/ Langdale NT campsite prices question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tall Clare - on 22 May 2013
Hello all,

I've not stayed at the Langdale NT site in a couple of years, and this evening, whilst checking their website to find out whether dogs were allowed, I also looked at the prices.

They say £12.50 for a small tent plus one person at high season, £5.50 for an additional person, £1.50 for the dog (it'll be coming out of her pocket money), but then it also mentions a £5 booking fee - is that in addition to all the above?
xplorer on 22 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Yes, is it for this weekend. If not i wouldn't bother booking. Just turn up
MFB - on 22 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
Hi Claire - it's in addition to the above- it's £5 per booking
As xplore says
there is an option to arrive without making a booking
Booking is a really good idea at busy times
If you ring campsite direct on 015394 37668 they will advise

Best regards
john kelly
Tall Clare - on 22 May 2013
In reply to MFB:

Thanks - they have a two night minimum booking at the moment so we'll be staying elsewhere this time as we're just up for one night. I've mostly stayed there in winter in recent years so booking hasn't been an issue.
Jon Ratcliffe - on 23 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: It's not the site it used to be...well it is except it's even more expensive (imagine the cost of taking a family camping there) and there's an awful and invasive barrier system in place now, or should I say, out of place, so if you turn up after hours like many of us do after a long drive and you haven't booked then you ain't getting in.
Rant over.
MFB - on 23 May 2013
Hi Jon

Between Easter and mid Sept, the reception is open until 7pm Sat to Thursday evening and until 9pm on Friday evening to suit most of our customers.

For campers that have booked and can't make those times we leave out a welcome pack with site map etc

Provided the 'campsite full' sign has not been displayed
Campers that haven't booked can park up in the new arrivals car park and walk 100m to the 'first come first served' area and put up their tent,
Pop in the shop to pay in am

barrier is taken down in mid sept until easter

Cheers
john kelly
langdale campsite
winhill - on 23 May 2013
In reply to Jon Ratcliffe:
> (In reply to Tall Clare) It's not the site it used to be...well it is except it's even more expensive (imagine the cost of taking a family camping there)

£40 a night!

The New NickB - on 23 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

I used to use the Langdale NT site a lot, year round, but I turned up for a couple of nights on my own with the dog in June, a couple of years ago, paid about twice what I expected to pay. They can of course charge what they like, but given that it is basically a second rate site in a great location, I decided to go elsewhere in future. Been good in a way, it has made me visit a few new places.

Not camped in Langdale since, but as it happens I am going for a few days next week, but going to try Baysbrown Farm at Chapel Stile. The cost for two adults, child and dog is the same as it cost me and the dog at the NT site.

Has anyone been in the Sticklebarn since the NT took over, I had a weekend at the New DG Hotel in January and the Sticklebarn looked closed.
Billy the fish - on 23 May 2013
In reply to winhill:
> (In reply to Jon Ratcliffe)
> [...]
>
> £40 a night!

:(
I first started camping there over 25 years ago at a time when it was cheap and simply serviced. Itís advantages were that it was open all year and had a couple of decent pubs close by for the long winterís nights. Me and my girlfriend/wife-to-be spent most weekends in the Lakes, many of them in Langdale so we had a real affinity for the place, taking our children there as they grew up too.

Sadly, weíve not been back in the last few years, we can easily afford the fees but refuse to tarnish a trip by feeling ripped-off. We donít even get a NT memberís discount for the parking; so much for the ethos of opening up these National Treasures to the public.

Itís symptomatic of the Lakes as a whole; last time we camped cost us £27 for a family of four in a small base-camp sized dome tent mid winter. Last hotel cost over £200 per night for a pretty underwhelming double room; £100 on bar meals for four, etc. The area is living on its past reputation and we see representatives from the tourist industry lamenting the downturn in customers, blaming the influence of the Olympics and any other scapegoat instead of honest introspection.

Iím fortunate, having Northumberland and Scotland close by and see them as a much more attractive proposition.
peas65 - on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Go to baysbrown. The showers etc are nice and hot, its not far away and still close to the pub. Much cheaper and people are friendly.
oliverk - on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

I'll second those suggesting Bays Brown, it's friendly and well located.

Hardly ever camp at National trust, because it's not much cheaper than a bunkhouse/hostel and feels a bit unwelcoming for climbers in my opinion.
toad - on 24 May 2013
In reply to oliverk:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
>

>
> Hardly ever camp at National trust, because it's not much cheaper than a bunkhouse/hostel and feels a bit unwelcoming for climbers in my opinion.

This^ really. Presumably because there's much more opportunity for upselling other NT products to a nice static family group than a couple of people who will spend most of the day on the fell.

TRip - on 24 May 2013
In reply to MFB:
> Hi Claire - it's in addition to the above- it's £5 per booking
> As xplore says
> there is an option to arrive without making a booking
> Booking is a really good idea at busy times
> If you ring campsite direct on 015394 37668 they will advise
>
> Best regards
> john kelly

That is a really moronic way of pricing things. But I wouldn't expect anything else from the National Trust.
Tall Clare - on 24 May 2013
In reply to oliverk:

I think we'll be going for Baysbrown this time. I've never really been a fan because the one time I stayed there (a good few years ago) it seemed overrun with huge noisy groups, but I'm happy to try it again.

I have a soft spot for NT Langdale because I first camped there over thirty years ago and whatever else anyone says about it, it *is* in a beautiful location.
toad - on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to oliverk)
>
>
> I have a soft spot for NT Langdale because I first camped there over thirty years ago

This too- most of my formative Lakes camping was either here or at Wasdale. It breaks my heart to think others won't have that experience because of that idiotic (over) pricing structure
rossh - on 24 May 2013

The NT sites only make any sort of financial sense if you are planning on climbing near to the campsite and are therefore getting the benefit of the free car parking in the daytime as well. Otherwise it's rip off city with a load of rules thrown in as well. Everytime I go to the Wasdale one I always seem to overhear a conversation in the shop about how they are going to have to have a word with person X or Y because their dog barked a couple of times or they had the temerity to have a few drinks and crack a few jokes of an evening. They're worse than some of the old SYHA wardens you used to get in the old days.
The New NickB - on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to oliverk)
>
> I think we'll be going for Baysbrown this time. I've never really been a fan because the one time I stayed there (a good few years ago) it seemed overrun with huge noisy groups, but I'm happy to try it again.
>
The Internet suggests large groups and noise are no longer tolerated, I hope that is the case.

duchessofmalfi - on 24 May 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

Yep £5 extra to book - looney, can you imaging booking a restaurant and having to pay an extra 30% for the honour of booking?

The NT really should be involved in positive demand management for this area - this booking fee is both anti-demand management but also discriminates against those that aren't well off and aren't using a car (eg solo walker coming off the hills).

Complain to the NT - they just entered some looney business plan and have got stuck in it and are reluctant to admit they screwed up.
rj_townsend on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: Funnily enough, I was looking at this campsite yesterday, and I too was quite shocked at a £5 Internet booking fee. Thanks for starting this thread - I think I'll use one of the other campsites that have been mentioned!
Neil Williams - on 24 May 2013
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

"Yep £5 extra to book - looney, can you imaging booking a restaurant and having to pay an extra 30% for the honour of booking?"

Cinemas used to do this as well. My local one at least seems to have realised that offering a discount for bookings is a better way to go, because if someone books in advance there's always the chance they don't turn up, and it reduces the need for staff selling tickets.

Neil
ads.ukclimbing.com
willworkforfoodjnr - on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: I can only agree with all of the above. I often go on multi-day trips alone, and the NT Langdale used to be a standard stop. These days I just lug my bag up into the hills after an evening in the pub - not ideal with a few pints in you, but better than not being able to afford the pints!
Carolyn - on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Yup, me too - looked at their prices for Low Wray on Windermere, and decided there was no way we could justify going down to join friends there when we could do it as a day trip. Fortunately the kids seem to have accepted wild camping (and not the definition in the NT list of things to do before you're 11 3/4....) is the way to go ;-)
CathS - on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
In the good old days before this ridiculous and grossly over-priced booking system, the NTís campsites in Langdale and Wasdale were among my favourites in the Lakes, but Iíve written them off now.

The pricing structure penalises single occupancy of a tent, but favours 2 - 4 in a tent (ie. couples and families). If you were on your own in a tent it works out about £15 per night!

Furthermore, the rules donít let groups of more than 4 adults stay at the site. So itís effectively all geared towards couples and family groups.
I had hoped they would relax this rule when I tried booking the Wasdale site for my mountaineering club a couple of years ago, where we typically have 10-15 (well-behaved) adults. It did say on their website that they would allow organised groups, but when I emailed them they made it clear that this was only scout or army groups, with a formal leader, risk assessments and god knows what else.

They were basically saying that climbing and mountaineering clubs canít use their sites. Unfortunately there are very few other options in Wasdale Ė one of Englandís best mountaineering locations. The NT clearly has no interest in promoting enjoyment of the fells by one of the main user groups.

They also advised that pre-booking (with the £5 fee per person, not per overall booking) was essential to stay at Wasdale Ė if you just turned up you were very unlikely to get in.

Regarding Baysbrown. Itís a very good site in a great location. The owner is now quite strict about groups, and patrols the site on his quad bike to make sure no-one is being too rowdy Ė which I personally welcome. Iíve always found him to be firm but fair and they were quite happy for our club to book to stay there by prior arrangement.
toad - on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: I guess the problem is that the prebooking and "campsite full" signs show the NT don't need to care about their former and year round users, because they now make their money from a different demographic, and these people aren't being deterred by booking fees and high prices.

It's a very sad situation, but I can't see anyone being in a position to change this - certainly the people we members get to vote for don't seem to be likely to see the inside of a tent anytime soon, unless it's a big white marquee with petit-fours and prosecco.
TRip - on 24 May 2013
What do the National Trust do other than over pay their directors and over charge tourists?

Are they deserving of their charitable status?

They don't behave like one.
toad - on 24 May 2013
In reply to TRip: I am reluctant to criticise the NT across the board, as they have done (and still do) some excellent work protecting the uplands and coasts which we get to access for free!

But... there is some rather greedy short term wringing out of the cash cows that goes on in the marketing department. And that is frankly less than honourable
In reply to CathS:

Good post. The £5 booking charge per person in a group is outrageous!

I must admit, last time I stayed at NT Langdale in summer it was heading in a 'now now Seth and Jocasta, stop throwing rocks at other people's tents, the grumpy people might tell you off and oppress your development' direction. Great that more people are enjoying the great outdoors, but when it's at the expense of the more regular userbase (some of whom choose to camp because it makes holidays affordable) that's very frustrating. At risk of sounding like the world's crabbiest person, why can't they all just f*ck off to Tuscany for the summer like they used to do before daddy lost his job in advertising? I blame CoolCamping! Hrrmph!
In reply to CathS:

I also hadn't realised that a group was more than four adults - we're supposed to be meeting up with a couple of other couples, as one set are over from abroad and it's a great chance to catch up in a place where we've all spent a lot of time. The median age of the group is forty so (in theory) how much trouble are we likely to cause?

I know there used to be all sorts of trouble at the Langdale site from drunken nutcases, but I think there's a balance to be struck that involves, as you and Toad say, supporting what is arguably the most committed year round user base.
hokkyokusei - on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
>
> I must admit, last time I stayed at NT Langdale in summer it was heading in a 'now now Seth and Jocasta, stop throwing rocks at other people's tents, the grumpy people might tell you off and oppress your development' direction. Great that more people are enjoying the great outdoors, but when it's at the expense of the more regular userbase (some of whom choose to camp because it makes holidays affordable) that's very frustrating. At risk of sounding like the world's crabbiest person, why can't they all just f*ck off to Tuscany for the summer like they used to do before daddy lost his job in advertising? I blame CoolCamping! Hrrmph!

Top rant. :)
xplorer on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

I'm surprised by all the negative comments to be honest. I've stayed there loads of times, always found it to be relatively standard pricing. Good facilities, clean and tidy. What more can you want?

CathS - on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

You'll need to check their website, but I'm pretty sure that this is what the rule was. No groups of adults.

I have wondered about going 'under-cover' as a group (ie. pretending not to know each other) but decided this would just be too much hassle and not the sort of relaxed camping experience I'm accustomed to. I think they are wise to this game anyway.

When they told me our club couldn't book to stay at Wasdale, I did consider contacting the BMC to lobby the NT to allow use by BMC affiliated clubs. But then decided that actually, it wasn't going to suit the ethos of our club anyway. We are diverse and inclusive, with a number of members on low incomes who simply wouldn't be able to afford those prices and would therefore be excluded from participating if we had a meet there.
CathS - on 24 May 2013
In reply to xplorer:
>
> I've stayed there loads of times, always found it to be relatively standard pricing.

£15+ per person per night to camp in the UK isn't my idea of standard pricing!!
xplorer on 24 May 2013
You're all divas
In reply to xplorer:
> You're all divas

How do you figure that from what people have said on the thread?
featuresforfeet - on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Arf!

Stayed at Langdale a few years back and was kept awake all night be a huge group having a bonfire party. Thought I was paying a premium for a managed site but I guess not. Wildcamping is the way to go, the general public are generally awful.
MattJP - on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Last time we went camping was to Bays Brown as Langdale was full. Its a nice big site with great facilities but wasnt a great experience for us. We had Jack who was almost one at the time so a nice quiet camping trip was required.

We camped nearish the loo block for convenience, on the back of headging/wall thinking it was perfect.
Unfortunately on the other side of the wall was the main access road to the toilet block which got very noisy with folk coming and going to the loos at night and in the morning.

some young pups thought rhat no one could hear their music through their car window which was really loud, until I had a word.

PLus some d1ckhead decided to camp between us and a neighbour which crossed our guy ropes!

All in all, pretty carp experience. If I was to go again, I would certainly choose our pitch much more carefully.
In reply to MattJP:

"We camped nearish the loo block for convenience, on the back of headging/wall thinking it was perfect.
Unfortunately on the other side of the wall was the main access road to the toilet block which got very noisy with folk coming and going to the loos at night and in the morning."

It's never quiet by the bogs on a campsite...

Neil
xplorer on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Jesus.....

I'm only kidding, tenner a night though if you just turn up, how can you argue with that.

£3.60 I think if you walk there like i do.
xplorer on 24 May 2013
In reply to CathS:

Any in the lakes cheaper than a tenner you would like to share
In reply to xplorer:
>
> Jesus.....
>
> I'm only kidding, tenner a night though if you just turn up, how can you argue with that.
>
> £3.60 I think if you walk there like i do.

Not according to them.
In reply to xplorer:

Baybrown two miles down the valley is £5 a night per person, £3 for a child, £2.50 for a car and free for dogs.
In reply to xplorer:

Turner Hall Farm, Duddon Valley - £7
Wasdale (not the NT one) - £5

to name just two :-)
xplorer on 24 May 2013

How much is it walking then according to them
Billy the fish - on 24 May 2013
In reply to xplorer:
>
> Jesus.....
>
> I'm only kidding, tenner a night though if you just turn up, how can you argue with that.
>
> £3.60 I think if you walk there like i do.

Try an online booking for one person.
First you find you can only book for two nights or more, then add the booking fee, then discover you have no option but to pay for a car. Cheapest option available is £42 for a Friday/Sat visit.

As said above, if the site is full then as a business it works for them. But, I thought the NT were a charity, not just here to finance an overpaid board still living in the same period as most of their houses date from.
Itís a shame, it may be busy in the summer but how many people, like me, are put off visiting for the rest of the year when itís quieter? How many people are barred from something as basic as a campsite because of the price?
xplorer on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Can't speak for turner hall farm - how is it?
But the wasdale one is pretty pants in comparison to NT don't you think.
In reply to xplorer:

£12.50 not including any booking fee.
Mal Grey - on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

I too used to love Langdale NT, and we went there most New Years and Easters in the 90's. Sadly my more recent experiences are the same as folk above.

However, whilst I still think it was pricey, we've just had a really good experience with the NT site at Low Wray. A large and loose group of paddlers arranged to meet there in March, the weekend the snow dumped. We all booked separately, but they clearly knew we were a group. Not only did they make suggestions as to the best pitches for access to the lake, but they also rang each and everyone of us separately when the snow meant access would be difficult, asking if we'd like to postpone. En mass we changed to last weekend, and had an excellent 2 nights. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. And we had all still paid the March rates, no additional charges for moving to May.

Think mine came to about £25 for the 2 nights (just me). Still feels a bit pricey for fairly rough ground (but good facilities). However this is probably just karma, as in 1990 a few of us stayed there one night, spent all our money in the Drunken Duck so we couldn't afford the fees, and had to hide in the woods when the lad came round for them in the morning. Wasn't deliberate, but not to be condoned! I owed them a return trip I guess.
xplorer on 24 May 2013

Not for turning up on public transport or walking though. Which in my opinion is much better than taking the car or van down.
In reply to xplorer:
> (In reply to The New NickB)
>
> Not for turning up on public transport or walking though. Which in my opinion is much better than taking the car or van down.

Strange that this isn't mentioned on their website, yet all other charges are.
In reply to xplorer:

But you do recognise that to get there most people need their car, right?
In reply to xplorer:
>
> Can't speak for turner hall farm - how is it?

It used to be one of the Lake District's best kept camping secrets - but now most people know about it. Lovely site, friendly owners, pretty good facilities, idyllic location, great pub nearby. Trying to remember what the catch is...

In reply to Mal Grey:

My neighbour and his wife camp with a group of six or seven other couples at Low Wray, arriving by sailing boat, and they've said it was great there.
In reply to Tall Clare:

There's a decent if slightly infrequent bus service down to the Dungeon Ghyll from Ambleside. Big problem, though, is that it doesn't run late enough to get there from a train from London after work.

I have wondered if public transport companies ever really think about stuff like that. In tourist areas like this, they should!

Neil
winhill - on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

the £5.50 is for over 16s, not children, and the booking fee is per pitch not person, even so I can't make their online booking system work - it isn't changing from mid to high season for next weekend and the figures it's quoting for this weekend aren't something that adds up from the prices on the website. The figure isn't broken down on the online booking so you can't see what their charging for what. Still £41 a night though!

I'd want free use of the goblin teasmaid for that sort of money.
In reply to winhill:
>
> the £5.50 is for over 16s, not children, and the booking fee is per pitch not person,

Um - I didn't suggest the £5.50 was for a child - and CathS mentioned that each person in her group was expected to pay the booking fee.

> even so I can't make their online booking system work - it isn't changing from mid to high season for next weekend and the figures it's quoting for this weekend aren't something that adds up from the prices on the website. The figure isn't broken down on the online booking so you can't see what their charging for what. Still £41 a night though!
>
> I'd want free use of the goblin teasmaid for that sort of money.

Hahaaa! Agreed!

gethin_allen on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
Personally I find it very similar to a lot of places in the honey pot regions of the Lake district; overpriced and not that great. Last time I stayed at the Langdale site was a few years back but it cost a fortune and we had to endure the rancid smells of the sewage system that wasn't able to cope with the full site. Considering they are very popular (so the site is probably full very often) and they charge so much, you'd think they could sort the toilets out.
In reply to xplorer:
>
> Not for turning up on public transport or walking though. Which in my opinion is much better than taking the car or van down.

I have twice camped at Langdale NT having walked to the first time having walked from Rydal Water, the second time from Coniston. I don't remember the exact price either time, the first time was 19 years ago and may have been £3-4pp, the second probably 5 years ago and more like £7pp.

It is the last 3 years that the pricing structure has changed significantly.
SCrossley on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
Camping in the lakes is crap now, overpriced and noisy at peak times when I have to go. Join a club and camp in their grounds or stop in the hut. To camp at Brackenclose costs £2.50 with stunning views down Wast Water.
xplorer on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

No I know what you mean, but for myself travelling on my own, it's fairly easy and cheap £26 pound return on train from manchester, and then £7 on the bus. I leave my house at 7 and I'm at windermere for 9.

Obviously for families and bigger groups driving is a lot easier.

xplorer on 24 May 2013

Honestly if you walk it's only £3.60 or public transport I think it's £5.20 a night.

For solo travellers you really can't beat it. I was in langdale from Thursday to Monday last weekend and I only spent £120. Travel, campsite, food and beers. I did end up spending £150 on a new bouldering mat aswell though just because I couldn't be arsed carrying my old one the the train....... Wally
ads.ukclimbing.com
In reply to xplorer:

I have to say that's a pretty good deal with good timings! I take it that's morning you're referring to, otherwise how late do buses run to Ambleside/up Langdale?
xplorer on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Yea the train is 7.20am to windermere, then bus to ambleside, then bus to langdale. Again i must admit you do have to leave quite early as I think the last bus is 1845 to langdale.

I do it quite often and never had a bad experience with the langdale site. But for families I can see it does get pretty expensive. As it does with cars aswell.

Maybe park at ODG ruff yourself up abit so you looked like you had just walked 20 miles, and get the green discount...... Haha
xplorer on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

PS you didn't happen to be at the surprise view car park near hathersage three weeks did you?
toad - on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: The last time I enquired when the next bus was, the reply was "Easter". It may be better now...
In reply to xplorer:

No, I sort of wandered nearby with three other women and a wilful pointer four weeks ago though...
xplorer on 24 May 2013
In reply to toad:

Hahaha, I'm pretty sure they run in winter aswell, unless I was on a phantom bus.
MG - on 24 May 2013
I see "immoral activities" are banned on the site in the regulations. Do you think they have a list? Is sandbagging immoral?
peas65 - on 24 May 2013
In reply to xplorer:

I stay on many campsites in the lakes with work and we never pay more than £6-7 per person, often cheaper.
Obviously the plush camping/caravananning ones can be more.

In reply to xplorer:

I have just done some research on the green booking policy, the information isn't on the website, but I have found out what the deal is. It is a £5 discount per pitch, ie. £5 of the charge is a parking charge.

So off low season a lone camper could pay as little as £3.25 for a nights camping and a couple £8.75 for a nights camping. That is good value, but you have to know about it to claim it. High season it would £7.50 for a lone camper and £13 for couple, still not outrageous, starting to get expensive considering you are not getting any parking as part of that. Pre-book and you lose that £5 discount, on a single night stay at least, it starts looking very expensive.
Albert Tatlock - on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Join one of the climbing clubs which have a hut in the valley,approx £4 a night per person, which includes proper bed,kitchen,lounge,bogs,parking and no booking fee.
Sean Kelly - on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: Baysbrown Farm at Chapel Stile. Excellent!
MFB - on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Try and clarify costs and conditions for Langdale campsite .
cost for a backpacker during the off season £3.25 per night
cost for a large family tent (6m by 7m) aug bank hol £22.50 per night - additional adults £5.50 per night.
For that you get access to some of the greatest walking and climbing in the uk and when your finished hot showers and a drying room
This weekend '2 person, car and small tent' is £9 per head per night
The £5 booking fee is explicit and optional
Climbing clubs Ė 3 clubs on site this weekend, always pleased to have mountaineering fraternity onsite
Backpackers Ė never turn backpackers away Ė will always find space somewhere
Income
When the cost of running the campsite have been covered additional income is used by the National Trust to pay for conservation work.
In the valley we have planted endangered juniper over side pike, several thousand trees have been planted and fenced to the left of Raven crag, we have worked alongside the BMC to fence and stabilise Raven crag, on the campsite we have built a biomass boiler, a new sewage treatment plant (part of a larger windermere water quality program) and we are currently planning a discrete hydro plant in stickle ghyll in addition footpaths, gates, stiles, farms and water courses are all managed by NT to conserve the landscape. In this respect we differ from most commercial campsites
We just built a bouldering wall free for all comers
Have a good weekend Ė go climbing
Best regards
John Kelly
Manager
Langdale campsite
Kelcat - on 24 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: In response to the question about the Stickle Barn Tavern:
I for one don't like it now. I don't really understand why the NT felt the need to buy what was obviously a hugely viable business (other than a desire to coin it in) and then turn it into a quite bland version of what it was before.
There's now a display of various NT sites in photographs upstairs - its in the heart of Langdale - celebrate that! The food has changed to an attempt to be far more 'gastro' & a lot less filling& the prices gone up, but they have added WiFi. Outside is now an utter mess of picnic tables - you'd be hard pressed not to bump the person next to you on a summer's day (if we ever get one).
Don't know if they're still putting on entertainments.

I will add; I've never been a huge fan of change.
duchessofmalfi - on 25 May 2013
The £5 booking fee is a total rip off.

It does not cost £5 to book - it doesn't cost the NT anything to hold bookings and if they say otherwise they are talking shite.

The NT (according to its own statements) has a responsibility to protect the environment and our heritage and provide to access for everyone.

The booking fee is anti demand management - it discourages booking and this reduces the ability of users and the NT to manage demand and crowding.

The booking fee does not promote access for everyone because it disproportionately penalises sole campers making short visits without vehicles.

Booking should cost nothing because it is part of the core service (like water, grass and the drying room) and should be vanishing inexpensive to provide (if the NT thinks it costs £5 then they are out of their minds or have an insane business model).

I've always thought the staff at Langdale to be decent - I'd be very interested to hear if JK thinks the booking fee is a good thing. The NT don't appear to be able to justify it.

It is Ryan Air pricing pure and simple.

The NT should offer booking and if this was consistent with its objective it should be free or even £-ve (ie it costs more not to book).

I would encourage everyone who thinks it is a rip off to let the NT know:
enquiries@nationaltrust.org.uk
MFB - on 25 May 2013

I guess the main thing is that you have the choice, you can use the campsite without ever paying a booking fee or you can book a pitch in advance.

have a good bank hol
john

In reply to MFB:

This is an odd answer to the points raised because it doesn't address any of the objections!

By way of illustration let's examine who is most disadvantaged:

-Single young hiker, low income, no car, no choice. Booking essential, location essential, fee >100% of base price.

Now who is least disadvantaged:

Chelsea tractor toting stock brokers, fat car, lots of choice, location largely optional but like camping, fee ~small fraction of base price and trivial compared with the cost of getting there.

Does this promote access for all and protect the environment?

While the costs of these campsites are not trivial they provide a decent service in the terms John Kelly put above with the exception of the booking fees which is an anomalous, rip off and at odds with the NT's purpose.

I do note they have changed the policy slightly since it was first introduced - they used to charge £7.50 to phone a booking!

The New NickB - on 25 May 2013

To be fair the person you describe as most disadvantaged doesn't have to book and can access the cheapest rate, £3.25-£7.50 depending on the season.

I don't like the pricing structure and the website is set up to encourage you to use the booking system with the £5 surcharge, but it is what it is and hopefully this thread has let people know that can still be a cheap option for backpackers out of high season.

I am still going to Baysbrown next week.
xplorer on 25 May 2013

Completely disagree. You obviously haven't researched or stayed at the site.

I stayed there for 4 days last week, and spent 120 including site, food, travel, etc etc.

Really don't understand your post at all.

What other site has all the facilities of langdale at a cheaper price. None
In reply to xplorer:
> (In reply to duchessofmalfi)
>
> What other site has all the facilities of langdale at a cheaper price. None

As we are now in peak season, most of them.
In reply to xplorer:

Bugger off xplorer go and troll elsewhere
ads.ukclimbing.com
xplorer on 25 May 2013

Hahaha. Ok so a civilised discussion is out of the question then. Never mind, I'll keep visit langdale nt and keep enjoying it. With a great location, great facilities, green, cheap (for me)

I hate people who use the word troll. Any excuse to point your troll sized finger. I think num num must have rattled your cage prior to langdale and this post
xplorer on 25 May 2013

Name a few, with the same or more facilities
xplorer on 25 May 2013

Name a few, with the same or more facilities

It's not about saving a couple of quid here and there, I never climbers were so tight
In reply to xplorer:
>
> Name a few, with the same or more facilities

It has got a couple of toilet / showers blocks, that is standard across 95% of Lake District. That happens to be all I want, but let's not pretend the site has facilities on par with some of the sites people will be familiar with in Europe.

> It's not about saving a couple of quid here and there, I never climbers were so tight.

I am happy to pay a premium if I am getting a premium product, but as better sites in equally good locations can be had, I will choose those. I may use NT G.Langdale as a backpack stop off season, when it does offer good value.

The three night stay I am having in Langdale next week (2 adult, 1 child and 1 dog) will cost
me £46.50 at Baysbrown or £81 at the NT site. Not a fortune, but I would not actually gaining anything from paying the extra £35.

I am sure the NT won't miss my business.

Leave xplorer alone, he'll go away eventually, he has much form for this sort of thing.
Niall - on 25 May 2013
In reply to MG:
> I see "immoral activities" are banned on the site in the regulations. Do you think they have a list? Is sandbagging immoral?

Sandbagging. Teabagging. Carpetbagging.

All immoral, all banned.
estivoautumnal - on 25 May 2013
> (In reply to MFB)
>
>
> Chelsea tractor toting stock brokers, fat car,

Hmm. Just your average camper then?

Get a grip.

xplorer on 25 May 2013

Haha come on dear, get a grip. I'm putting a valid first hand view across. Like I've said in previous posts, if you cared to look.

For me traveling and camping on my own, it's a good fair deal. How can you disagree with that unless your a pauper.

It's seems you are the troll, you have no valid argument, have you even stayed there, I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't even a climber
xplorer on 25 May 2013

No I completely with you.

The nt langdale site is always busy so the views here must be a minority.

As we all know, if you have a good experiance you don't normally go out of your way to tell people, but if you have a bad experiance then you will tell ten people.

There's always going to be someone who isn't happy. That's business
stuart58 - on 25 May 2013
In reply to MFB: I think you really need to listen to people this not the first time I heard people moan about your site. I used to use it every weekend even when ut was flooded and rats on the site. I wont use it. You are ruining a lovely valley. Speak to locals you are so money orientated.
rholdswo - on 30 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
Just come back from the Langstrath campsite. £5 a night per adult, children £3, under 5s free, no other charges. Very friendly owner who even brought his landrover on to site to jump start our car. Superb local pub and all the joys of borrowdale area climbing. No showers but some beautiful wild swimming in Langstrath.
Richard Alderton - on 30 May 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

I have *some* sympathy for the NT. Like much of the Lakes, Langdale is a busy place, and I suspect the campsite (& parking) would be overwhelmed if the prices were cheaper and the rules more relaxed.

Not a lot of sympathy though. It's a fantastic valley spoiled by aggressive management from the fun police. Whatever good work they do on footpaths, or restoring stately homes, or whatever other crap they do is undone as soon as you have an encounter with that campsite. It's not a pleasant place, and it's particularly unfriendly towards small groups.

Chapel Stile or wild camping for me. Which is shame, because I like to stumble from the ODG.

Don't get me started on their monopoly on parking.
Jamie Abbott - on 31 May 2013
In reply to rholdswo: A fiver a night WITH NO SHOWER! That's almost as bad value as Langdale NT site!!

I'm very reluctant to pay the exorbitant prices at Langdale but can see me taking our little one in a few years (in off-peak season) as it's in such a nice location.

Could one carry one's gear in and get the 'green deal' whilst parking near the Stickle Barn with an NT members badge?!?

Cheers,
Jamie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.