

As such, I am 100% with TRip as regards his comments about people's views on the Grivel helmet. I am completely staggered that anyone, let alone 3 people on one thread, would seriously recommend them over other alternatives.
victim of mathematics - on 08 May 2013
In reply to TRip:

> I think you are either lying, mad or deluded. They're hideous looking helmets and the cover shot on the Tremadog guide is awful. It's not even a good shot of the Fang. What were the CC thinking when they put it on the cover?

It could have been worse, they could have used the photo of The Plum that somehow made it onto p173. How you can make such a photogenic line look that mince, I do not know.
dutybooty - on 08 May 2013
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:
>
> I had a load of Grivel helmets in an equipment store I was responsible for and my considered opinions was (and still is) that they are pretty crap and fairly unattractive.
>

Any particular reason you thought this?

Not arguing, just getting different opinions.
Skyfall - on 09 May 2013
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

> on the Grivel helmet. I am completely staggered that anyone, let alone 3 people on one thread, would seriously recommend them over other alternatives.

How about they are fairly light for a hard shell helmet, very robust and cheap (about £20 cheaper than the Shield 2 for example).

Having said mine was retired, I have just stuck mine in my luggage for a sports climbing trip abroad. I know it will take the airport abuse (even in the hold) whereas I don't totally trust the foam helmets.

I also don't find it badly ventilated and my other half (who is quite critical) says she far prefers the looks of the Salamander to many others including her own (BD half dome).

At £45-50 (?) that's not bad.

I appreciate this should be a practical decision and, for me, the Salamander fits really well. The Meteor doesn't fit me at all. The Mammut El Cap also seemed really good actually.

Try TobyA's gear review. http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=4905

The Shield comes out really well but, after a few months use, I still rate the Salamander a little more highly.
Skyfall - on 09 May 2013
In reply to TRip:
> It's just a snap, nothing more. It wouldn't be a bad photo inside the guidebook, but it is hardly front cover material.
>
> How you think this: http://www.climbers-club.co.uk/images/gb_tremadog.jpg
>
> Is a better photo than this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51MOhyJOJzL._SL500_.jpg
>
> Or this: http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Tremadog-Climbing-Guide-to-North-Wales-by-Leigh-McGinley-1983-vgc-illustrated...
>
> Is beyond me!

Actually, I do genuinely think it is a better photo (and I am a v keen photographer). Yes, those are more dynamic (as I said) but that doesn't make it a better photo. Also, which of those is more evocative of Tremadog? You would clearly say the two you linked but I completely disagree.

I accept we disagree. What I object to is your outright self-opionated rudeness. But hey, this is UKC.
Nigel Thomson - on 09 May 2013
In reply to Skyfall: Be proud. The bottom line is you appear on the front of a very popular guidebook and yer man's obviously a wee bit jealous.
I also thought there was no need for a post like that, he sounds like the biggest helmet on UKC!
CurlyStevo - on 10 May 2013
In reply to Skyfall: im on my second salamanda helmet now the only critisism i really have is they could be better ventailated. For this reason i tried a lot of other lids on when replacing my last one but for one reason or another they didnt match up.
TRip - on 10 May 2013
In reply to the weegy:
> (In reply to Skyfall) Be proud. The bottom line is you appear on the front of a very popular guidebook and yer man's obviously a wee bit jealous.

Nope. Not in anyway jealous. Just disappointed that cover shot of the guidebook to my favorite crag is poor.

I'm also slightly amused that the poster gets upset about my opinionated post when he posts stuff like this to a guy who has had his gear nicked: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=547030&v=1#x7314337

And the comment on this photo: http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=219304 Which is a million times better than the Tremadog cover photo.

BTW I'm not some weird stalker with an axe to grind. I just stumbled upon them whilst clicking around on UKC yesterday.

Nigel Thomson - on 10 May 2013
In reply to TRip:
> (In reply to the weegy)
> [...]
>
BTW I'm not some weird stalker with an axe to grind.

Of course you're not sweetheart. x

Simon Caldwell - on 10 May 2013
In reply to cyberpunk:
Go for anything that feels comfortable, ie fits properly. Everybody's head is a different shape.

Personally I have something very old so I can't remember what type it is, for summer use. And a Salamander for winter use (it's a perfect fit when wearing a balaclava).
ads.ukclimbing.com
CurlyStevo - on 10 May 2013
In reply to Toreador:
"Everybody's head is a different shape"

That's the key isn't it! Most lids sit very high on my head or twist about easily, whilst the salamander doesn't The salamander also offers better side and rear impact protection when compared with other similar helmets (foam interior and hard exterior). I'm pretty hard wearing on stuff and I think I'd trash a meteor (or similar) in no time
Skyfall - on 10 May 2013
In reply to TRip:

You really are a tw*t aren't you.

My comment on the photo was actually pretty complimentary - just saying it was well composed but out of focus and hence didn't merit a full 5, 'only' a 4. Shock horror !

The other comment was perhaps a little insensitive but not rude and I did give the OP my sympathies.

"No axe to grind" and "just stumbled upon them" ..right..... lol.

How old are you Tom? because you still need to grow up a little.
TRip - on 10 May 2013
In reply to Skyfall:
> (In reply to TRip)
>
> You really are a tw*t aren't you.
>
>
>
> How old are you Tom? because you still need to grow up a little.

Can anyone else see the irony of a 48 year old man swearing at a complete stranger on the internet and then telling him to grow up.

Stop taking yourself too seriously. All I did was disagree with an opinion of yours and criticize a poor photograph.

Love and cuddles
Baron Weasel - on 10 May 2013

> In terms of actual helmets, I have a Petzl Meteor 3+, and its awesome.
> Hope this helps!

wot e sed

BW

Skyfall - on 11 May 2013
In reply to TRip:

> Can anyone else see the irony of a 48 year old man swearing at a complete stranger on the internet and then telling him to grow up.

Um, what has my age got to do with anything? You seem strangely obsessed with my posting history and profile. We're debating your general nastiness. Which continues.

> All I did was disagree with an opinion of yours and criticize a poor photograph.

We all have opinions - most of us don't state them as fact, be v rude in the process, and make spiteful comments at volunteer guidebook contributors.

> Love and cuddles

Aw, does that make you a really nice person? :) (see, I am too)
Skyfall - on 11 May 2013
ps: having returned the favour and looked at your profile, I see you write a rather extensive and full of yourself blog and are a member of the CC (no surprise there given the arrogance you display). Considering your very forceful opinions on all matter climbing related, have you really only led E2 onsight (my absolute punter level limit)? Maybe that's out of date...
OwenM - on 11 May 2013
In reply to cyberpunk: Anyone use a Wild Country 360 I've read good things about them but none of the shops locally sell them so I haven't been able to try one on?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.