/ Information request on getting to Smiths Rocks - oregon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
johnjanuary on 08 May 2013
Can anyone help with any travel information on getting to Smiths Rocks USA please? Best airport,(Portland?), hire-cars, accommodation, any first hand experience would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you.
Ged Desforges - on 08 May 2013
In reply to johnjanuary: Fly to Portland, or even better to Redmond. easy drive from either to the camping. It's one of the few places in the States that is doable wiuthout a car. You can get a bus to Terrebonne, and then hitch up to the park easily. Once there, you dont need a car other than to get down to town for food every few days Again, hitching is easy. All climbing is within walking distance of the campground.

Great place, we spent 2 weeks there. Get your fingers strong, take tight, technical shoes, and lots of climb on!
seankenny - on 08 May 2013
In reply to johnjanuary:

Ged is right, you can easily get by without a car there. The campsite is lovely and the climbing excellent. There is also a bassalt area which has lots of trad climbs, I didn't go there but it's supposed to be good.
johnjanuary on 09 May 2013
In reply to Ged Desforges:
Thanks Ged - most helpful. best wishes John
johnjanuary on 09 May 2013
In reply to seankenny: Thanks but I think I will definitely be looking for a car of some kind as I would like to see as much of the area as possible. Thanks for the info. best wishes - John
freesolo on 10 May 2013
In reply to johnjanuary:

if you hire a car in portland, the drive is about 2 hours but, you should see some things on the way (the river, mt hood etc...)
camping and showers near the crag. recommend a good sleeping pad, ground is rocky! great crack climbing in the gorge!!! town is close, getting lifts is moderately easy. great mexican breakkie!! new, upscale climbing shop for whatever you need. Metolius factory nearby.
johnjanuary on 15 May 2013
In reply to freesolo: Thanks for the info - best wishes John
Andy Kassyk - on 16 May 2013
In reply to johnjanuary:

If you have a car, you can stay at Skull Hollow. This campsite is free as it is on BLM land whereas you have to pay at the Smith Rocks campground. It's about 10 minutes away by car. You are more likely to bump into a keg party there than at Smith.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.