/ South France Sport Destinations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
samwillo - on 12 May 2013
Going to a bit of south of France tour this summer. Have previously been to Ceuse, Orpierre so looking for new hot spots.

Ideally, would like destinations with cheap campsites within walking distance of the crag. (Have a car but paranoid about break ins, have had a lot of bad experiences in France). Looking for limestone sport from F7a and above with sectors in the shade! Any suggestions?

Have got my eye on Gorge du Loup, and St Leger. Anyone know what the camping options are there?
john arran - on 12 May 2013
In reply to samwillo:

Plenty of campsites here in Ariège, from popular family sites with pools to quieter spots.
A car definitely helps get the most out of the area but you'll rarely be driving more than about 15 minutes to a crag, usually less, and break-ins are virtually unknown around here.
Plenty of grade 7 and 8 shady routes to go at too, on about 10 or so different nearby crags, including one (Globetrotter, 7b at Alliat-Livre) described by our current guests a few days ago as "a 10-star route"!
In reply to john arran: Sounds great! Another area to add to the wishlist.

Should have mentioned though that I'm heading to Italy later in the trip so would prefer destinations a bit more SE to cut down on big driving.
john arran - on 12 May 2013
In reply to samwillo:
Fair enough. We drove to Italy last week and it took about 6 hours to get to the border near Nice, so not quick.
Morgan Woods - on 12 May 2013
In reply to samwillo:

I you have enough time you could easily combine a trip to Tarn/Jonte and Loup and should be able to find enough shade options. I never worried too much about my car but tended not to park it full of gear. I hear Calanques is bad for that sort of thing.
Scott_vzr on 12 May 2013
In reply to samwillo: The Gorges de Loup is quite hot, bit of a cauldron. And the Campsites are very expensive.

Scott_vzr on 12 May 2013
In reply to Scott_vzr: Looks sick, wheres that? Also does anyone know a cheap campsite around Gorge du Loup? Looks pricy so far..
andyinglis - on 13 May 2013
In reply to samwillo: grande wall at la turbie, above monaco, also big ben sector at same location. Both in shade virtually all day due to steepness and high summer sun.
jtpj777 - on 13 May 2013
In reply to samwillo:

Chateauvert? V. cheap municipal campsite but a bit of a walk to crag.
jenniwat001 on 14 May 2013
In reply to samwillo:

Saffres? Might be a bit far though.
Mike Owen - on 18 May 2013
In reply to samwillo: Hi samwillo, I live in the gorges du loup and would recommend it as a great summer venue. There are plenty of routes in the shade and there is always plenty of wind. Deverse in the morning and Jurassic Park/Cayenne or Mesa Verde in the afternoon. There are lots of other secteurs I've put on UKC. Campsites are expensive, but similar to elsewhere in southern France. If you're in a camper van there is a perfect place up at Gourdon, overlooking the gorges. Car break-ins seem to affect tourists as opposed to climbers; haven't heard of any climbers having any problems in 14 years here (though there's always the risk anywhere...). It is a beautiful area, Mesa Verde and Jurassic were dry last weekend, though Deverse was still very wet, due to a lots of rain over the past 3 months. It is raining very heavily today, but it should be fine by July. Have a great trip, get in touch.
Ian Fidd - on 22 May 2013
In reply to jtpj777: I don't suppose you or Mike know the actually name of the campsite in Chateauvert? We are heading out there mid-August, so I am guessing we would need to book in advance.

Thanks
ads.ukclimbing.com
Ian Fidd - on 22 May 2013
*actual

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.