/ changing from a compact to standard?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mark s - on 22 May 2013
I'm far too big to ever concentrate on climbs but love downhills and long flats.I can just about peddle at 37/38 mph with a compact.
I want to change it.what would be involved? Its an fsa with 110 centres.would the front mech need moving up or chain changing?
Thanks
andrew549 on 22 May 2013
In reply to mark s: Cheapset way would probably be just to change your chainrings depending on what you have at the moment, 53/29 seems popular or the traditional 52/42 which I've used quite a lot and like the small gap between the two chainrings. With a 110 bcd the larger the chainring the more flex may be expected the other way of doing it would be to get a new crank set which would be more expensive.

If you increase the size of the large chainring the front mech may need moving up bit but probably not that much.
a lakeland climber on 22 May 2013
In reply to andrew549:

I think you mean 53/39 :-)

ALC
andrew549 on 22 May 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: Yeah thats what I meant.
Radioactiveman - on 22 May 2013
In reply to mark s:

peddle faster ? I also ride a compact and on the 50 tooth and 12 on the back I have been unable to spin out on fast descents at speeds of 40-45 mph

It may be worth trying to increase your pedalling rate (cadence) before changing the big ring
andrew549 on 22 May 2013
In reply to mark s: What cassette are you running at the moment as it may be worth going to one with a 11 tooth as that would have a bigger effect than changing the chainrings.
tlr - on 22 May 2013
In reply to mark s:

What's the smallest cog at the back on your cassette? 50-11 is a bigger gear than 53-12, much cheaper to change cassette than chain set.

But yes, you'd have to move front mech up and probably lengthen chain to accommodate a standard chain set.
mark s - on 22 May 2013
In reply to tlr: 50/13 its a bike from france and think its geared for long climbs.front brake is on the left.took a bit of getting used to that
mark s - on 22 May 2013
In reply to mark s: just looked on a ratio calculator and putting an 11 on the back would be better.

thanks for responses
mark s - on 22 May 2013
In reply to Radioactiveman:
> (In reply to mark s)
>
> peddle faster ? I also ride a compact and on the 50 tooth and 12 on the back I have been unable to spin out on fast descents at speeds of 40-45 mph
>
>
> It may be worth trying to increase your pedalling rate (cadence) before changing the big ring

40-45 ? that is a steady descent :-)
Fraser on 22 May 2013
In reply to mark s:

> 40-45 ? that is a steady descent :-)

'fall' to you and me!

Radioactiveman - on 22 May 2013
In reply to mark s: never said anything about steady :)

just to spin out is quite hardwork on a compact.
Hat Dude on 22 May 2013
In reply to mark s:

You might find this gear calculator interesting

http://www.machars.net/1-bikecalc.htm

ads.ukclimbing.com
Chris Harris - on 22 May 2013
In reply to mark s:
> I can just about peddle at 37/38 mph.

Slow down, you might sell more.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.