/ Cuillin ridge summer conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
JuneBob on 22 May 2013
I'd like to try this this week with lightweight summer gear, ie 5.10 tennies/ camp 4s.
Anyone have some info on what it's like?
I heard there's still some snow up there.

Thanks.
JuneBob on 22 May 2013
In reply to JuneBob:
Anyone?
Cameron94 on 22 May 2013
In reply to JuneBob: Hi I've been out on the hills since Monday.

If you're heading for the middle section of ridge you should be fine in that gear but Coire a Bhasteir still has significant quantities of snow. The Inn Pinn, Sgurr Mhic Choinnich and the bottom half of the great stone shoot were clear today.

Nic DW - on 22 May 2013
In reply to JuneBob:

Did the Blaven ridge in camp 4s, beach shorts and no top in glorius sunshine on sunday. As the last poster said though, the North facing side of Am Basteir was still covered in (probably very soft) snow.
Cameron94 on 22 May 2013
In reply to Nic DW:
> (In reply to JuneBob)
>
> As the last poster said though, the North facing side of Am Basteir was still covered in (probably very soft) snow.

It had a soft surface layer of a couple of inches but it's still quite firm underneath and areas of ice still remain in smaller patches.

A drop in temperature would firm up the snow but I've not had a look at the forecast.

It's still worth taking an axe and a decent pair of boots if you're heading up the Coire.
ads.ukclimbing.com
JuneBob on 26 May 2013
In reply to JuneBob:
It snowed further on Thursday, so we decided to leave it as we were hoping to do a light and fast traverse. I went home Sunday. Did some great climbing instead on Sron na Ciche and Neist.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.