/ Ankle supporting boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
stroppygob - on 09 May 2013
Advice please? For years now my ankles have been a problem, they "pop-out" at the least convenient times. Unfortunately the only option available is an operation, one which would leave me little better off, skint, and at higher risk of arthritis.

I'm in the market for new hiking boots, my old ones being down to the linings.

Can anyone recommend a good boot, ones with a high degree of ankle support?
Climbing Pieman on 09 May 2013
In reply to stroppygob: I use Scarpa SLs as my preference. I have weak and injury prone ankles having extensively damaged ligaments in both in the past and find them fully supportive and protective if I lace the upper part tight. If you like fabric instead of leather, Mammut do a very high ankle boots that I've heard is supportive - monolith is the model.
stroppygob - on 10 May 2013
In reply to Climbing Pieman: Many thanks my friend, I'll look into them.
Gordonbp - on 10 May 2013
In reply to Climbing Pieman:
> (In reply to stroppygob) I use Scarpa SLs as my preference. I have weak and injury prone ankles having extensively damaged ligaments in both in the past

I have broken both my ankles in the past and I subscribe to the view that fully supportive boots actually don't help. They don't allow the ankle to grow strong and heal properly. I know of someone of some scientific repute who climbs munros in sandals precisely for that reason. Yes he turns his ankle occasionally but generally it's far less painful and far quicker to heal compared with turning an ankle in high boots - the leverage is much smaller.
Climbing Pieman on 10 May 2013
In reply to Gordonbp: Your comments are noted thanks, but with my ankles I have to totally disagree with you. One rule does not fit all I can assure you. Its too late for my ankles and I commented purely to try and put into some context for the OP as it seems he also does need supportive footwear. I have never to my knowledge done damage to ankles whilst wearing SLs which has been my default boot of choice for hillwalking since 1986, but extensive damage wearing other footwear.
I will stick with what works for me, but I appreciate your comments, and they will be useful to others to note.
stroppygob - on 11 May 2013
In reply to Climbing Pieman:
I agree with pieman.

I tore all the ligemnts in both ankles, several totally, as well breaking both ankles in an incident when I was 9 years old.

I recetly smashed both knees in a motobike smash too.

I cannot be without protection.
Julian Prieto - on 11 May 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

I have had weak ankles in the past (mostly from sprains due to playing basketball), but I've managed to strengthen them quite a bit now. My recommendation would be to wear ankle supports which from my experience will protect your ankles much better than boots will. I have used Bauerfeind Malleoloc ankle braces for hill walking and mountaineering as well as basketball; in fact I used them once for an Alpine trip a few weeks after a minor ankle sprain. Fortunately I no longer need to wear them since my ankles are stronger.

I have actually found that I am more likely to turn an ankle wearing boots rather than approach shoes. I think this is down to boots being more clunky and your feet get less feedback from the terrain.
Climbing Pieman on 11 May 2013
In reply to Julian Prieto:
> (In reply to stroppygob)
> My recommendation would be to wear ankle supports which from my experience will protect your ankles much better than boots will. I have used Bauerfeind Malleoloc ankle braces for hill walking and mountaineering as well as basketball;
Interesting to note thanks. I'll have a look as they may help me for sports stuff. Don't think they would do hillwalking as my left ankle swells with hillwalking and I find a tight boot minimises this thus delaying stiffness and allows me to continue for longer, and speeds up recovery.
> I have actually found that I am more likely to turn an ankle wearing boots rather than approach shoes. I think this is down to boots being more clunky and your feet get less feedback from the terrain.
I'm the opposite for some reason!

stroppygob - on 12 May 2013
In reply to Julian Prieto: Those Bauerfeind Malleoloc ankle braces look the ticket, I'll look into them. They are not cheap are they?
Dan_S - on 13 May 2013
In reply to Julian Prieto:
How did you find the brace inside boots?

I've used a number of braces in the past (McDavid 195 and Aircast A60) and never found them particularly comfortable, and usually ended up rubbing somewhere. Although "lightweight" their bulk only just fits inside my walking/mountaineering boots.

Looking at the Malleoloc, it looks slightly bulkier....

I'm booked in for an ankle arthroscopy soon to look at the possibility of full ligament reconstruction, and post operation, I want to be getting out and about ASAP.
Julian Prieto - on 13 May 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
No, not cheap!
Julian Prieto - on 13 May 2013
In reply to Dan_S:
I found them to be alright in boots. Of course not as comfy as without. I wore one for a 1.5 week Alpine trip which included climbing the Matterhorn Hornli ridge and walking back down to Zermatt the same day...of course both my feet were shot at the end of that but I don't remember any particular problems with the brace.

What I did was wear a liner sock under the brace and thicker sock over. You can wear the brace next to the skin but I prefer to have something in between (when playing basketball I wore a neoprene support underneath).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.