/ Climbers campsites for Northumberland?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
slim - on 21 May 2013
Hi guys
We are hoping to climb in Northumberland for the bank holiday... But don't know where any decent climber friendly (read a farmers field type) campsites are...

Ideally we are looking at the wooler area but can only find info on sites like highburn house campsite this seems a bit posh! There must be more that google isn't throwing up!

Cheers for any recommendations
JDal - on 21 May 2013
In reply to slim: There isn't anything like that in the N of the county that I know of. At one time you could camp at one of the pubs in Lowick.
spenser - on 21 May 2013
In reply to slim: Try wooler youth hostel, I've camped there a couple of times for DoE expeditions, the bloke who runs it certainly used to be quite friendly as well. Otherwise you could try the farm in the Mounthooly valley, you'll have to find the right part of the field to pitch in but I've also stayed there before.
John W - on 22 May 2013
In reply to slim:

Try The Old Mill Caravan Site im West Kyloe (just east of Lowick on the way to Kyloe). The website says they take tents by special arrangement.

HTH, JW
slim - on 22 May 2013
In reply to slim:
Thanks for the tips so far..

Not had any joy at the yha's

Will try the other recommendations... Not driving 4hrs on the off chance though!
martinph78 on 22 May 2013
In reply to slim: Think that the BMC clean-up weekend used this campsite:

http://www.winshields.co.uk/

Walking distance to Peel and Crag Lough, probably only 30-50mins drive from most of the other crags in Northumberland.

Failing that there are loads around Berwick and Bamburgh

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/results.asp?county=Northumberland
JDal - on 22 May 2013
In reply to Martin1978: It's good hour and a half from Belford.

Actually, thinking about it, Desmene Farm in Bellingham may fit the bill. Half an hour from Simonsides carparks and Crag Lough and close to Wanneys/East Woodburn/Callerhues.
martinph78 on 22 May 2013
In reply to JDal: Didn't realise it had to be close to Belford.
JDal - on 22 May 2013
In reply to Martin1978:
> (In reply to JDal) Didn't realise it had to be close to Belford.

He did say Wooler area, and I think any visitor would assume that "most of the other crags in Northumberland" would include some of the crags around the Belford area.

Just making sure Slim didn't end up somewhere he didn't really want to be.
graeme jackson - on 22 May 2013
In reply to slim:
> Hi guys
> Ideally we are looking at the wooler area but can only find info on sites like highburn house campsite this seems a bit posh!

Just spent a damp weekend at highburn house - it's a very good site and not what I'd call posh - there isn't a social club for a start - also, it's within a 5 minute walk of at least 4 pubs on wooler high street.
JDal - on 22 May 2013
In reply to graeme jackson:

I've heard it's good, good location as well, within striking distance of Simonside to Berryhill. Is Wooler still like a frontier town?
ads.ukclimbing.com
graeme jackson - on 23 May 2013
In reply to JDal:
> Is Wooler still like a frontier town?

kind of. we spent friday night touring the pubs before settling on one to eat in and it felt a bit like west lothian with groups of 'shouty' slightly drunk guys wandering around. Not much else for them to do there but drink I guess. Hasn't stopped me wanting to move back to God's own county since I moved to Scotland 15 years ago.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.