/ The nesting season

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bpmclimb - on 09 May 2013
Some crags have restrictions between specific dates, while others have no formal ban but climbers are asked to stay away during "the nesting season". I realise that the exact dates must vary according to crag/weather/species, but it must be possible to approximate them.

For example, when does "the nesting season" begin and end for Cornish sea cliffs?
el diablo - on 09 May 2013
In reply to bpmclimb: Maybe just a wee bit of common sense is needed. While I'm here there's a pair of blue tits nesting on Forbidden Colours at Limekilns. Jd
The Pylon King on 09 May 2013
In reply to bpmclimb:

what about Jackdaws?
In reply to el diablo:
> (In reply to bpmclimb) Maybe just a wee bit of common sense is needed.

I'm all for exercising that common sense when you're at the crag and can see for yourself what's going on. It's nice, though, to have a rough idea in advance so that you're less likely to waste the travel and walk-in.
MattJP - on 09 May 2013
In reply to bpmclimb:

The BMC normally list restricted crags, check out for your area or places you wish to climb!
In reply to MattJP:
> (In reply to bpmclimb)
>
> The BMC normally list restricted crags, check out for your area or places you wish to climb!

Yes but some crags are not officially restricted but may still have birds nesting there - Jackdaws for example.
In reply to MattJP:

Thanks for the advice, but actually I'm already a very regular checker of the BMC access database. My post was specifically about crags which have no formal restriction, just a reference to "the nesting season" in the guidebook - these don't tend to get listed in the RAD.
In reply to The Pylon King:
> (In reply to bpmclimb)
>
> what about Jackdaws?

Just done a bit of Googling. Approximately April-July. Laying typically happens early to mid April, eggs hatch after approx 3 weeks, then a further month or so until the nestlings fledge, at which point you start seeing the juveniles. I assume the nest is vacated very soon after that. Perhaps a climbing twitcher will be along to tell us if that's correct.
MattJP - on 09 May 2013
In reply to bpmclimb:
> (In reply to The Pylon King)
> [...]
>
> Just done a bit of Googling. Approximately April-July. Laying typically happens early to mid April, eggs hatch after approx 3 weeks, then a further month or so until the nestlings fledge, at which point you start seeing the juveniles. I assume the nest is vacated very soon after that. Perhaps a climbing twitcher will be along to tell us if that's correct.

Yup thats pretty much it. There are some exceptions though, like Ravens, they nest very early from Jan/Feb onwards!

The season is a little late this year due to the long lasting cold weather.

MattJP - on 09 May 2013
> (In reply to MattJP)
> [...]
>
> Yes but some crags are not officially restricted but may still have birds nesting there - Jackdaws for example.

Jackdaws make fine eating!

In reply to MattJP:
> (In reply to The Pylon King)
> [...]
>
> Jackdaws make fine eating!

as good as Rook?
MattJP - on 10 May 2013
> (In reply to MattJP)
> [...]
>
> as good as Rook?

Better to be honest. Smaller bird so matures that bit quicker.

ring ouzel on 10 May 2013
In reply to bpmclimb: Up here in the Highlands everything has been delayed by 4-5 weeks. We have goshawks at several sites and exclusion zones around them are normally until the middle of August, this year I can see that stretching into September. In Cornwall most resident birds will be well into the breeding season by now and the later migrants (such as swift) will be just be setting up. Figure a month to hatch eggs and a month to fledge young and the season should be all over by end of July for most birds.
ads.ukclimbing.com
bpmclimb - on 10 May 2013
In reply to ring ouzel:

Yes, birds of prey generally seem to take a bit longer. Mid August seems too be the usual end date for kestrels - although for the Avon Gorge peregrines the date is mid-July (local info) or end of June (RAD).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.