/ Best driver behaviour towards cyclists that you've seen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tim Chappell - on 22 May 2013
With all the negative stuff around, it's important to point out, I think, that most drivers are no trouble to cyclists, and some drivers go out of their way to act well towards cyclists.

What's been your best interaction with a driver? Here's mine: I turned out of a side road onto a dual-carriageway with two kids on my bike's two child-seats. There was a serious hole in the road which I didn't spot in time, and my bike went over. So two children, an adult, and a bike were sprawled on the floor in the left-hand lane. The driver bearing down on us (in a brown Volvo, as I recall) saw what had happened, got his hazard-lights on, and stopped his car at an angle so that nothing else could hit us in the left-hand lane, and so that anything coming through in the right-hand lane would have to slow down to get round the nose of his car. Brilliant piece of driving. Thanks to him wherever he is today...
999thAndy on 22 May 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell:
Plod overtook me in an exemplary manner last night, on my way home from the wall. Then following his example WVM didn't T-bone me at the next set of lights (my right of way)
In reply to 999thAndy:

Oh, and another: this was just the other day. I had a puncture in a wild Welsh lane in the middle of nowhere. I was only out for a little jaunt so I didn't have repair kit with me--but it was still 6 miles back to base. So I started walking. And a Welsh farmer with a sheep-trailer not only stopped unrequested to pick me up, he went out of his way to drop me back where I was staying. What a nice man.
woolsack - on 22 May 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: The benefits of wearing a sheepskin
andrew549 on 22 May 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: Mine is I was going to work one morning and hit a pothole whilst changing gear on the downtube shifters at the time I was also looking at the shifters as it wasn't shifting properly and crashed and slid down the rode for a bit, the car following me a blue people carrier and the one going the other way a green land rover both stopped and then gave me a lift into work about 6 miles away. Which meant that I was on time for work.
tim000 - on 22 May 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: last year i was riding up a very steep hill in the peak dist. half way up a white van pulled along side and slowed down. i prepared myself for the abuse. instead the driver offered me a lift to the top of the hill :-)
jfw - on 22 May 2013
In reply to andrew549:

Queuing drivers who see you filtering in their mirror (inside or out) and pull over to make it easier.

a lakeland climber on 22 May 2013

Had a truck pull up behind me on a long steady hill, he possibly could have got past when he first got to me but waited for a break in the traffic before doing so. Loss of momentum for trucks is nearly as bad as for bikes. I was impressed enough that I noted the firm's name and rang them to say thanks.

ALC
Dave Perry - on 22 May 2013
When I was much younger I was going flat out going down a steep long hill here and was badly cut up whilst overtaking a car, which later stopped to turn right at the bottom of the hill. Seizing my chance I caught up with it and banged the roof with my hand calling them all the names under the sun.

Then I looked at the driver. Big mistake ---- for inside was Liam who was the local night-club bouncer. I'd seen him in action many times and knew I'd made a suicidal error. He could easily hold two or three men off whilst knocking another into submission!. I prepared myself to receive the good beating that was coming, when he simply wound the window down, shrugged his shoulders and said; "Sorry" to me, and drove off.

Non the less I stayed well away from the night club he worked in for many weeks.
Guy - on 22 May 2013
In reply to tim000: I would have taken offense! I mean do I look like I need help getting up this hill? OK don't answer that.

Had a car pull alongside me 100m from the top of Riber and proceed to cheer and encourage me on to the top - slightly embarrassing.

Too many encounters with nice drivers to pick one out but to all those that have let me out or stopped on hills to allow me to keep pedalling, thank you!
Enty - on 22 May 2013

We regularly get sticky bottles from random car passengers.

E
dissonance - on 22 May 2013

> What a nice man.

i had similar on commute to work. WVM pulled up and gave me a lift to the office after I found out whilst i did have the spare innertubes unfortunately they were the ones for the mountain bike and not my hybrid.
paulcarey - on 22 May 2013
In reply to Enty:
What's a sticky bottle? Or am I missing something very obvious?
MikeTS - on 22 May 2013
In reply to paulcarey:

In Copenhagen I was at a difficult 5 way junction. A large bus stopped and waited for me to sort out where I was going
Enty - on 22 May 2013
In reply to paulcarey:

In a pro bike race riders get drinks bottles handed to them from their team cars.
The riders hold on to the bottle for a few seconds to get a breather.
In hot weather on the climbs round here random people in cars will do it. Great fun.

E
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to paulcarey)

> In a pro bike race riders get drinks bottles handed to them from their team cars.
> The riders hold on to the bottle for a few seconds to get a breather.
> In hot weather on the climbs round here random people in cars will do it. Great fun.
>
> E

hold onto the bottle - I'd hold the car instead.
In reply to Enty: I did a training camp in Majorca years ago. I got blown off the back. Cycling on my own a van with a farmer in it pulled alongside and gestured for me to hold the door whilst he drove. I thought that was nice but he stank of booze.
Nevis-the-cat - on 22 May 2013

To go against the grain, I always found black cab drivers ok when I rode in London - I think it's because we had a mutual hatred of Addison Lee and minicab drivers.

For balance, I increasingly find that people will back off if there is not enough room to over take and are generally more laid back - it must be the Wiggo effect.

I always acknowledge a courtesy. I know someone on here once told me in doing so it was like thanking someone for not punching you in the face, but I think it is more like it is with kids and dogs - you recognise good behaviour :)

paulcarey - on 22 May 2013
In reply to Enty:

aaah, I see. My first thought was something like cola bottle sweets that had been in a warm car for too long!
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:

I've never had *any* problem with black cab drivers. One day recently I was just passing Euston and one half-pulled off the rank, right into my path, then saw me coming and rather skilfully backed back into the rank, with an apologetic wave and a smile. I pulled up alongside his window, grinned at him and said "Well spotted". He grinned back and said "Yeah, I'll nail you next time though". We almost went out for a beer together :-)
Just a bhoy - on 22 May 2013

Took me a while to get use to the people not racing past me as I'm positioning for a right hand turn.
Nutkey on 22 May 2013
In reply to Nevis-the-cat:
> (In reply to Tim Chappell)
>
> To go against the grain, I always found black cab drivers ok when I rode in London - I think it's because we had a mutual hatred of Addison Lee and minicab drivers.

Had a black cab spot me in his mirror, and swing left to allow me to filter up the middle. I nearly fell off in surprise - this would never happen in Cambridge!

Addison Lee - I give them almost as much space as cement trucks...
Steve John B - on 22 May 2013
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to Tim Chappell)
>
> We regularly get sticky bottles from random car passengers.
>
> E

If that's a euphemism I don't want to know... ;-)
Rigid Raider - on 22 May 2013

Recently riding over the fells on a busy, fast turnpike road (the Haslingden Grane/Elton road for those who know Lancashire) I had to turn right at a pub and was dreading the turn; was planning to get off and cross on foot but luckily the traffic slowed for a right-turning car so I joined the queue and when I got to the front, to my relief a Volvo driver coming the other way motioned me across. A small act of kindness but it had been the only part of the ride to Manchester that was worrying me.
In reply to Rigid Raider:

I know the very turn. You took the back road to Turton, right? Good decision....
Neil Williams - on 22 May 2013
In reply to Nutkey:

The trouble with black cabs is that while they signify a high standard of training/driving in London generally, in other towns they tend just to signify a minicab driver who's bought a nicer vehicle and signed up for a licence.

Neil
Fredt on 22 May 2013
In reply to tim000:
> (In reply to Tim Chappell) last year i was riding up a very steep hill in the peak dist. half way up a white van pulled along side and slowed down. i prepared myself for the abuse. instead the driver offered me a lift to the top of the hill :-)

I've posted this before, but...

As I neared the top of Lodge Lane, which climbs up from Rivelin, a guy in a white van was coming the other way. As I approached, (very slowly), he stopped.

He wound down his window.

He leaned out...

... and applauded, shouting 'Good effort mate!"

adsheff - on 22 May 2013
If I'm in the car and passing a cyclist, if I think the road isn't wide enough for people to be passing, I'll stay behind the cyclist until the road widens.
In reply to adsheff:

Yes, I shield cyclists too when appropriate.

Of course you realise you've set me off now--the whole thread is just an elaborate excuse for me to bang on about how nice I am to cyclists when I'm in a car.
bigdelboy - on 22 May 2013
In reply to Neil Williams: After getting knocked off my bike on my commute many years ago and my bike getting run over and all bent out of shape a friendly WVM took me to my work ( 8 miles away ). God knows what id have done if he hadn't. I was in shock and trying to get back on my bike to cycle. Trouble was the wheel was bent nearly 90 degrees! I would have loved to have seen myself trying to cycle it!
ads.ukclimbing.com
Uluru on 22 May 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: This morning a bus driver very kindly stopped to let me turn right across the traffic to get into a cycle lane. This saved me from having a council van, which was coming at speed behind me, from potentially hitting me as the road was very narrow.
Irk the Purist - on 22 May 2013

I was once flying down a hill on my bmx, on the pavement, at probably close to 15 mph, legs going round like the pistons in an steam engine. As I approached the entrance to an industrial complex I had to make a decision... to brake and look both ways or speed up and pray, knowing that a bit of good fortune would have me beat my record for one lap of the block, my brother poised with his casio watch back at home.

I chose the latter.

A car came out.

I hit it. Hard. I flew over the the bonnet and bloodied my knees. My front wheel and handlebars were turned 90 degrees and one or two of my spokies had been broken. There was a significant dent in the front wing of the car.

He got out, brushed me down, looked at the dent and looked at me. In two strides he'd picked me up, dusted me down and pointed my wheel forwards again. He said "I won't tell if you don't. But make sure you slow down next time."

I still do. What a nice man. I guess childhood memories aren't what you were after.
Liam M - on 22 May 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: After H got taken off her bike on the way into work last year (someone turned straight through her), the following van picked her and her bike up and dropped her home before going about their business. When returning past they called in to check she was alright, and if she needed anything. I never found out who the company they worked for was, but I would have liked to have thanked them.
nufkin - on 22 May 2013
Can't think of anything particularly notable at the mo, but I'm often pleasantly surprised when cars in queues move away from the lane markings when I'm riding between them.

We should have one of these threads more often - feels like it balances all the anger in the normal 'car hate' ones
doug5_10 - on 22 May 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: Had one whilst out today. Going up a steady incline on a really long RH bend that you can never quite see far enough to overtake. Road was wide enough for guy behind to just nip past but sat behind me for ages until it straightened out and passed me fully in the opposite lane :o)
mike parr - on 22 May 2013
In reply to doug5_10:
I have a patch on the way into work where the road had a puddle right the way across in heavy rain. Porsche coming the other way stopped to avoid splashing me.
Mikkel - on 22 May 2013

All the cars who on a daily basis leave me plenty of room when overtaking, those who stay behind me for half a mile until its safe (for them and me) to overtake.
The ones who always stops and wave me out on some of the stupid junctions i have to cross.

Luckily these are the majority of drivers.
Trevers - on 22 May 2013

On my old mountain bike, huffing and puffing my way up a steep country lane, chain came off while I was out of the saddle, flipping me off the thing and sending the teeth of the gear cog scraping through my shin while buckling the rear wheel. A nice lady saw me getting up again and pulled up and gave me a lift to the nearest pub so I could phone home. Even offered to take my bike too, although it wouldn't fit, so I had to chuck it over a hedge and return for it later.

Honourable mention for the drivers who wait until it's safe then give you a friendly wave as they pass
biped - on 22 May 2013
In reply to MikeTS:
> (In reply to paulcarey)
>
> In Copenhagen I was at a difficult 5 way junction. A large bus stopped and waited for me to sort out where I was going

Similar. Us two on heavily laden touring bikes trying to figure out how to get from an awkward spot on the pavement onto a busy roundabout in rush hour Millau. Big dumper truck stops and blocks all the traffic, driver gets out and chaperones us on to the road while holding back further traffic. Smiles and waves all round.

Enty, yep had the sticky bottle treatment, wondered wtf was happening at first.

Tim Chappell - on 23 May 2013
In reply to nufkin:
>
> We should have one of these threads more often - feels like it balances all the anger in the normal 'car hate' ones

Absolutely. Let's have some gratuitous positivity on UKC for a change. Share the lurve, people :-)
Toby S - on 23 May 2013

Last year I was cycling on a 50 mile circuit from Inverness through Farr, over the hill to Garbole and then back via Tomatin. It was the middle of June and the weather was foul, sleet, hailstones, driving rain and wind. It had been a balmy 15 degrees in the Sneck so I figured I'd be fine in a lightweight jacket on top of my shorts and t-shirt. It was grim, I got to Tomatin a shivering mess. A local farmer took pity on me and drove me home in his pickup. alarmingly he had a shotgun in the passenger seat and an excitable rottie in the back! Lovely bloke though and I owe him a few pints.
Nath93 - on 23 May 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: I stopped to let a guy pull out and right at a cross roads and he went round the corner without waving. "Wanker" I thought, but to my surprise he stopped 20 yards down the road, opened his door and apologised for cutting me up. I was so amazed that I just said "Don't worry about it mate, its fine !" and he drove off. I was pretty amazed as I had never seen a driver stop and apologise to a cyclist for cutting them up and it had certainly never happened to me before !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.