ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - HVS 6b...

ERH - on 19 May 2013
I was happily perusing my yorkshire grit guide (as I often do on a slow day) when reading the graded list, the grade HVS 6a jumped out at me.

V crack at Almscliff gets HVS 6a, as does Lightning Variation at Ash Head. The 6a for V crack is for the very starting move, but the one for Lightning Variation is the finishing move alternative to a VS 4c. It seems pretty odd that it keeps HVS! **on UKC it gets HVS 5c**

This got me wondering, and yes, there are several HVS 6b's including: Deja Buoux (Rouge Nez, Jersey), Forced Entry (Brimham Rocks), Baslow Eagle Stone Mantle (Baslow Edge), Baslow Eagle Stone Mantle(Scugdale),Dynamo (Park Nab, Kildale) among many others I'm sure.

Finally, I decided to go for the long shot, and search "HVS 6c" only to find that Farytale High at Scugdale has a big brother, Farytale Low (which has the highest technical grade on the crag. Harder than that paltry E6 6b)

Of course, checking it out I find that all the voters had voted it as a VS 7a, which just means that 6 other people have found it before and felt like trolling people.

I'm not going to pass judgement (tho I bitterly want to), I am just wondering what the rest of you think of this rather odd grade. Anyone tried any of those on my list? Got any of your own?
... not showing 16 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums